ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2011

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 7) @RUNAWAY, @camden_italian, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @junkos, @vague (9) @Slice of Life, @M24
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4) @Empty Shoebox (6) @Hurricane Drunk, @roblognick (6.5) @evilsin (6.75) @thommyh
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 8.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (7), @thommyh (6.75), @roblognick (6), @Crisp X (7), @Empty Shoebox (4)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

We break 8.00! Only took us 36 eliminations to scramble our way out of the 7-averages. As for the climb to 9.00… well, I’ll just say that one’s a lot shorter. This also marks Infinite’s halfway point as their fifth track out, with four remaining.

‘BTD (Before The Dawn)’ was Infinite’s first of five 2011 titles, released only a week into January. The video managed to stir up some controversy by being too violent; as you might expect, it’s tame as fuck, but 2011 was a simpler time. Woollim responded by continuing to let Infinite get pummelled in every subsequent video, and now, a decade on, ONEUS is getting mowed down by a firing squad. Art imitating life, I guess.

This one took the longest to grow on me of any of their titles. My initial impression was that it’s a bit too inert, with melody lines that don’t really go anywhere and a too-plodding beat. To an extent, this still holds true – this is probably the least interesting topline of their career, and I’d rarely choose this over any of their other titles.

All that said, this really has grown on me. That’s thanks mostly to the instrumental – or, more specifically, how it builds. The bass sets a solid foundation right from the start, and as it progresses, more and more elements get piled on: gasping breaths (dumb but it works), violins, and – best of all – the horns in the chorus. The latter ended up being what clicked everything into place for me; they’re by far the liveliest part of the arrangement and make the chorus feel triumphant instead of leaden.

Better yet is the key change with its dramatic-ass strings, followed by the final chorus, which adds rhythmic backing vocals into the mix. I often groan a bit when this pops up on shuffle, but by the time Dongwoo’s rapping over a guitar solo at the end, I’m back to my usual slack-jawed, glassy-eyed state of blind stanning.

Unsurprisingly, this was one of their more polarizing tracks, cementing its place in the middle of the pack. However, none of the low scorers provided commentary, so we get to skip to the good stuff and pretend yall stan too! Although Joli Chat, who gave it the same score I did, threw a touch of shade: “Sounds… Angsty?

Wait nvm I just scrolled over further in my spreadsheet, welcome to stream-of-consciousness writeups with Wills! It’s been a great Lucky Unnies week for thommyh, and he’s back after a brief sojourn in Romeo’s top scorers: “Not a fan of that like.. laminated sheet of paper warbling vocals. Literally they sound underwater for a lot of this fff. Chorus high notes aren't too bad, though.

BeingNormal recognizes Infinite OT7 was actually Infinite OT5, and you know what, that’s tea! “A proto The Chaser. It's pretty funny that Sungjong and Sungyeol are just given "why why" part nn.” And M24 gives this a high score, but with some damning commentary: “I get 90s boy band vibes in particular from this. I love the chorus, even if it's a little repetitive.” ddd wait maybe that's why it’s my least favourite…

We’ll close with 2 of our 7 (!!) ten-givers. Monkey0 sees this as a turning point for the group: “First time they went for darker, synths driven aggressive bop and it paid off so much.” And RUNAWAY clocks why I’m always in such a bad mood with yall: “still such a bop. Infinite deserve more recognition.

Below is the video – I went with the dance version, since the original is incredibly slow & shitty and might be too violent for sensitive unnies. Unfortunately the camera completely fails to film the Scorpion Dance properly, so the whole thing is pointless. Enjoy!

BeingNormal, junkos, vague and 18 others like this.
  2. I was so annoyed by that track, when it was just released, dddd. Everybody around me were raving about it and the scorpion dance and I was like... her?

thommyh and Wills like this.
  3. Sorry for the delay, I’ve been pouting about this next one and had to down a whole bottle of wine to motivate myself to do it. Anyway…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2017

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 5) @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @vague (9.5) @Wills (9) @thommyh, @ysev, @Remorque, @soratami
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4.5) @Hurricane Drunk (5) @M24, @Empty Shoebox (6) @Ana Raquel (7) @aux, @Joli Chat, @roblognick
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (7), @roblognick (7), @Ana Raquel (6), @Empty Shoebox (5)

So look, this is a ten. It’s always been a ten, and the only reason I said it’s a 9.5 is because… I’m dumber some days than others. But it’s such a damn good song and I’ve been bummed to do this elimination, partly because it should’ve been top 10, and partly because this proves that Snuper – even at their peak – aren’t invincible. It’s a sobering realization and one I’m devastated to have to share with you all.

