ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Wow, we really dropped an artillery shell here, didn't we?

vague, Joli Chat, soratami and 2 others like this.
  2. Today's eliminations brought to you by Boyfriend by BOYFRIEND

Maybe if you'd listened to this first, y'all would have been a little nicer to them fffffff. They overcame so much!

junkos, vague, Joli Chat and 9 others like this.
  3. merry christmas but why are we eliminating stuff i scored fairly high!!!!!!!!!!!

vague, Joli Chat, soratami and 2 others like this.
  4. What is... this? I've never heard a drum beat clash this much with the instrumentals ffff

5. You know I have ALL the time in the world for this GIF!...even though my husband is hiding in the back eating.

vague and Wills like this.
  6. [​IMG]

vague likes this.
  7. Y'all so ugly for tanking SNUPER like that.

vague, ysev, RUNAWAY and 1 other person like this.
  8. There are two other SNUPER songs that can leave early tbh. The other ones better make the top 30 at the very least.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    vague, ysev and Wills like this.
  9. *Sungyeol ASMR voice* Merry Christmas~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2011

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @camden_italian, @Monkey0 (8.5) @aux, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @Hurricane Drunk, @ysev (8) @Wills, @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (0) @Empty Stocking (1) @soratami (4) @roblognick (5) @evilsin
    AS FOR ME: it’s an 8

Well, how’s that for timing? After a few false alarms, our one actual Christmas song finally bows out. I say “finally” because it feels like this has been brought up more often than anything else, though looking back, it’s mostly @camden_italian dreading its eventual departure. I hope it stuck around a bit longer than you expected, unnie!

‘White Confession (Lately)’ is our first INFINITE cut, maybe a sign they were running out of steam a bit after a whopping five single releases in 2011. For my part, I think this is absolutely lovely – one of the few modern Christmas songs I can properly get behind. It’s also the only one I can listen to year-round, helped mostly by the fact I don’t speak Korean, but also because it keeps most of the overt Christmas-isms to a minimum.

INFINITE has no shortage of killer choruses in their arsenal, and I think this is one of their most timeless. It’s a wistful, nostalgic melody that Sungkyu and Woohyun imbue with so much warmth – perfect for a chilly holiday gathering, and even better/more devastating in a year where so many of us are distant from our loved ones. I also really like the decision to end this on a wordless, hummed refrain; it’s a graceful way of ending on a more subdued note, while not sacrificing runtime by axing the final chorus.

Crisp X calls this “A lovely Christmas pop rock anthem,” and M24 breaks his low-scoring streak: “I was going to give it a low score at first, but I can't resist the SARANGHAEs sung with such passion! I might be overscoring it a little, but since it's technically a christmas song, it's going to need my points as you grinches will probably tank it right after hearing "merry christmas".” Hmm. Thoughts, roblognick? “So I don’t know much Korean and the song finally made sense when the whisper of "Merry Christmas" came on towards the end. But no, just too sickly sweet for me.” Coal!

camden_italian opted to forego commentary for everything but his 11. Luckily, he provided an impassioned plea for his faves in the early days of the thread. Let’s revisit that now:

Thanks for helping me pad this one out, sis!

[​IMG]

Below is the video, which is the exact type of corny, over-earnest nonsense I hate nn. Watching adult men lose their marbles over sticking fingers in a nutcracker……………………………….. ok. But it’s the holidays, so I’ll keep it cute and note that their little dinner party looks like a lovely time. Also, Hoya’s minimum-effort giftwrapping is a whole mood, I knew he was my favourite for a reason.

junkos, Love Deluxe, vague and 17 others like this.
  10. Not the freaking Christmas song being cut on the 25th ajdjshhd the STUNTERY

junkos, Love Deluxe, vague and 16 others like this.
  11. They hate baby Jesus and love up in here.

vague, M24, Joli Chat and 6 others like this.
  12. *queues up over used voice over thats in EVERY YouTube compilation video*...”I am DISGUSTED...”

Well isn’t that just a wonderful Christmas gift? I knew it would be first out from Infinite but I thank all the unnies for not letting it scrape the bottom of the barrel. Now any Infinite song elimination after this...well no, there maybe is one or two more I will kind of understand, but the rest I will take personally, LOL.

vague, M24, Joli Chat and 5 others like this.
  13. Me last week realising how much I’d need to pick up the pace:

[​IMG]

junkos, vague, M24 and 11 others like this.
  14. That triple Boyfriend cull was truly iconic, not sure if in a good way, but iconic for sure. Also not the Hyuna feat leaving before 'The art of seduction' omg

vague, codecat, thommyh and 1 other person like this.
  15. Hello! The run-up to Christmas was v exhausting and I'm now enjoying some time to decompress, so I will be taking a couple days to shirk all responsibilities. Eliminations will resume Monday, though possibly sooner if I get bored. I hope everyone is well!!!

junkos, vague, roblognick and 13 others like this.
  16. M24

M24

This rate moves fast, thank you for all your work during this christmas week, @Wills!

