ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. I was gonna demand to know why @Slice of Life and @RUNAWAY liked this instead of forcibly removing you from the forum, but it lined me up for a new page so I'll look past it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2011

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 5) @Slice of Life, @camden_italian, @Monkey0, @junkos, @Joli Chat (9.25) @RUNAWAY (9) @Ana Raquel, @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4) @soratami (5) @Crisp X (5.5) @M24 (6) @thommyh, @Empty Shoebox (6.25) @ysev
    AS FOR ME: it’s an 8.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @thommyh (6), @Crisp X (5), @soratami (4)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

After riding out the first half more-or-less intact, Infinite now takes their third hit since reaching the top 50. ‘Nothing’s Over’ came from the group’s first single album, Infinitize, and the B-side ‘Shot’ is exceptional so y’all should check it out. This was their biggest hit to date, but also their final release as relative nugus before striking gold with ‘Be Mine’ a few months later.

I do consider this a lesser Infinite track, but I say that like a parent who feels wrong for admitting the truth. I tend to prefer their heavier-weight cuts, and this is practically a Boyfriend song. That said, this is one of those songs that I always appreciate more as I’m listening to it than when I think about it later.

I think the main reason is that the first half of the chorus (i.e. the bit where they repeat the title ad nauseum) is the weakest part of the song – it’s cute, but its sing-song nature makes for a poor centrepiece. This does the second half a disservice, as it's where the track properly pulls itself together, deploying an excellent vocal blend and great use of empty space. The song’s best decision was to use the key change to move straight into this refrain after Hoya's rap, forgoing the call-and-response.

Of course, this is a “hardest on the ones you love” situation, and truthfully it’s one of the only times I’m able criticize Infinite’s work without my brain melting into a puddle of stan goo. I’m pretty sure I had to score this 45 minutes after listening just to avoid a reflexive 10 ddd.

thommyh continues his rein of terror with a take I can’t really rebut: “Plz this is a debut-era Justin Bieber demo…” ff I hear it and I hate you. M24 falls prey to the siren call of illicit substances: “I keep hearing "nothing sober" kii. Not my favorite song from Infinite, but it's decent. I don't know why it's considered one of their best singles.” Wait is it? Not in my house it’s not!

RUNAWAY dusts off his decade-old stan card: “seeing L get the iconic first lines on this song was fantastic as an early fan, and this was BEFORE Be Mine. Their career and discography is just so amazing.” Tea! And Joli Chat uses a word that’s never before been used to describe this song: “bop, vocals are quite gritty tho, especially in the chorus” I get what you mean but calling this "gritty" is sending me fhasjkldhaslk, Infinite crust punk kings!!

Finally, Monkey0 justifies his ten… and lowkey this rate’s entire existence: “Perfect example how Sweetune can capture this bittersweet, nostalgic feeling in seemingly cute bop.” Ugh they’re really just the best, aren’t they?

Below is the video and I honestly hate the DIY styling of it all fff. I really relate to Sungyeol though – being bummed about a heartbreak or whatever, yes, but then being plagued by well-intentioned irritants trying to cheer you up by being absolute clowns. If they really cared, they’d order him takeout and sit with him in silence. Seeing him drive off still scowling makes for an exceptional ending.

… wait, oh no, from the YouTube comments: “I understand this MV now. They're all comforting Sungyeol for literally not having any lines back then. ;_;” Bye!

2. Top 40

KARA
    Rock U
    Pretty Girl
    Honey
    Wanna
    Mr.
    Lupin
    Jumping

We’re With You
    Step
    Pandora
    Damaged Lady

Lost (feat. Jeong Jinwoon) (Nicole solo)
    Mama (Nicole solo)

Guilty (Sungyeon solo)
    Daydream (Gyuri solo)
    Midnight Queen (Hara solo)

INFINITE
    She’s Back
    BTD (Before the Dawn)
    Nothing’s Over
    Be Mine
    Paradise

White Confession (Lately)
    The Chaser
    Man in Love
    Last Romeo

60Sec (Sunggyu solo)

Rainbow
    A
    Mach

Heo Youngsaeng
    Let it Go (feat. Hyuna)
    The Art of Seduction

9Muses
    Figaro
    News
    Ticket
    Dolls
    Wild
    Gun
    Glue

BOYFRIEND
    Don’t Touch My Girl
    I’ll Be There
    Love Style
    Be My Shine