Ok! Now that I’m done acting like a petulant toddler… ‘Back:Hug’. This was Snuper’s first big 2017 title track, and no one outside of a few blogs and our very own forum seemed to care because the GP is ALWAYS wrong. I don’t really have any tea on this because no one cared to write about it, so we’ll jump into the music bit –

This is one of those songs that restores my faith in trop. It’s not quite as trop as, say, ‘The Star of Stars’, but the toot-toot synth is very much there, Sweetune just does a great job of burying it in the iconic ‘80s soundscape. I always worry I’m gonna sound like a boomer talking about the topline! the topline!!!!!!! but sometimes a song really does need a strong melody to work, and this has that in spades.

Sweetune consistently giving Snuper two choruses throughout this period is such a kii, like…. I love TST, but couldn’t they have spared them a melody or two? Both parts of the chorus here are an absolute delight; I think the back half was the strongest hook for me initially, but over time, the first part really sunk in. And then the whole song did. Whew this is good!!!

Time for commentary. We’ll start with the hater: M24 says “A bit too minimalistic for me. I was used to their first few title tracks which were more bombastic.” Next up we have roblognick, who’s shading a song(s?) I can’t think of right now: “It's my favourite K-Pop song called Back Hug.” As long as it’s your favourite!

Moving on, BeingNormal calls this “Snuper best song to date, a rare case of Sweetune success on modernizing their sound” which is 100% tea, except for it being their best song but it’s close. thommyh spotlights the incredible intro: “This has a very interesting production. It's very like... western club bass edm (at the start at least) isn't it?” idk what that means but I’m inclined to agree!!!!

Finally… poor RUNAWAY, but at least he knows what’s up: “I honestly wish we were given more than one 11 here, because this would get my second one. This song is EVERYTHING TO ME, and it deserved to be an enormous hit in Korea, but as usual, taste and talent LOST. the rap sections with Sebin and Taewoong trading lines give me LIFE, and with that Japan money rolling in, they finally got a budget and this MV is INCREDIBLE. The backing dancers! Different sets!! A truly iconic moment for them.” This is absolutely a great backup 11, bih.

Below is the video, it’s maybe a bit grittier than required but it gets the job done. I love playing Spot the Sets with these nugu releases: the desert area might be the one Seungyeon performed in, and the back alley looks a lot like a TRCNG video none of you ever saw, but that I’ll probably post in the no-name boys thread any day now!

Anyway I hope you're all well! Love you all <3​

BeingNormal, junkos, vague and 19 others like this.
  4. Already lost three songs from my ideal top 30 ff
    [​IMG]
    That first chorus is probably the best thing Sweetune has ever done in my opinion, bar STEP, so yeah!!!

vague, Joli Chat, RUNAWAY and 10 others like this.
  5. Those synths in the chorus. Whew.
    [​IMG]

vague, thommyh, Joli Chat and 5 others like this.
  6. How can Back:Hug be out already? It's so iconic!

vague, thommyh, evilsin and 5 others like this.
  7. That was literally the second best boy group song in the rate. A mess.

vague, thommyh, Wills and 3 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @junglefish this is one of my faves ♡

YEAR: 2013

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 4) @camden_italian, @Hurricane Drunk, @Monkey0, @junkos (9.5) @Wills, @vague (9.25) @RUNAWAY
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @ysev (6) @codecat (7) @aux, @evilsin, @roblognick, @Crisp X
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (7), @RUNAWAY (9.25), @ysev (5), @codecat (6), @roblognick (7), @Crisp X (7)

Another song I absolutely love! This one comes as less of a surprise than ‘Back:Hug’, so I won’t be proceeding further down my slippery slope to alcoholism tonight. Or at least not because of this rate!