I'm not surprised with the Boyfriend-cull. I think "Love Style" and "Bounce" should be the next two to go, while "Janus" and "I Yah" might last a little longer.

Neither am I too shocked with "White Confession" leaving (amazing to time the elimination right on the 25th!!), it did fairly well for a christmas song.

The weird elimination for me so far is Snuper's "Dear" falling before "Back:Hug" or "The Star of Stars", neither of which I enjoyed too much.

Anyway, I think it's time for TST, or Golden Child to lose a few songs.. they're way overdue.

But "The Art of Seduction" is a bop!!!!!!!!!!! I gave it a very high score for my standards.

vague, roblognick, Joli Chat and 3 others like this.
  17. My like does not apply to this bit!

junkos, vague, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  18. Welcome back! I hope everyone’s having a lovely(z) holiday season. My couple days off were spent resting, yes, but also working on other projects that may be debuting here soon. Anticipate!

Now, where were we?

Ah yes, culling all the boygroups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2017

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @junglefish (9) @Ana Raquel, @vague (8.5) @Slice of Life, @aux, @Crisp X (8) @RUNAWAY, @ysev
    HATE TO SEE IT: (1) @Hurricane Drunk (4) @M24 (6) @Monkey0, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 6.5

TST becomes the latest male act to take a hit. They were also the last of the “big” (re: number of songs) boygroups intact, leaving only BEAST, Eric Nam, ROMEO, and Golden Child with one or two songs apiece. Released only three days into 2017, ‘She’ was the group’s debut, back when they were still known as TopSecret. It was also accompanied by their Time’s Up EP, and if you know anything about the group, you’ll know why that title’s an absolute fucking mess.

‘She’ is certainly jammy enough, but I agree it’s one of their weaker tracks, so I’m not sad to see it go first. Listening to this, it sounds like an all-out assault of hooks, and yet… none of them really stick for me. The “this love” post-chorus is a lowkey earworm, but it really needed to be tethered to a stronger chorus melody.

Naturally, the production on this is polished, with tons of different synth textures on show. That said – again – they’re not really used in interesting ways: usually, Sweetune crafts busy instrumentals in service of a greater musical idea. Here, it just feels overstuffed to the point of tedium. The only bit I find memorable is this:

… does anyone else hear that in the chorus? fff it kept reminding me of a ringtone from my past, and I think it’s that.

It seems like most of you found this similarly unremarkable, summed up nicely by M24: “I still can't remember how it goes no matter how many times I listen haha.” The rest of you just commented on the boys themselves. BeingNormal sees a diamond in the nugu rough: “K has a nice actor face, such a wasted visual.” They’re not an unattractive group of boys, are they?

I always suggest doing your homework before a rate, but RUNAWAY highlights some of the pitfalls: “reading up on these guys….oh my god even more tragedy. Another member passing away, and one being convicted of sexual assault….oh my god. The song was good, but now I feel really weird listening to them.” We won’t be giving too much thread space to one of those guys, but… Yohan really was such a star, wasn’t he? We’ll chat more about him later. And hey, at least you didn’t lose another 10! Which reminds me: @junglefish sis, this one surprised me a bit! What did it for you?

Below is the video, which offers a look at their eventual filming process once the budget starts to dry up. The first half is a bit too pastel for my liking, and it’s improved by all the neon later on, but – like the song itself – for having so much going on, it doesn’t leave much of an impression.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    junkos, M24, Love Deluxe and 16 others like this.
  19. Only one elimination today, but the next four will be coming in the form of two ties. On the subject of pace - how are we feeling? Do we prefer one or two eliminations per day? (I'd offer 3+, but I know I can't commit to that dd.) Let me know your thoughts!

Also, I just realized that I forgot final scoreboards for the TARGET and ToHeart farewell posts, so I've gone back and added those. I've also included a Controversy Index, to give you an idea of which songs had the greatest variance in scores. Spoiler: 'Delicious' was controversial!

junkos, Love Deluxe, vague and 12 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.