Janus
    My Lady
    I Yah
    On & On
    Obsession
    Witch
    White Out
    Bounce

SPICA
    Russian Roulette
    Lonely
    Ghost

BEAST
    Hateful Person

Stellar
    Study
    Marionette
    Mask

Fool

ToHeart
    Delicious
    Tell Me Why

Eric Nam
    Ooh Ooh (feat. Hoya)

ROMEO
    Lovesick
    Target

SNUPER
    Shall We Dance
    Platonic Love
    You=Heaven
    It’s Raining
    Back:Hug
    The Star of Stars

Dear

100%
    Better Day
    Sketch U

A.DE
    Good Time

TST
    She
    Mind Control
    Love Story

Paradise
    Wake Up

TARGET
    Hot Feeling
    Awake
    Beautiful

Golden Child
    It’s U
    Lady

Lovelyz
    That Day
    Lost N Found

Delight (Jiae solo)
    Gone (Jin solo)

IZ
    Eden
    Final Kiss

Memento
    The Day

KEEMBO
    Scandalous
    Scene

Untouched Since Top 50

Rainbow
    9Muses
    SPICA
    Stellar
    ROMEO
    SNUPER
    Lovelyz
    KEEMBO

Elevens Remaining

22 / 22

3. Honestly bar two or three songs, all those are incredible. I expect 9Muses and Rainbow to stay untouched for a while.

My ideal top 30 would be:
    [​IMG]

Luck, ysev, Joli Chat and 7 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2014

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 4) @aux, @Monkey0, @Joli Chat, @Remorque (9.5) @Wills, @Slice of Life, @vague (8.75) @RUNAWAY
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @ysev, @M24 (6) @BeingNormal (6.5) @Hurricane Drunk
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @RUNAWAY (8.75), @BeingNormal (6), @ysev (5), @Crisp X (7)

They’ve done well to make it this far, but Spica takes their first hit just inside our top 40, leaving Rainbow, 9Muses, and Keembo as the remaining intact groups. Normally I’d ramble about this being their final Sweetune collaboration, but that hardly seems relevant now that Keembo are on the scene (kii!).

‘Ghost’ was released as a digital single in late 2014; more specifically, it was released as Autumn X Sweetune Special Ghost… which feels like doing a bit much for a track that sold less than 10% of their previous release oop. Granted, this wasn’t given a full promotion, instead only receiving a lowkey festival performance... but it still strikes as a bizarre management decision in a long, long line of bizarre management decisions.

Go figure my favourite Spica song would be the first out asdfjkhd. Still, top 40 is no slouch, especially with such a perilously low BPM. Sweetune’s been responsible for some of the warmest, most affecting ballads I’ve heard in Kpop, and this is no exception – far from being cold and haunting, as its title might suggest, ‘Ghost’ has the ladies delivering heartbreak over a billowing, rock-inflected instrumental. My favourite element is the steady piano line, comforting in its simplicity.

And really, “simplicity” sums this up perfectly: it’s one of Sweetune’s most straightforward productions, allowing the members to flex their instruments, unencumbered, over the top. As expected, BoA and Bohyung deliver a powerful performance for the chorus; when they come out of the key change… ugh, my heart, unnies. Even more impressive is when Narae and Juhyun join them at the end, more than holding their own; I knew Spica boasted incredible vocals, but this track especially lets everyone shine. This was easily one of my biggest discoveries of the rate, and I’d love to hear Keembo take on a similar sound. (No, ‘Thank You, Anyway’ doesn’t count on account of not being very good fff)

Where I was floored, M24 was bored: “Great vocals (especially one of them emotes beautifully!), sort of a boring ballad though? Too bad really, because I absolutely adored Sweetune's first down-tempos of the rate (in the style of Guilty).roblognick agrees that this is their finest, but there’s a caveat: “Love being introduced to a girl group I've not listened to before. Sadly all their songs in this rate sound a bit like b-sides with this being my favourite of them all.

Thankfully, someone understands my enthusiasm – Joli Chat acknowledges the rightful heirs to the Vocal Group throne, while maybe throwing shade at no one in particular ddd? “where were all the vocalist's purists when SPICA needed them the most????? That’s right, unfairly tanking Iz*one in the ksoty” Can’t decide whether to respond with a M*mamoo joke or an and-i’ll-do-it-again gif, so we’ll wrap it there!