‘Man in Love’ was the eighth and final entry in Infinite’s initial Sweetune streak. They’d return to collaborate once more after ‘Destiny’, but still, this feels like a victory lap. The entire New Challenge EP felt a bit unambitious, especially after the growth seen on their Paradise album and ‘The Chaser’ the year prior, but it’s also a cute return to their sunnier sound from their early days. The album and title track both did well, hitting #1 and 6 on Gaon, respectively.

This is another song that easily could’ve gotten bumped up to a ten, if not for the absolute titans it’s up against. I’ve tended to prefer Infinite’s darker titles, but this is just… such an absolute burst of sunshine. Its aggressively chipper, major-key melodies really do evoke the rush of falling in love; in an interminable pandemic where that’s a biT off the table, you can imagine how much I’ve been hammering this. It’s weird that such a joyous track could get me in my feelings, but every so often this comes on and… perhaps a single tear rolls daintily down my cheek.

I… really need a boyfriend.

[​IMG]

Only a bit of commentary on this one, and both serve similar brews: Monkey0 calls this “Very The Chaser but make it cute,” and M24 is a Man in Love Like: “This is pretty good! The chorus has a lot of intensity to it, even if it's not as melodic as some other title tracks from them.” Hmmmmm not sure about that melodic piece, but everything else is tea!

Below is the video, and I’m predisposed to hating these “look at what a cute bf I’d be UwU too bad you’ll never get me but I’ll let you pretend!!!” concepts so it’s a bit of a miss for me. The dance scenes with all the prints are fun though, and the way they coordinated the key change with Sungkyu flipping the switch on the rooftop is highkey amazing. Sungjong’s hat is a fucking hate crime though and he should be punished accordingly.

BeingNormal, junkos, ysev and 17 others like this.
  9. If your eyes haven't fallen out yet, some additional light reading: TheBiasList just posted a moment-by-moment breakdown of 'Step' (which, as you might expect, did rather well here). I love this kind of analysis because it takes a track I already adore and points out details I might've missed, elevating the whole thing in the process.

I'd also be remiss not to mention the impact this blog's had on my listening tastes - I've been following it for a couple years to keep abreast of everything coming out, and even if I don't always agree, Nick's takes are always thoughtful and well-written. He's also a total Sweetune nut, which played a major role in fuelling my obsession. So credit where it's due - he's lowkey the reason we're all here!

junkos, ysev, vague and 10 others like this.
  10. Sorry for like fifteen consecutive posts, but just formally announcing - The Sweetune Singles Rate will be on hiatus until Slasher is over! (unless I die unceremoniously the moment my immunity ends dd)

Please follow the thread and watch in horror as @aux's wicked games turn unnies into unnimies!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    junkos, ysev, vague and 12 others like this.
  11. Vote: @Wills

ysev, vague, Luck and 10 others like this.
  12. Kings, queens, and jesters of the court: I'm popping in to let you know my life has crept into complete disarray over the past week, which is why I've not posted despite being dead for several days.

I'll likely be catching up on work & homework today and tomorrow, and then I'm going snowboarding on Saturday, against any semblance of good judgment. But following all that, we'll be back in gear! Thank you all for your patience!

[​IMG]

junkos, ysev, Love Deluxe and 17 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2020

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 4) @aux, @RUNAWAY, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel (9.75) @thommyh, @codecat (9.5) @Slice of Life (9) @Remorque, @soratami
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4.5) @M24 (6) @BeingNormal, @Empty Shoebox (7) @camden_italian, @Hurricane Drunk, @ysev, @evilsin, @Joli Chat, @roblognick
    AS FOR ME: it’s an 8

LUCKY UNNIES*: @BeingNormal (6), @roblognick (7), @M24 (4.5)

Today, Keembo loses their first track – or at least I think so, I haven’t checked in for a fortnight and have no recollection of what’s happened. Ignoring their actual debut that I accidentally omitted, this was our second taste of what the Keembo project would serve up – though it sounds nothing like the first taste, or any subsequent tastes, so the jury’s still out on their artistic direction.

