ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. M24

M24

If it helps, I just happened to send my revised scores to @Wills and I increased by half a point two songs from them that grew on me. I'm tempted to rank them higher but honestly I tried to make my ballot as even as my tastes would allow, and I don't want to have all the 9Muses songs too high xD.

vague likes this.
  2. I work with Excel every single day of my damn life

and I swear I couldn't have picked a stupider way to organize commentary

and there's not even that MUCH of it

please forgive me (and notify me) if any of yours gets missed, I'm... not very good at my job.

vague, junkos, evilsin and 9 others like this.
  3. VOTING LINES ARE CLOSED

and have been for nearly 12 hours, but who's counting? I've finished compiling everything and triple-checked everyone's scores, mostly because I forgot a colon after BOYFRIEND - My Lady, which torpedoed a bunch of my data entry fff.

Given how long this took, I'll only be posting one result tonight. But first...

A round of applause for our 23 participants:

@Wills
    @Slice of Life
    @aux
    @RUNAWAY
    @thommyh
    @camden_italian
    @BeingNormal
    @junglefish
    @Hurricane Drunk
    @Monkey0
    @ysev
    @evilsin
    @junkos
    @Joli Chat
    @codecat
    @Remorque
    @roblognick
    @Crisp X
    @Ana Raquel
    @soratami
    @vague
    @M24
    @Empty Shoebox

You were always my top 23 favourite unnies, this just confirms it ♡

Yes, that includes me ♡​

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2018

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @RUNAWAY (8.5) @vague (7.75) @Remorque
    HATE TO SEE IT: (2) @roblognick (3) @Joli Chat (3.5) @M24
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 7

As voted by you: the worst Sweetune single. Surprised? I can’t imagine many of you are.

I didn’t get around to introducing TARGET, so a brief (promise!) history lesson: despite this being their official Korean debut, the group had released a pre-debut single… in 2014, four years prior. And if you all thought you hated this

Their early work positioned them as a rap-focused idol group, which carried forward to ‘Awake’. One thing I love about Sweetune: they’ve often managed to carve out unique sounds for groups, even when drawing from roughly the same pool of influences. It’s interesting to hear their take on a hip-hop concept; the track ends up playing like a tug-of war, with their usual focus on melody and harmony relegated to the chorus.

You’ll soon learn that a 7 is a pretty conservative score from me, landing below my average. (What can I say? I love Sweetune!) But even if this isn’t one of my favourites, I think it has its merits; I can’t help but get a biT caught up in the drama of the middle eight, where you just know they were dying to put a key change.

But you’re not here to listen to me talk nice about this – and frankly, it’s hard to argue this being first out. M24 confirms he came to the right rate: “I hate this one… the raps and the meh chorus. Sweetune's production saves it from being a total disaster.” They gave it their all! And Monkey0 compares it unfavourably to other works: “Watered down Infinite sound, which is not the worst thing.” Quick, someone make me that “BEYONCÉ?” gif but with “INFINITE?”.

To no one’s surprise, the sound of men rapping doesn’t translate to forum success. junkos notes, “The rappers’ voices are so unpleasant” – I assume this was written at 0:44, no one deserves to hear a grown man squeak like that. And Joli Chat provides spoilers for anyone who can’t bother listening: “Imagine an annoying rap break, just heavily featured throughout the track.” About sums it up, I suppose.

We’ll finish with RUNAWAY, who will quickly become my favourite just for hyping absolutely everything up: “This chorus is everything. This reminds me of the old days of K-pop, and I’m falling in love with this group.” And that’s the final word!

… nah, we’ll wrap with lowest scorer roblognick: “Nope, I hate almost everything about the way this song sounds.” You’re in good company, babe.

Below is the video, which inexplicably has a bunch of medical/blood imagery, I assume they were going for EXO ‘Lucky One’ on a budget. The theme’s woven into the choreo in some cool ways, but you probably won’t notice over the really sick tracksuits they’re all wearing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. Well it’s neither BOYFRIEND nor ROMEO but that’ll do! I think it’s actually my second lowest score oop. The raps are lowkey demonic.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    BeingNormal, vague, M24 and 11 others like this.
  6. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

THE GLOW-UP!!!! WIG!

vague, Monkey0, Joli Chat and 10 others like this.
  7. Ok today was a nightmare so I'm off to bed, but one quick note before I go: as I'm doing write-ups, I'll inevitably be throwing pronouns around as segues between thoughts (though I'll try to default to they/them as much as poss). If ever I get yours wrong, please feel free to let me know here or via DM. The Sweetune Singles Rate is for all of us ♡♡♡​

vague, M24, junkos and 16 others like this.
  8. I only gave out three 4s (my lowest score) in this rate and this was one of them nn. Good riddance!!

vague, junkos, Joli Chat and 9 others like this.
  9. Not me being in the highest scores bracket with a 7.75 though.

