ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2017

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 5) @Wills, @RUNAWAY, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @ysev (9.5) @aux, @vague (9) @Slice of Life, @camden_italian
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @M24 (6) @Empty Shoebox (7) @thommyh, @Hurricane Drunk, @Ana Raquel
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 10

LUCKY UNNIES*: @thommyh (7), @Remorque (7.25), @Ana Raquel (7)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

Surprise girls! I'm here to eliminate what is possibly my second favorite song in the rate. Thank you @Wills and curse y'all who didn't give it higher scores. I'll deal with your ass in SLASHER III.

It's no secret that I unashamedly love trop bops. I also love anything retro sounding, so it shouldn't come as a shock that I gave a 10 to The Star of Stars (or 암캐 (Meteor) in Korean. Are meteors even stars? I thought they were just space rocks. Anyway.) The reason why I love trop bops so much, especially in K-Pop, is that they take me somewhere else. There's something at once nostalgic and euphoric about them, and this is exactly why I love this song so much. It's the perfect continuation to the very underrated Back:Hug and cements Snuper as the kings of the soft boys. Sweetune knows how to use synths and they prove it once again, they're sparkly, all over the song but not in an annoying or overdone way. They're a perfect companion to the ethereal feeling that emanates from the instrumental and it's just... a joy for my ears.

This song somehow never fails to lift me up and make me emosh at the same time, which is a feeling I'm sure a lot of cigs can relate to! It's a damn shame Snuper never made it big, because they were coming into their own beautifully. I mean, we all know they could have never been EXO big, but I'm sure with better management, they could have been VICTON big at least. Oh and I know they technically have not disbanded, but their last release was in 2019, so excuse me for speaking in the past tense!

Now let's see what y'all had to say, starting with the king of handing out 10s (this isn't shade), RUNAWAY: “My boys got a repackage!!! And it was ICONIC. I love a cosmic concept, as well as a summer concept, and my favorite boys gave me both. This song gives me so many feelings, and it has the ability to take me right back to where I was the first time I heard it. Iconic, so amazing, and I’m so glad we have this song in our lives.” Preach unnie, preach!!!

The only other person who left commentary for this masterpiece is our esteemed host, Wills:Trop was never the issue. The issue was songwriters treating the toot-toot synth like Mamamoo’s vocals, i.e. thinking it’s enough to elevate a track by itself without additional effort. This isn’t meant to tear down other songs (God knows there are plenty I love), but instead to highlight why I think this works so well: on one hand, the chorus would sound perfect against any production style – it’s yet another timeless Sweetune melody. But beyond that, you can tell the whole thing was built from the ground up to meet the production halfway. For me, the highlight is how the synth line doubles as a vocal melody, making for an incredibly euphoric refrain. Songs like this are why I wish Sweetune were more active today – they’ve always had a knack for marrying classic songcraft with current trends, making total magic in the process.”

M24, Monkey0, Serg. and 18 others like this.
  2. I didn't realise someone else was doing the elimination at first so that first paragraph had me thinking "why is @Wills thanking himself? nn

junkos, Love Deluxe, evilsin and 10 others like this.
  3. KING!!! Thank you for sharing your thots so beautifully - it's wonderful to see someone nail exactly what makes a song so special. I knew I could count on you!!!

[​IMG]

But um. Quick question.

Which one of you creatures is responsible for this?

[​IMG]

4. Despite the overwhelming response to this petition, I’ll have to decline. I won’t take your place @Wills, you’re doing amazingly well. Also I’m sure people actually want this rate to end before the mods have to take over!
    [​IMG]

5. goddammit I thought I had an out

Umm I mean... I did a bit of digging to determine who was trying and FAILING with this smear campaign. The culprit was:
    unable to be determined, y'all saw how Slasher went for me. Luckily I came out of it with connections, so I called up @soratami for another lil detective novel serve. He traced the petition's IP geocache or sumn, and we discovered:
    absolutely nothing - again, refer back to Slasher. But then I noticed that only one person on the forum a) can use PhotoShop and b) hates me.
    @Luck, what's good????

[​IMG]

The graphic is nice though, I'll give you that!

6. the call is coming from inside the house!!