Below is the video, which deploys more filters than the guy I suspect I’m being catfished by. It seems there’s a narrative happening, but I’ve already put more effort into this writeup than anyone involved with this release put into securing a budget, so I’ll leave it for you unnies to sleuth out.

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2012

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 6) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @camden_italian, @junglefish, @Monkey0 (9) @BeingNormal
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @codecat (6) @Hurricane Drunk (6.25) @thommyh
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 7.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @thommyh (6.25), @codecat (5), @Crisp X (7), @vague (8)

We’re so close to the 8.000 mark! Falling just shy of this milestone is Seungyeon’s ‘Guilty’, officially making ‘Midnight Queen’ our favourite KARA solo. I feel like this one’s a bit of a surprise? I’d have expected it to go at least a bit further. Like ‘Lost’ and ‘Daydeam’ before it, ‘Guilty’ was included on KARA Solo Collection, got a MV, etc etc, you’ve heard this one before.

I call this one Opportunity Cost: The Musical. The opening minute had me gearing up to hand out my eleven: beginning with atmospheric synths and mellow guitar, the first verse features some of the finest mood-setting across the entire rate. The intensity is then cranked as a violin line is joined by distorted guitars – as you can probably guess, I’m not exactly knowledgeable about metal, but I love the contrast in dynamics here. From the low-end all the way up to Seungyeon’s vocals, the arrangement swells to become enormous, swallowing up just about everything else in the rate.

But then the chorus happens… and the whole thing collapses in on itself. A couple quick guitar chugs seem to signal a climax, but then it feels like everything gets pulled back a bit, as if to make room for all the pieces coming together. My best guess is that Sweetune didn’t want this section to dwarf the rest of the song in volume; I suppose this makes sense for radio play, but I wish they’d gone all-in and let the explosion happen. Listening to it now, I think the percussion is the biggest offender – it just feels… neutered.

In a lesser song, this probably wouldn’t bother me so much, but everything else here is so perfect. Seungyeon sounds amazing, every instrumental line feels thoughtful and compelling… but then the centrepiece rolls around, and without fail, I’m pulled out of it. That said, I’d love to hear them give this concept another shot – literally nothing would make me happier than hearing them nail it.

I should also admit a bit of bias because this reminds me of the first group I ever stanned… but I’ll let Crisp X tell you about that: “Evanescence found calling a lawyer.” Ok but if Seungyeon managed to find solo success as the Korean Amy Lee… a serve methinks! Dreamcatcher found quaking!

M24 discovered a new side to the rate: “I didn't expect that power ballad chorus! Great ballad (first I listen to from Sweetune) and it doesn't disappoint.” while Monkey0 finds himself aligned with the forum consensus: “One of best KARA's solo songs.” Finally, RUNAWAY feels how I so badly wish I could, so he gets the final say: “amazing, absolutely amazing. Her vocal talent is incredible, and I wish she would make a comeback. What a song.

Below is the video, which is a story of two halves: the first part sees Seungyeon looking snatched, singing her little lungs out in a derelict palace of sorts. Quibbles with the song aside… this feels like such a superstar-is-born moment, I’m obsessed!

But then things take a turn as she heads out to the desert, serving mall emo for the gods. Unfortunately, it seems they’re having none of it, as they promptly start trying to smite Seungyeon and her band. Maybe Sweetune neutered their chorus to avoid deafening the audience with corny explosions?

6. Three in a row yuppppp, at this pace my 11 should be my last lowest score remaining; eliminated all the way at #1.
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, Luck, ysev and 12 others like this.
  7. I miss Seungyeon.

ysev, vague, Wills and 2 others like this.
  8. Deserved better but I knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later dd
    @codecat
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, Luck, ysev and 8 others like this.
  9. Ghost and Guilty back to back...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    ysev, vague, thommyh and 7 others like this.
  10. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Here she is!

ysev, vague, thommyh and 4 others like this.
  11. Seungyoun deserved Top 20.

ysev, vague, RUNAWAY and 1 other person like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like the look of trepidation, like even he knows they've outstayed their welcome and are about to get dragged when everyone's reminded this was still in.

