ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Alrighty, I kept you waiting long enough - time to take a chisel to that immaculate top ten.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2012

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11) @Ana Raquel

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 9) @Wills, @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @camden_italian, @Hurricane Drunk, @Monkey0, @Joli Chat, @soratami (9.5) @junglefish, @junkos (9) @ysev, @evilsin, @codecat, @Crisp X, @Empty Shoebox
    HATE TO SEE IT: (7) @roblognick (8) @thommyh
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 10!!!!!!!!!!

LUCKY UNNIES*: @thommyh (8), @junglefish (9.5), @junkos (9.5), @roblognick (7), @vague (8.5)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

We kick off our top 10 eliminations with an absolute titan of a track. Could this cut be a bit gaggy? Going into the rate, I would’ve expected this to make top 5 at the very least, perhaps even becoming a runner-up to the crown. Alas, it didn’t quite meet my lofty expectations, but a top 10 placement in a rate as competitive as this is still an absolute feat.

In a way, I bet the mere existence of Step hurt this: it’s impossible not to view the two as something of a pair, and comparing anything to Step is just… woefully unfair. I wouldn’t be surprised if folks felt compelled to lop a half-point or so off just to reflect Pandora’s place in that hierarchy.

And if it sounds like I’m speculating… well, I totally am, but also speaking from experience: I had this slotted in as a 9.5 up until the very last minute, but something wasn’t sitting right with my spirit. We’ve recently discussed elsewhere on the subforum that Kpop is so many things, with gargantuan, maximalist anthems comprising one of its many incredible forms. Well, this also happens to be one of my favourite Kpop modes, and I can’t think of a track that better embodies the genre firing on all cylinders.

Pandora has more ideas packed into three minutes than some groups manage across an entire discography. The unifying idea seems to be power – every riff and hook feels optimized for maximum impact, despite taking drastically different paths to get there: the chorus alternates between horn blasts and rhythmic guitar, all with a stunning vocal melody overtop, while the post-chorus employs an abrasive, metal-inspired synth riff. These ideas have nothing to do with each other than being larger-than-life, yet they manage to fit together like some sort of cybernetic rock opera.

But lemme stop there – this is a track so massive it defies description; far be it from me to try reducing it to mere rambling thoughts! At the end of the day, if someone new to the genre asked what Kpop is to me, this is one of the first tracks I’d share – and for managing to embody something so dear to me, it deserves nothing less than a ten.

Pandora was serving the girls ~vibes~, though they couldn’t quite agree on what kind. First we have Crisp X, who gets downright analytical: “I love a main melody that feels like it tells a whole story by itself, that synth is honestly iconic. As for the entire song, it’s almost spy movie-y, especially in the chorus and for that, this gets a high score from moi.” Next up is M24, who’s feeling a bit Halloweeny: “One of my favorites, that instrumental is both spookish and euphoric! The chorus is a grower.” And finally, Joli Chat takes it in a completely different direction: “Definitely has some sailor moon-like vibe going on, love it!” And you know what? I agree with all of the above! We love a track that contains multitudes!

We’ll quickly serve up a shit sandwich with our only piece of middling commentary, courtesy of BeingNormal: “Never understood the hype of this one tbh. Yeah it's good but their best song ? Nah.” Well, you should be happy with this result then, unnie! Monkey0 also had some thots about how this relates to their rest of their catalogue: “Oh y'all thought Step was one time hit? They really are the Queens of dramatic, grandiose anthems.” I wanna say they’d long cemented their reign by the time Step came around, but I’m loving the energy otherwise!

Then, much like the song itself, RUNAWAY fits an entire novel’s worth of ideas into a bite-sized package: “I remember being really shocked at their iconic looks being changed up. Blonde Nicole and blue/green Jiyoung with her iconic long hair being chopped off? A SERVE. It fucking worked, and they delivered one of their most incredible songs yet. I didn’t like the mini album at all which sucked, but when you’ve got a single this good, it doesn’t really matter sometimes.