BeingNormal, Monkey0, ysev and 13 others like this.
  7. Scream at the change.org link askjvagu78t!

vague, ysev, Cotton Park and 2 others like this.
  8. Star of Stars is such a great song.

And they are just space rocks.

And I'm not signing any petition. I can't commit to anything.

Especially in a pandemic.

vague, ysev, Wills and 3 others like this.
  9. Oh I love petitions

[​IMG]

vague, ysev, Wills and 7 others like this.
  10. Okay, it’s time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2013

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 6) @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal, @Monkey0, @junkos, @Joli Chat (9.25) @ysev (9) @Wills, @aux, @camden_italian, @Remorque
    HATE TO SEE IT: (4) @soratami (6) @Hurricane Drunk, @M24 (6.75) @codecat (7) @evilsin
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Hurricane Drunk (6), @codecat (6.75), @soratami (4), @vague (8)

Can you believe we’ve been eliminating Boyfriend songs for six months? It’s even more impressive if you don’t go back and check. Despite having more songs than anyone else in the rate, they’re our 11th (of 21) groups to fall – though if anything, I’ve long suspected their overrepresentation hurt their chances more than it helped. Regardless, they managed to get ‘I Yah’ over the line into the top third of the rate – and yes, that’s right, we’re celebrating another milestone just ahead of the top 30!

‘I Yah’ was the single from the Janus repackage, and it feels right that it's their last surviving track – this whole era was flagrantly their peak. I’m sure I said much the same when ‘Janus’ got the boot, but they’d really turned into Infinite matured their sound while maintaining the melodic focus that had always been their trademark. I’ll always be a bit disappointed by the direction they veered off in afterwards, but alas.

To be honest, this didn’t work for me at first, and it wasn’t until late in the game that it climbed to a 9. I found it really monotonous – and, to be fair, it does lack the melodic finesse of their other tracks. But now my impression’s changed: this track’s all about ratcheting up the tension and denying the listener any release (pandemic amirite ladies?)

Ultimately it was the key change that made this click for me – the way it recontextualizes everything else, making it clear just what it was building towards all along. Still, that tension never lets up until the very end – I think my ear’s gotten so accustomed to EDM-style build-and-drop that this threw me, but it also gives the track some amazing staying power.

Okay, I’m almost done writing about Boyfriend forever, so we’re jumping straight into the comments. Monkey0 does her best Woah Vicky impression: “Smash.(I had a joke about that video being a response to Boyfriend’s discography, but they only have 12 songs in the rate and she says it 13 times godDAMMIT) Joli Chat expects us to know what’s going on in his head: “Unnies wait, I think I hear something, is it… a bop?” It is indeed! Your pet iguanas haven’t chewed through your headphones this time.

Honestly M24 kinda spills: “Not bad, it's alright. That seems to be my summary of almost every Boyfriend title track haha. Infinite they were not, and Sweetune gave them their worst material..” fshakjf they did get scraps, didn’t they? The holy grail of Kpop boygroups gets invoked more positively by BeingNormal: “Their best attempt at mimicking Infinite sound.

I planned to close with RUNAWAY, expecting another glowing endorsement, but sis had something else brewing for her final Boyfriend 10: “This song is such a bop, but watching all these videos again is like...triggering to me. It’s like that Nine Muses Bini/twitter meme “that ain’t no bang that’s a BOOM” in regards to those terrible fucking haircuts some of the boys had for SO LONG.” Okay tea, but also that ain’t even the half of it…

Below is HIGHKEY THE MOST DISTURBING VIDEO IN THE RATE!!! I can’t stress this enough unnies, something is seriously wrong here. There’s something deeply fucked up about how they filmed the boys’ faces, and I’m not kidding when I say it’s some uncanny valley shit. Mute your audio if you must, but jump to 0:39 and watch a few seconds – first his head inflates like a balloon, and then it seems to float a fixed distance from the camera while his body moves underneath it. Does that look right to you? Does it look godly?

