ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I'm okay with 1-2 eliminations a day! 3 might be a little too much for you especially since you write a lot for every single elimination post. But the pacing so far is perfect!

vague, ysev, evilsin and 9 others like this.
  2. I think do what you can so you’re happy with the finished product. I think you’ve been running this superbly so far. If you want to do final posts but that means maybe only one (or no) elimination(s) then I don’t see a problem with that personally. I’m really enjoying seeing ans reading the result of this rate.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    vague, thommyh, ysev and 5 others like this.
  3. Whatever pace works for you my friend! And have no fear about my lack of commentary bar my 11, I'm sure I told you when I sent my scores in, I am holding off my long windedness, aka tirades, depending on what their final scores end up. LOL

OH, and people weren't ready for Delicious then...or now apparently, but @RUNAWAY and I know a good thing when we see/hear it!

vague, RUNAWAY, Monkey0 and 2 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2019

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @Monkey0 (9.5) @junkos (9) @camden_italian (8.75) @RUNAWAY (8.5) @aux, @Remorque
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4) @soratami (5) @codecat, @roblognick, @Ana Raquel, @M24, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 6

We break into the 7.000 averages with our first tie of the rate, beginning with IZ’s ‘Memento’. This was the group’s third and final 2019 release, capping off the year’s most prolific Sweetune partnership – if not the one we all wanted.

I bundle this with previous elimination ‘The Day’ as IZ’s most nondescript work, though I scored this half a point lower. It’s stadium rock by-the-numbers, right down to the chorused vocals, which serve as a weak stand-in for Sweetune’s patented layering – a pitfall of only having one vocalist to work with, I suppose.

Really, nothing about this sounds much like Sweetune; it’s polished, but to a fault – it goes down easy, but leaves no impression once it’s done. The only bits I find compelling are the hyper-processed vocals that bookend the track – it’s nice that BigHit was willing to lend out their vocalists for the day. Other than that, I feel like I’ve heard this song a million times, none of which I particularly cared for.

Singer Jihoo’s vocals polarized: high-scorer Monkey0 calls this a “Strong rock ballad that shows how great the main vocalist is,” but thommyh disagrees: “I know those vocals are very strong and ppl will be stanning it for the perhaps rawness of emotional vocal colours display... etc

But ma'am it sounds all over the place.” For my part, I found the vocals… fine, just like everything else about this song!

Finally, M24 sums up my ambivalence perfectly: “This is the first IZ song I find absolutely… boring. Too generic.”

Below is the video, which is just as beige as the song. I’m guessing this whole package was intended as a year-end “gift for the fans” or something, which was a bit of a gamble. What if both their fans had been out of town for the weekend? This could’ve flopped even harder!

Part two of the tie coming later today. It’s a little more noteworthy than this one!

junkos, M24, Love Deluxe and 14 others like this.
  5. fff
    [​IMG]
    Sending this to ARMY Twitter if STEP doesn’t win.

Love Deluxe, vague, ysev and 10 others like this.

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2008

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal (9.5) @aux (9) @Hurricane Drunk, @codecat, @Remorque
    HATE TO SEE IT: (0) @Empty Shoebox (4) @Wills, @junkos (5) @Slice of Life, @ysev
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 4

Invented Sweetune. Invented KARA. Invented this rate. Invented not totally getting it right on the first try, but laying the groundwork for something far better. Invented bussy.

In addition to all the above firsts, ‘Rock U’ becomes our first girlgroup track to fall. This song was KARA’s big comeback after their concept overhaul, ending the “strong female” phase of their careers in favour of a “pretty but natural” appeal. I…

Conceptual messiness aside, this track provided the jumping-off point for everything we love about KARA and Sweetune, i.e. the 71 songs with a higher score than this. Without ‘Rock U’, there would be no rate.

And yet… I have basically zero room in my heart for this. I’m sorry to the unnies who gave this a high score, but I think it’s a bit of a mess nn. It has some bizarrely good elements, like the classy horn swells and killer guitar outro, which would eventually be used in far better Sweetune songs. Here, though, everything’s wrapped in such an unbearably infantile package, I just… can’t. I dunno y’all, I just don’t see it. 1 point for composition, 3 for legacy, and I don’t think I’ll ever be looking back.

If my commentary feels a bit overly negative, fear not: most of you have a lot more appreciation for this, and it’s your turn to take the floor. At worst, your criticism was gentle: thommyh notes, “This is kind of fun in theory but it's such a haphazard arrangement,” and Joli Chat likes everything except the central refrain dd: “the ‘rock your body I say’ part is giving me a headache, the rest is pretty good!”.