‘99 (Gu Gu)’ is a featherweight summer jam, and I’ll admit I found it pretty underwhelming at first, especially coming on the heels of ‘Scandalous’. Even today, this might be the most carefree, loosely-constructed track in the rate, which makes it feel a little lacking by comparison. That said, it’s grown on me tremendously – there’s a sense of spontaneity and fun here that you don’t get with hyper-calculated compositions, and it’s nice to see everyone let their hair down a bit.

As always, Boa and Bohyung sound incredible. This is a restrained performance by their standards, but there’s power in how they hold back – the little trills bookending each chorus remind us that they’re not to be trifled with, and I love how the vocal melodies and keyboard riffs seem to bounce off each other. At its core, this track’s about rhythm above all else; this makes it an anomaly among Sweetune’s catalogue, but I appreciate the novel approach.

Know who doesn’t? M24, that’s who: “This one just bores me, although I enjoy the instrumentation.” And you know what, I can’t really argue that! So I’ll let RUNAWAY do so instead: “okay Bohyung is vying for my bias spot nowwwwww. Ugh they’re just so stannable. This song is another amazing slice of music, and I’m so glad we have them.” Tea!!! Every day’s a little brighter knowing Keembo’s out there in the world.

Below is the glorified lyric video – the laidback treatment suits the track perfectly, and Boa getting voyeuristic in an Arthur tee is an inspired moment. That said, given that this received virtually no promotion (nor any of their other comebacks), I question whether they’ve really earned that vacation!!!

M24, junkos, ysev and 16 others like this.
  14. BeingNormal, M24, ysev and 14 others like this.
  15. of course my favorite of their songs in the rate is it because i'm balladphobic

thommyh, vague, Luck and 1 other person like this.
  16. Me listening to Scandalous aka my favourite ballad in the rate

[​IMG]

junkos, ysev, Monkey0 and 13 others like this.
  17. Truthfully I’m struggling to get back into the swing of this

And now losing my backup 11 doesn’t help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2016

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 5) @Wills, @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @junglefish, @Monkey0 (9.5) @BeingNormal (9.25) @thommyh (8.75) @ysev, @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (3.5) @Hurricane Drunk (6) @M24 (7) @evilsin, @Joli Chat, @Ana Raquel, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 10

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Hurricane Drunk (3.5), @Ana Raquel (7)

I’ve awarded tens to 10 songs I love dearly, but this is the only one I seriously considered as an eleven. Ultimately, I went with the more… obvious (and honest) choice, but some days I wish I’d gone with this instead. Even if just for the gag of the host losing his eleven first! Since y’all probably need a reminder, this is Snuper’s fifth song to be cut, leaving only ‘Platonic Love’ and ‘The Star of Stars’.

Released as Snuper’s third comeback, ‘It’s Raining’ was a major shift away from the group’s lighthearted first act. Many of the acts in the rate have a track like this, which starts at 100 and seldom lets off the throttle: I’m talking about songs like ‘The Chaser’, ‘Pandora’, ‘Wild’ – all of which are highlights in their respective artists’ discographies. Like those, ‘It’s Raining’ fires on all cylinders as it barrels towards the finish line, only letting up briefly for the occasional breather. It’s a song that seems to condense 3.5 minutes into about 45 seconds; an adrenaline rush with every listen.

Of course, intensity isn’t the only thing this has going for it, and it wisely plays its trump card up front: that gorgeously layered chorus, which does quite little melodically, but allows the instrumental to pick up the slack. But that’s only half the story: later occurrences reveal the first half of the double-barrelled chorus, which boasts the song’s strongest melody. I’ve said it before, but Sweetune truly spoiled Snuper on the chorus front – who’s the golden child now?!
    [​IMG]

Ultimately, this is a distillation of what I consider peak Sweetune: driving and insistent, with every segment feeling carefully considered and no unnecessary bloat to be found. ‘It’s Raining’ is sleek, polished, galvanizing, and an absolute high watermark for everyone involved.