Anyway, the security guard is lowkey the most attractive person in the video. Okay toodles Boyfriend!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    BeingNormal, M24, Monkey0 and 18 others like this.
  11. Top 30

KARA
    Rock U
    Pretty Girl
    Honey
    Wanna
    Mr.
    Lupin
    Jumping

We’re With You
    Step
    Pandora
    Damaged Lady

Lost (feat. Jeong Jinwoon) (Nicole solo)
    Mama (Nicole solo)
    Guilty (Sungyeon solo)
    Daydream (Gyuri solo)

Midnight Queen (Hara solo)

INFINITE
    She’s Back
    BTD (Before the Dawn)
    Nothing’s Over

Be Mine
    Paradise

White Confession (Lately)
    The Chaser
    Man in Love
    Last Romeo

60Sec (Sunggyu solo)

Rainbow
    A
    Mach

Heo Youngsaeng
    Let it Go (feat. Hyuna)
    The Art of Seduction

9Muses
    Figaro
    News
    Ticket
    Dolls
    Wild
    Gun
    Glue

BOYFRIEND
    Don’t Touch My Girl
    I’ll Be There
    Love Style
    Be My Shine

Janus
    My Lady
    I Yah
    On & On
    Obsession
    Witch
    White Out
    Bounce

SPICA
    Russian Roulette
    Lonely

Ghost

BEAST
    Hateful Person

Stellar
    Study
    Marionette
    Mask

Fool

ToHeart
    Delicious
    Tell Me Why

Eric Nam
    Ooh Ooh (feat. Hoya)

ROMEO
    Lovesick
    Target

SNUPER
    Shall We Dance
    Platonic Love
    You=Heaven
    It’s Raining
    Back:Hug
    The Star of Stars

Dear

100%
    Better Day
    Sketch U

A.DE
    Good Time

TST
    She
    Mind Control
    Love Story

Paradise
    Wake Up

TARGET
    Hot Feeling
    Awake
    Beautiful

Golden Child
    It’s U
    Lady

Lovelyz
    That Day
    Lost N Found

Delight (Jiae solo)
    Gone (Jin solo)

IZ
    Eden
    Final Kiss

Memento
    The Day

KEEMBO
    Scandalous
    Scene

Untouched Since Top 40

KARA (full group)
    Rainbow
    9Muses
    Stellar
    Lovelyz

Elevens Remaining

22 / 22

12. 12 songs and not a single one made the top 30

[​IMG]

13. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

RIP in peace to them, but yeah even I can agree that they were out of their depth here with the level of excellence around them. I'm honestly so pleased that Lovelyz are still here as well~ you're doing a fantastic job @Wills oppa!

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farewell to BOYFRIEND

K, no.

I’m not using my 2,500th post on this godforsaken pink forum to further eulogize a group that’s long outstayed their welcome. I love BOYFRIEND, but enough is enough – we all have to move on at some point.

Instead, I’ll just drop this: the B-side to ‘I Yah’, and what I consider their best song ever. I never would’ve discovered it if not for this rate, and for that exact reason, it’s wormed its way extra deep into my heart.

BOYFRIEND – Final Scoreboard

#31. I Yah (8.315)
    #42. Janus (7.793)
    #62. Love Style (7.228)
    #65. Bounce (7.196)
    #76. Don’t Touch My Girl (6.870)
    #77. Obsession (6.848)
    #78. I’ll Be There (6.826)
    #81. Witch (6.661)
    #85. Be My Shine (6.478)
    #89. My Lady (6.326)
    #90. On & On (6.207)
    #92. White Out (5.750)

BOYFRIEND – Highest Scorers

#1. @RUNAWAY (8.875)
    #2. @Monkey0 (8.542)
    #3. @camden_italian (8.042)
    #4. @Remorque (7.958)
    #5. @junkos (7.913)

BOYFRIEND – Lowest Scorers

#23. @soratami (4.083)
    #22. @Empty Shoebox (4.333)
    #21. @M24 (4.917)
    #20. @Hurricane Drunk (5.458)
    #19. @roblognick (5.667)

BOYFRIEND – Controversy Index
    *based on standard deviation, higher index = more controversial

#1. White Out (2.479)
    #2. Love Style (1.863)
    #3. Obsession (1.801)
    #4. On & On (1.613)
    #5. I’ll Be There (1.584)
    #6. My Lady (1.570)
    #7. I Yah (1.538)
    #8. Janus (1.532)
    #9. Bounce (1.530)
    #10. Don’t Touch My Girl (1.527)
    #11. Witch (1.485)
    #12. Be My Shine (1.357)

BOYFRIEND – Group Average: 6.875

BeingNormal, M24, Monkey0 and 19 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2009