Apparently he was the only one who actually watched the video, which helpfully displays the lyrics two million times. roblognick says, “This song gets two or three more points just because of the iconic 'rock your bussy' lyrics,” which are not the correct words, meaning his score becomes a 5 and this becomes our #75 song! But apparently this condition is contagious: Crisp X sets up her summoning circle and chants “Rock your bussay, rock your bussay, rock your bussaaaaaay,” presumably channelling Kim Seunghee to mourn jumping ship right before things took off.

M24 hears something else entirely: “I hate the "rock your bossy", "shake it, shake it" bits! The rest of the song is alright, in fact the chorus is catchy, too bad you can still hear the aforementioned chants in the background. I'm unsure how I should rate it. It's one of those songs that are easy to hate but you can't help but bop a little in shame.

[​IMG]

But as much as I hate this, democracy has spoken, so we’ll give the final word to our 10-givers. BeingNormal correctly identifies the best bit: “The electric guitar in the last part of the song is definitely the highlight, but the overall chill vibes of this song that gets me.” And ‘Rock U’ is the reason RUNAWAY’s with us in the first place - a major redeeming quality in my books:

What can I even say about Rock U…..this was the song that got me into K-Pop. This song is the reason I’m here today, and why KARA are STILL my ultimate group. I have to thank this song for introducing me to my bias Jiyoung (AN ICON.) I still have fancams and performances from this era saved on my computer, and this really was the birth of my love of K-Pop. Literally whenever I’m going through a rough time, this song instantly makes everything better for me, and it’s like...my happy place.

Below is the video, which plays like a lost episode of The Big Comfy Couch. Was that even a thing outside Canada?

[​IMG]

Jiyoung wishes! But seriously, what’s with this whole package serving children’s weekday programming?

... wait.

Is this intended to be a children’s song?

Are we rating a children’s song?

Jesus Christ.

BeingNormal, junkos, M24 and 17 others like this.
  7. Exactly this.

vague, Cotton Park and Wills like this.
  8. @junglefish watching that 144p monstrosity trying to find a suitable banner image:

[​IMG]

9. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

@Empty Shoebox is now officially dis-invited from the KARA rate.

This result is absolutely tragic. This song never fails to warm my heart. One of the main reasons why I love this song so much isn't because of the memories, but the fun they had when performing the song. It was used as the final song on their first Japanese tour, and it's still such a heartwarming moment with the girls interacting with their fans and being silly and stupid with each other. They're completely in on the joke with this song, and you can totally tell with their concert performances:

BeingNormal, vague, soratami and 9 others like this.
  10. It's fine, but it's certainly weaker than any other KARA song in the running.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    vague, thommyh, Joli Chat and 4 others like this.
  11. Not everybody appreciates experimental early phase of KARA. I get why but Rock U is very era-specific sound and aesthetic which aged quite a lot. I wouldn't call it that infantile s we had girl groups wearing diapers years later.

vague, Wills and RUNAWAY like this.
  12. So...Rock U was actually one of my lowest scoring songs (and yet I wasn’t one of the lowest voters which tells you, spoiler alert, how high my score range was.) I’ll be honest though, when I first turned it on...I thought you guys were playing a joke on me. I was like all the HYPE for Kara and then this is it...not to worry, I saw the light immediately after however, for a split second I was concerned.

vague, Cotton Park, thommyh and 3 others like this.
  13. Yep yep yep this one and a bunch of other KARA videos TESTED ME. @DSP what's good?

BeingNormal, vague, ysev and 6 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2012

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @thommyh, @camden_italian (9.75) @RUNAWAY (9) @soratami, @vague (8) @Monkey0
    HATE TO SEE IT: (3) @Wills (5) @evilsin, @Empty Shoebox (5.75) @junkos (6) @Hurricane Drunk, @ysev, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 3

Are the KARA floodgates beginning to open? Spoiler: no, but they do take their second hit immediately after the first. Well, sort of – tbh I don’t really consider these solos part of their oeuvre, except that doing so saved me a few graphics and writeups dd. ‘Lost’ was Nicole’s contribution to the 2012 KARA Solo Collection. Like her bandmates’ songs, it received a full video treatment, though it wasn’t given the usual promotional push on music shows, etc.

I realise this looks bad coming right after ‘Rock U’, and I promise I didn’t tank all the girlgroup songs ffffffff – I just agree with their elimination order more than the boys, which has been all over the map, let's talk about THAT! It probably doesn’t help that I have very little to say about this song, but truthfully, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten through it without zoning out. It’s a sultry, jazzy number, which isn’t a style that resonates with me.