To close, lemme hand the mic over to eleven-giver Ana Raquel – though anyone who’s been around the forum for awhile will know what’s coming next: “THIS IS STILL THE BEST SONG EVER CREATED IN K-POP AND I'LL SAY THAT EVERY SINGLE TIME I'M ABLE TO!!!!!!!!!

And you know what? I truly can’t argue that!

…or at least I won’t until my eleven drops. Kii!

Below is the video, which – like the song itself – is just quintessential Kpop, through-and-through. Multiple setups, eye-searing use of colour, fancy(?) cars, futuristic(?) furniture, and five deities performing the hell out of every second. These girls were on fire, and it’s only out of mercy they didn’t burn all our other faves down with them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  2. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOO PANDORA SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 5 AT LEAST
    [​IMG]

But that average..... holy shit

soratami, vague, Cotton Park and 15 others like this.
  3. What the FUCK

vague, Love Deluxe, aux and 8 others like this.
  4. BEFORE THE CHASER?????????????????????

soratami, vague, Cotton Park and 5 others like this.
  5. Slice of Life

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I FEEL SO BETRAYED OH MY GODDDDD
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 12 others like this.
  6. Slice of Life

NO WAIT
    YOU ARE A FLOP @Wills
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 11 others like this.
  7. No way.
    I am... gagged. I am... gooped.

I think this is the most shocking elimination yet?? And god knows there have been a lot of shocking eliminations in this rate.
    fff girl it’s a 9.5!!! We should join forces to take down @thommyh and @roblognick.
    [​IMG]

8. Slice of Life

@thommyh @roblognick FLOPS
    [​IMG]

If Pandora flops on the KARA Rate I will make sure this subforum will cease to exist

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 14 others like this.
  9. Nah I just forgot to update that from the last elim lol I gave it a 10, one sec

soratami, vague, Love Deluxe and 9 others like this.
  10. I WILL HELP

@thommyh AFTER ALL MY SUPPORT TO CITY POP SENSATIONS, THIS IS HOW YOU RETRIBUTE ME?????????

[​IMG]

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 8 others like this.
  11. nawt a score of 8 being the equivalent of a 2 !!
    [​IMG]

but to be honest I do like the song, but I think I didn't score it higher because I find it a little too loud / busy in some parts...which I know doesn't really make sense considering the other music I stan constantly nn, but yeah...
    [​IMG]

With that said, I only have 10s and my 11 left now, so it's all gone according to plan.

BeingNormal, vague, Monkey0 and 9 others like this.
  12. I have to laugh....

[​IMG]

This part of the plan?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2013

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11 x 2) @thommyh, @Crisp X

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 12) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @camden_italian, @junglefish, @ysev, @junkos, @codecat, @Remorque, @roblognick, @Ana Raquel, @vague (9) @Wills, @BeingNormal, @Hurricane Drunk, @Monkey0
    HATE TO SEE IT: (7) @evilsin, @M24, @Empty Shoebox (7.5) @Joli Chat
    AS FOR ME: it's a 10! Or let's say 11 to keep the theories we're conspiring alive <3

LUCKY UNNIES*: @junglefish (10), @Monkey0 (9), @evilsin (7), @junkos (10), @Joli Chat (7.5), @vague (10), @M24 (7)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

Sooo.... fffff.... I have been asked to eliminate my bestie's 11. At first I was a bit like, hmm I know absolutely nothing about this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But @Wills is an unnie and probably thought I would help soften the blow. He just doesn't know I live for moments to playfully drag miss @thommyh! Unfortunately, this will not be one of those moments as it's a truly great song, and the fact it's also @Crisp X's 11 hinted to me it would be a BOP. Admittedly this is the only thing I've heard from 9Muses as of this write-up dddd but I'm planning on it as soon as I get through some rates so no one drag me for my no K-Pop knowledge mouth please!!