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 8) @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @ysev, @codecat, @vague, @M24 (9.25) @thommyh (9) @aux, @Hurricane Drunk, @Ana Raquel
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @Slice of Life (6) @soratami (6.25) @junkos (6.5) @evilsin (7) @Wills, @roblognick, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 7

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Wills (7), @Slice of Life (5), @roblognick (7)

Our first top-30 casualty is the oldest remaining song in the rate, as ‘Honey’ makes its bittersweet exit. We last heard from KARA when ‘Pretty Girl’ was eliminated at #46, sometime during the Reagan administration. This continues the trend of KARA titles being eliminated in chronological order – a pattern befitting a group (and production team) on the rise.

And truthfully, that sums up my feelings about this: as cute as it is, ‘Honey’ only serves as a glimpse of the absolute force that was soon to be unleashed. That said, I also think it’s the earliest true indicator of Sweetune’s potential as songwriters & producers, so I can’t begrudge how beloved it is among y’all. And it certainly is beloved! This cleaned up on high scores, achieving more tens than anything else thus far, and a handful of nines to boot.

Instrumentally, ‘Honey’ represents the first giant step towards Sweetune/KARA’s eventual synth-forward, riff-heavy sound. And really, it’s hard to overstate the synth line’s impact: I’ve always thought it sounds exactly like the ‘Banana Allergy Monkey’ postchorus, i.e. the best part of a legendary song. Paved the way!

The chorus melody here is… well, maybe a bit cloying for my ear, but paired with the instrumental, it’s undeniably infectious. There are a few versions of this floating around; the MV mix features beefed-up synths, but unfortunately, it will never be the definitive version as it lacks the original’s schoolyard chant during the middle-eight. Sad! I’m pretty sure there’s a third version that rectifies this though, so if I ever bother to go looking, perhaps I’ll win too.

Befitting its early-classic status, this attracted no shortage of commentary. Weirdly, the tempo turned out to be a point of contention, with roblognick complaining, “I rarely say this, but I think this song would benefit from being slowed down a little.” Nope, couldn’t be me! Luckily, thommyh sets ha straight: “This breezy double-speed rollerskating while-on-a-date-at-an-arcade anthem. Whew.

Joli Chat attempts to get a rise out of @aux – will it work? “Isn’t it weird how Robyn hasn’t said anything about this?????? Hmmm????” Meanwhile, BeingNormal pays homage to another pop deity – sadly, one who is no longer with us: “Melancholic and bittersweet, sometimes I cried listening to this song, especially after the passing of Hara. RIP queen.” ♡

At their best, KARA have never failed to bring our little forum family together, and this is no exception: ‘Honey’ manages to unite two duelling forces that have been duking it out in the commentary all along. Up first is RUNAWAY, and if you’re reading this, there’s a good chance he Doberman stans you, too: “that instrumental does things to me. This song is heavenly to me, and it’s just one of those songs that stays with you. Like...it’s so melodically perfect in every way, and I fall in love with it even more every listen I have. It’s been that way for over 10 years now, and I don’t see it changing. WHAT. A. SONG.

His praise – and score – are matched by none other than M24, consistently the S*mon Cow*** of the rate: “Now this is a freaking catchy instrumental. The chorus is simple but effective. I can see myself singing it the rest of the week. My second favorite Kara song.” It’s been a few months – you still singing, king?

Below is the video, and I’ve said this before: the intro dance is hilarious, they all look absolutely miserable. Whatever mood they were going for… kinda failed to connect. Luckily they perk up from there, and the styling is light years beyond their previous releases (though still pretty basique by today’s standards), meaning – much like the song itself – this feels like the earliest peek at the stars they’d become.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 19 others like this.
  16. Also! Tomorrow (or whatever)...

...after (a record-breaking? who knows) 63 eliminations...

...someone finally loses their eleven.

Now which gif should I steal from @junglefish this time..................................................ah!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    soratami, Love Deluxe, Serg. and 16 others like this.
  17. soratami, vague, Joli Chat and 8 others like this.
  18. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I think there's one more KARA classique I kinda tanked as well fffffff
    [​IMG]

soratami, junkos, vague and 10 others like this.
  19. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

BeingNormal, soratami, ysev and 10 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.