Our panel this time looks conspicuously like the last one! Once again, we’ll let them go head-to-head:

[​IMG]

And once again, we’ll start with M24: “I thought the chorus was boring, but it picks up in the second half. I still can't tank a Snuper song kii maybe I'm a stan.” afghsajk I dunno unnie… RUNAWAY, help me out here: “This was my first actual “comeback” as a fan of theirs. I had consumed their discography and was thirsty for more, and this comeback truly delivered. This song isn’t even my favorite from this era of theirs, but it’s STILL a ten. That’s how powerful they are. If you’re wondering, my favorite is So much in love, as you know I love an R&B midtempo, and when it’s produced by Sweetune, you can’t go wrong.” I think y’all know who I’m siding with on this one!

Below is the video, which fits the tone of the track to a tee. It’s such a shame these guys never properly blew up: I can’t think of more suitable heirs to Infinite’s throne, and it’s heartbreaking that their peak was unfairly truncated. They deserved to be superstars. Yes, SUPERstars. Don't you fucking dare say it.

M24, junkos, ysev and 18 others like this.
  18. Snuperstars.
    [​IMG]
    @Hurricane Drunk you’re a flop.

ysev, Cotton Park, Luck and 9 others like this.
  19. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I FUCKING HATE Y'ALL
    [​IMG]

ysev, vague, Newbie Four and 12 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farewell to ROMEO

I assume no one was waiting for this post, but then I also assumed Romeo would be cut in the first week, so what do I know? I’m still a bit gooped that they lasted as long as they did – it feels like it could’ve easily been... pretty much anyone else in their place. But credit where it’s due: the boys came through with some reasonably popular songs and did well to outlast a bunch of other acts!

After moving on from Sweetune, Romeo released five singles between 2016-2017. And I’m gonna lightning round this one, life’s too short to wax philosophic about every single group!

First came ‘Nightmare’, a summer digital single that came and went with little fanfare, much like the song itself:

Next was ‘Miro’, which sounds like a shit SHINee track. Oh, and for some reason Minho's in the video???? Apparently their flop agency’s CEO used to be SHINee’s manager, and if this song’s any indication of the quality he was sourcing, the past tense makes sense:

Then came the repackage single, ‘Treasure’ – you know things are off the rails when the video's just BTS (in the SZA sense) footage from the original video. I’d say more rude things, but the one remaining Romeo stan might have a Google Alert set up and I have my Insta account in my sig so… anyways here’s ‘Treasure’!

With 2017 came… a surprise serve??? ‘Without U’ is a Brave Brothers track and slaps far more than anything else they’d done since ditching Sweetune. Far from a cultural reset, but it’s so nice to hear them sounding competent again – I may end up using this one a fair bit:

Finally came ‘Stay With Me’ with yet another zero-budget video, the 45 seconds I listened to were pretty boring but maybe it gets amazing right after, no one will ever know:

And then their career imploded! Well, not really, that suggests some melodrama that doesn’t really exist. A few of them joined Mix Nine, and Milo actually made it to the final group! Unfortunately, we all know how that ended – and sadly, the group never bounced back. Allegedly they’re still together, meaning Hunus Ent must be dungeoning them to fund Elris’ incessant comebacks – God knows they don’t have anything else going on.

Anyways, if that was all a bit irreverent… eh, I’m tired and this was overdue. ‘Lovesick’ still slaps, and – if some of you are to be believed – so does ‘Target’. I wish the boys well, and especially the gay(?) one, who I suspect might actually be @RUNAWAY based on the scores.

ROMEO – Final Scoreboard

#38. Target (7.989)
    #55. Lovesick (7.337)

ROMEO – Highest Scorers

#1. @RUNAWAY, @junkos (9.375)
    #3. @Crisp X, @BeingNormal (9.000)
    #5. @Slice of Life (8.750)

ROMEO – Lowest Scorers

#23. @Hurricane Drunk (4.750)
    #22. @soratami (5.500)
    #19. @codecat, @Empty Shoebox, @Joli Chat (6.500)

ROMEO – Controversy Index
    *based on standard deviation, higher index = more controversial

#1. Lovesick (1.661)
    #2. Target (1.307)

ROMEO – Group Average: 7.663

BeingNormal, M24, junkos and 17 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.