. Gun is the lead track from PRIMA DONNA, the first full-length Korean studio album by 9Muses, released on October 14, 2013 through Star Empire Entertainment. I don't have to tell all of you that scored it who produced it, and if I do....baby. It's a fun pop song with retro vibes, which I mostly get from the electric guitar in the background and the trumpet(?) sprinkled throughout. It's very Surfin' K.K. (my Animal Crossing hunties will understand, which is what I always set to play in my house in every new game, so this is how you know I'm not lying about stanning it!). The chorus and hooks are such an earworm for me...after the first time I heard it, I knew I heard sumn.

As for the music video, I just KNOW some intern used this to pitch ITZY's Not Shy video concept, and you know what? They should be promoted with full benefits. Until I turned the captions on (and watched a color coded lyric video) I thought it was a commentary on gas prices and why we need to switch to electric, at gunpoint... but now I obviously know the song is about the love interest needing to step up and not being shy (Much like ITZY's NOT SHY/NOT SHY ENGLISH VERSION EP which is available for purchase on iTunes). Okay, I promise I won't do any more promo-ing fff but the similarities are there!

Hyuna and Hyemi's part of the song in particular is my favorite, with Euaerin nicely (w)rapping it up with a bow, but it's truly a bop from the first second! Especially with that strong opening verse by Sera. I wasn't lying about watching a line distribution video. Before listening to Gun I'd heard nothing but good things about 9Muses and I'm already stanning just from this song alone.
    That's talent, babes!

Another person that was hooked by the chorus, M24, has this to say, Earworm of a chorus. Not my favorite from 9Muses, still a bop.

Ana Raquel managed to stan even more than before. I know that's right! “I already loved tthis before, but it has grown on me even more this year for some random reason.

Some... repeated, succinct commentary from roblognick:
    after banger.”

[​IMG]

RUNAWAY
    openly stans one part and moment in particular, love that for him! “Lee Sem’s opening lines. That’s all. I love her <3

Our gracious host Wills leaves us with these words, “fff I feel like I’m gonna get dragged for this… and 9 isn’t even a bad score! I’ve just never connected with this the way so many others seem to, and frankly, I know it’s my loss. But none of you are here to listen to me defend my score, so I’m grateful I could hide behind hand the reins over to the incomparable @Luck unnie to explain why this is a masterpiece. And if this mea culpa isn’t enough… the petition link is probably still live!” It absolutely is your loss, unnie. But let's celebrate that it lead to my write-up! And it absolutely is a masterpiece so any lashings on his character will have to go through me!

Crisp X gives a heartfelt, nostalgia-induced explanation for why she loves Gun so much, and I think we can all relate! “Maybe I lied when I said picking a 11 would be a struggle because… I got so much history with this one that any other choice would’ve made much less sense. This is one of the first Kpop songs I ever heard, or at least one of the first comebacks I witnessed. That world was still so new and fresh to me, so I consumed everything that my brother and a friend were getting me into. Turns out 9MUSES instantly became early faves. Everything about this song is immaculate: from the twangy guitar, the festive horns, the high pitched vocals, which made me took notice of Sera early, to the music video... I felt like all my life I had been missing out on something that 9MUSES and their peers filled in my heart. In short, Gun is one of those songs I owe a lot when it comes to my passion for Kpop since. A classic.

And lastly, we have my younger but more talented sistren known as thommyh putting it into simple words and oddly specific imagery, that somehow explains what I imagine when I listen to it. This is for anyone that had the audacity to give this less than an 8! Although quite honestly, its lowest score should have been a 9, period.
    My 11 has been eliminated? beasts!

I'm just gonna start off by saying like if you get it you get it, if you don't you don't, if you know you know, and if you don't know.. I honestly feel bad for you, like I cannot explain it. I don't have the vocabulary to sit here and explain it. Either you get the vibe or you don't get the vibe.