Obviously, I liked this a lot less than most of you; unfortunately, only a couple of you provided commentary, so I’m no closer to understanding the appeal. Neither of you were exactly slathering on the praise, either: Crisp X finds this a bit overfamiliar - “Gives me a big feeling of “I’ve heard this before”” – and M24 damns with faint praise, despite scoring this half a point above his personal average: “It's cute enough, I like the sophisticated jazzy style in this one. Proves Sweetune are not just about dance-pop. It's not my favorite though, hence the low score.

For any other stans out there, please feel free to tell me why I’m wrong about this one!!!

Below is the video – as always, Nicole looks great, the dancing is nice, the uh… lighting is good… idk, y’all really forced me to filibuster on my third-lowest score in the rate dddddddd.

Tie pt. 2 coming later... maybe. It's my first major loss of the rate, so we'll see how petulant I get about it!

junkos, M24, Love Deluxe and 16 others like this.
  15. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Noooooooooooœr this is not the worst of the KARA solos T______T

16. BeingNormal, vague, soratami and 12 others like this.
  17. Nicole got a 10 from me simply because this is the type of music I grew up on with my older brother and sisters. I get a kick out of KPOP songs that take me back to a specific moment of time when I was younger without being stereotypically “retro”.

@thommyh I have ALL the time in the world for you using that Monique GIF. I need to learn how to post them for the rest of the Infinite scores, hahaha.

vague, Cotton Park, soratami and 5 others like this.
  18. This one was just not it. Sorry.

vague likes this.
  19. Ok so this didn’t happen at all, actually I just hadn’t slept well the night before so I passed out early and remained asleep for a million hours.

HOWEVER

I’m still not very happy with you.

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2017

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10) @thommyh, @roblognick (9.5) @Wills (9) @BeingNormal, @junglefish (8) @Ana Raquel, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox
    HATE TO SEE IT: (0) @Hurricane Drunk (4) @Joli Chat (4.5) @M24 (6) @Monkey0, @evilsin
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9.5

TST continues to lose tracks in chronological order, meaning we’re still in TopSecret territory here, though this was their final release before changing their (international) name. This is my first 9+ score I’ve lost, and also my favourite TST track of all.

Of course, I’d be a fool to expect this to get much further. Songs like this are polarizing by nature - when some of y’all talk about liking Cignature for being ~demonic~ or w/e, this is the closest I can get to relating. Obviously, ‘Mind Control’ lives or dies by its post-chorus, and I think it’s a total knockout – up there with BA-BANANA, which might be the highest honour I can bestow. The way it starts as a simple title chant, only to become increasingly frenzied as it’s pitch-shifted into the earth’s core and out to the cosmos… you know that hetero meme of someone’s brain expanding and exploding? It’s that, in song form. I lopped half a point off for not having one final go-round at the end – the interpolation is cute, but the omission is a glaring flaw.

So that’s my favourite bit, but the rest also holds up as a solid Sweetune composition. The first verse is oddly vacant, and I’m kind of obsessed with this decision – I’m always a fan of empty space to let a track breathe, and doing it so soon really spotlights the (excellent) instrumental. That said, I do wonder if this factored into Monkey0’s commentary: “One of the weakest Sweetune tracks, sounds unfinished and surprisngly simple production wise.

As I pointed out earlier, this track polarized, and there was more negative commentary. Joli Chat appears to have missed the song title: “OMG that post chorus, why are they screaming ‘MY CONSOLE’???? What does that means???” dd fine, I kinda hear it. Elsewhere, M24 seems to be on the correct trajectory: “The chants… the "ewww ewww" parts of the chorus … the rap… * mama, this is garbage.gif *. EDIT: Wait, the "ew"s are now stuck in my head… send help! Ugh, I raised it by a point for that.” Just you wait sis, it’s coming for you!

Blessedly, not everyone hated this, and I’m so glad I’m not alone in my obsession with the post-chorus. BeingNormal calls this “Delightfully weird, I like the shouty hook,” and roblognick just fucking gets it: “The song is called Mind Control and the hooks in this are designed to do just that. That whistle melody. The catchy chorus. The post chorus harmonies that go against the tune. I wish I could give a second 11 in this rate! The video is absolute garbage, boys. Did they people that made Romeo Target do this one too?

Below is the video, which I actually LIKE thank you very much, but I also like the ‘Target’ vid so it’s probably a taste issue on my end. It’s certainly not the most polished in the rate, but the choreo’s so snappy and fits the track perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    BeingNormal, junkos, M24 and 17 others like this.
  20. Now that is a mess. Even @Empty Shoebox gave it a good score so I don’t know what’s wrong with the low scorers.

BeingNormal, vague, Joli Chat and 8 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.