YEAR: 2015

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 4) @RUNAWAY, @junkos, @roblognick, @Crisp X (9) @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @evilsin, @Ana Raquel
    HATE TO SEE IT: (6) @Joli Chat, @soratami (6.5) @aux, @junglefish, @codecat
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 7.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (6.5), @junglefish (6.5), @Monkey0 (7), @Remorque (7.25), @vague (8)

asdhsafkj ok I’ll start right off by saying: who saw this coming?? It’s not like a major gag or anything, but I truly never expected a damn ROMEO song to last this long. Not to mention that it’s the last of the smaller boygroups’ tracks to fall! This leaves only Infinite, Snuper, and Boyfriend up against… pretty much all the ggs we started with ddd.

‘Target’ was Romeo’s second and final Sweetune title, following which they basically disappeared off the face of the earth. I just did a little digging and it sounds like there was a scandal with one of the members, because ofc there was. Anyways…

It’s funny that this falls right after right after ‘Guilty’, as not only did I give them the same score, I have the same issue with them: I hate the chorus ffff. The first part of this is brilliant – the synth intro is bright and energetic, and the first verse sounds like something NCT Dream wish they'd done before becoming NCT 128. I especially love the backing vocals here – they’re lowkey corny in a musical theatre kind of way, but it works.

And then the chorus shows up and completely torpedoes the arrangement. I find the vocal line here so dreadfully monotonous and shouty, like a weird, D-tier, live-action Disney movie moment. Honestly, it just sounds really lazy ahfjskhf, like they couldn’t be bothered to write an actual topline. It also totally drowns out the instrumental, so I couldn't tell you if it's any good or not. It reminds me a lot of The Boyz’ ‘Right Here’, which spoils a similarly great arrangement on a totally uninteresting chorus.

So once again, instead of being impressed by what is, I’m disappointed by what could’ve been. Go figure I’d manage to land myself in the minority on this one, too! While M24 provides a modest endorsement – “Seventeen vibes! I bop a little.” – Crisp X is more effusive: “One of the catchiest songs out of the entire songlist, and that’s a fact! Can’t believe I hadn’t listened to it in years until recently.

Once again, RUNAWAY runs away with a new fave: “5 years later and the MV doesn’t even have a million views…...oh my god poor guys, they’re so underrated. This song was FANTASTIC, and I see myself getting very into their music.” ddd that’s gonna be a short journey for you, sis!

Finally, roblognick stans the part I hate: “Every time this song plays I think I've overscored it, until that chorus kicks in. Just so catchy and joyous.” I’m glad it works for you unnie!!

Below is the video – I remember someone shading this earlier on, but I’ve been deleting commentary from my Excel doc as I go and can’t be bothered to check ddd. Either way, I… actually really like this! It looks like they’re having fun, but not in the mortifying fake-candid way some other videos do. The camera shake at 3:24 is exactly the type of shit I love!!! But then it all gets a bit weird with the timestop stuff so I advise stopping there.

BeingNormal, junkos, vague and 18 others like this.
  13. ddd wait: I was trawling for tea on Romeo and found this video:

... it kinda seems like he came out?? The YouTube/Reddit comments I'm seeing support that. Maybe it's a misunderstanding but [​IMG] if true! Get him on the forum!!!

BeingNormal, junkos, vague and 14 others like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Oh my god this video is so cute <3 thanks for sharing @Wills!

15. OK, this is a travesty. An absolute travesty. Luckily I'm not drunk this time. I get goosebumps when the chorus kicks in - it's so joyous and enthusiastic. I do totally agree about it sounding very musical theatre in the verses.

Also that video is the cutest thing - I'm going to go do some Romeo digging.

vague and Wills like this.
  16. Funny how I gave this a 9... and I can't remember how the song goes. Oops.

Wills likes this.
  17. Okay, I relistened and now I don't know how I could forget that bombastic chorus. Stellar work.

vague and Wills like this.
  18. Everyone stanning the chorus specifically fff, wbk but

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    junkos, vague, ysev and 8 others like this.
  19. It truly baffles me that this lasted so long nn
    Are you sure y'all listened to the right song?
    [​IMG]

vague, Luck, ysev and 6 others like this.
  20. Did you!?

Wills likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.