I didn't expect to give this my 11 originally (it was gonna go to Hara's Midnight Queen), but it's really resonating with me in this new listen through. The production is fun and flawless obviously, (that electric guitar touch is like catnip for me) but I just LOOOOVE the kind of rock n' roll surfy beach hair wet t-shirt contest after a 6:45pm light & fresh salad dinner at an early sundown pink-sunset kissed sky drinking mojitos and fruity drinks with the girlz while on beach vacay energy of this.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 18 others like this.
  13. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

@Wills whoring out EVERY SINGLE Nine Muses elimination so he doesn't have to be the bad guy....I see you sis.

soratami, vague, ysev and 15 others like this.
  14. Me giving Gun a 9, not realizing the rest of y'all expected tens across the board:

But honestly... that's kinda tea for some of the others I love less fjshsjfjs, it made more sense to have their biggest stans talk about why they're wonderful! But I wouldn't have had any issues with 'Gun', I just knew @Luck would eat it... and he did!!!

[​IMG]

I also thot he'd get a lot of glee out of tearing his bestie's 11 to shreds - him actually loving the song was unplanned fff

However! I'm happy to report that yours truly will be responsible for both 9Muses songs from here on out. As for one of the other songs in the top 8... well, you'll just have to wait and see x

soratami, Love Deluxe, vague and 13 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farewell to Stellar

Stellar has one of the most interesting trajectories in the rate: instead of “graduating” from Sweetune like so many other acts here, they managed to snatch part of the team before abandoning ship. And where other groups tended to falter after severing their partnership, Stellar went on to release some of their finest work, including what I consider their pinnacle:

Don’t be put off by the flagrant controversy-courting – this is one of the finest Kpop compositions ever. Not to mention, if the MonoTree split never happened, my faves ONF would probably look very different, so thank you Stellar!

More MonoTree:

A touch of Brave Brothers:

And the most absurd farewell track of all time:

And sadly, the group did disband in 2018 after some late-in-the-game lineup changes. But given their rocky start and relatively small catalogue, they left behind a formidable discography and ought to be very proud.

Finally, I’ve touched on other… aspects of their time as a group elsewhere in the rate (i.e. their scummy label forcing them to do shit they weren’t comfortable with), so I won’t go into much greater detail here. I will say it’s a shame that this wound up being more-or-less their legacy, but I’m also grateful to belong to a community that appreciates them for so much more than that!

Stellar – Final Scoreboard

#22. Marionette (8.837)
    #28. Mask (8.522)
    #53. Study (7.413)
    #60. Fool (7.252)

Stellar – Highest Scorers

#1. @thommyh (9.563)
    #2. @Remorque, @RUNAWAY (9.500)
    #4. @Crisp X (9.000)
    #5. @Ana Raquel, @junglefish, @soratami (8.750)

Stellar – Lowest Scorers

#23. @Empty Shoebox (6.000)
    #22. @Wills (6.625) fff my dislike for Fool really dragged this down – without it my average was 8!
    #21. @Joli Chat (6.688)
    #20. @roblognick (6.750)
    #19. @ysev (7.000)

Stellar – Group Average: 8.006

16. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Where's the controversy index on the last couple farewell posts @Wills? Did Stellar get a 10 on that scale?

soratami, vague, ysev and 4 others like this.
  17. fhajskfh hehe... um... I got lazy and assumed no one would notice.

I may go back and add them at some point, but I figured it'd be more interesting to just see the most/least controversial songs in the entire rate at the very end!

soratami, vague, ysev and 11 others like this.
  18. M24

M24

Oof, I've only just finished catching up with the rate... I couldn't believe there are only 8 songs left! You're doing a terrific job @Wills, I love reading your writeups (and your collaborators' too).

I can't believe I kicked my own 11 out of the top 20... which score change did that? Was it Russian Roulette? I just bumped it up by half a point... how unfortunate for me.

Also, I can't believe I only have a single 10 alive... * insert Ja'mie's I'm so random.gif * Everything else apart from that one is between an 8 and a 9 though, so I guess I could've done worse. It sucks to have such eclectic (and not particularly 9muses stanning) taste.

soratami, vague, Cotton Park and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.