Honestly, I really didn't mind Awake, because that chorus is underwhelmingly kinda great. The rapping hehe ain't all that, but let's not act like there's not much worse around in the genre ddddd.

vague and Wills like this.
  10. I gave this a four because it's unremarkable.

vague, Remorque and Wills like this.
  11. Honestly it’s a safe assumption that apart from those listed, pretty much everyone gave that song a 4 nn.

vague, Joli Chat, Remorque and 10 others like this.
  12. I actually gave that a 6. I wasn't expecting it to go first but not like I'm mad about it either.

I could see the bottom 10 being all men, but as for the first song with female vocals to get eliminated... It is hard to tell because there aren't really any terrible ones. Maybe one of the pre-Wanna KARA songs?

13. I'm sorry. I really wanted to be one of your favorite unnies, too, but I just didn't have time to finish my scores.

I will be following the rate, though!

vague, Remorque, thommyh and 6 others like this.
  14. It'll be one of my zeroes.

15. Poor @RUNAWAY, this is going to be another painful rate for the hun. I almost gave this a 4, but then I heard some nice instrumental flurishes, so I had to bump it a little. I also believe it was the only track that I considered giving a 4 to.

vague, Remorque, Wills and 2 others like this.
  16. M24

M24

Wow, that was a good first elimination for me!

To be honest, maybe I underscored it a bit, because notwithstanding the raps, the pre-chorus is actually great. I think what dragged down my score was the chorus: I particularly dislike the harsh/brash vocal delivery in between the "I'm still awake" bits. If they had gone for a softer tone, I might have enjoyed it more... but then that would make them sound more similar to groups like Infinite, Boyfriend or Snuper, and that wasn't the intention, was it?

I hadn't watched the MV... they look cute and dance well! Even nugus are pretty impressive in visual output, I daresay. Kpop really has a high quality bar in that sense.

17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2014

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (9.5) @RUNAWAY (9) @camden_italian (8.75) @ysev
    HATE TO SEE IT: (1) @roblognick, @Empty Shoebox (2) @Wills, @soratami
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 2

It’s my distinct pleasure to present the actual worst Sweetune single. As you’ll come to learn, I actually quite like BOYFRIEND, but this landed my lowest score in the rate for one simple reason:

This song is boring as hell.

'White Out' was originally included on the Witch EP, since all Kpop releases require a treacly ballad or two. But this stands out for a couple reasons: a) it’s somehow worse than most treacly Kpop ballads, and b) it was inexplicably pushed as a follow-up single.

Sweetune downtempos typically take the ‘80s prom or power ballad approach, but this seems to draw more from the ‘90s, meaning it sounds like something buried on a Backstreet Boys album that would get pushed as the fifth single and blow up on soft rock radio. My roommate knows nothing about Kpop, and she agreed with this assessment – I had to involve her because I kept trying to write about this and coming up empty.

roblognick foreshadows some later commentary: “Oh my f**king God, what were they thinking with that drip noise?! Worse than that infinite song with the flick noise.” Honestly I hadn’t even noticed it until just now, the fact that anything about this stood out to you is a Christmas miracle.

Except not! M24 wonders, “Is this a christmas song? I want an excuse to tank this kii. Suddenly the grinch is me.” I was actually a bit more lenient when I thought this was a Christmas track, at least then the single treatment would make sense.

We’ll end on a positive note from RUNAWAY: “This is such an outlier in Sweetune’s discography for me. A soulful ballad is so unexpected from them, but it’s stunning as usual. Their vocals were fantastic on this track as well <3” But he didn’t give it a 10 so you know he actually fucking hates it.

Below is the video, which features one of the guys in a beret. It’s about two-thirds of the way through if you really care to see it, please don’t endure the entire thing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  18. I'm most of the way done the next elimination, but I'm going to hold it until tomorrow - I timed this rate super poorly, aligning with my busiest season at work, so I want to make sure I always have one in the chamber in case an 8am-10pm workday shows up out of nowhere. Once I've banked a few, I'll up the pace to two a day, so I thank you unnies for your patience until then! <3

vague, junkos, Monkey0 and 12 others like this.
  19. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

It's ok unnie. Real life should always come first ♡♡♡

vague, junkos, Monkey0 and 11 others like this.
  20. I noticed the drip noise immediately and I've never been able to get it out of my consciousness since, but even worse than the song itself, which is unremarkable and worthy of a 00's boy or girl group deep cut, is the video. What the actual fuck?

Some of those scenes look cheap as hell, the fake crying and the fashion? Honey...

Although I would agree that wearing that fugly beret without an ounce of shame is a bit iconic.

vague, Monkey0, Joli Chat and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.