ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Aaa welcome back! That's exactly right: Be Mine had a total of 203.75 points to Russian Roulette's 203.50, so you bumping the latter up by half a point was all it took to upset the balance!

And then I had to go and be a coy asshole about it, letting you think you'd really done something great:
    [​IMG]

Ahhh we have fun here, don't we? xx

2. M24

M24

I had forgotten you replied with a smiley...

[​IMG]

Now I hope you lose your 10(s?) before mine (if you still have any kii).

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 6 others like this.
  3. Yas @Crisp X our 11s for Gun getting it into the top 10 after everyone wanted it to be the first 9muses song to leave, yup yup yup!
    [​IMG]

soratami, Love Deluxe, vague and 11 others like this.
  4. Just say @junglefish hoe

[​IMG]

5. Apologies in advance – this week’s turning out to be a rat’s nest of assignment (over)due dates and oh-shit-I-gotta-eat, so actual eliminations may be thin on the ground.

On that note…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farewell to SPICA

Realistically, most of what I have to say about Spica’s post-Sweetune career is… at least Keembo happened! I mean, following Ghost and a 2-year hiatus, they literally had one more title track:

And you know, it’s good and all, but… ugh. They had so much potential as a fivesome, and it’s such a bummer to see it so brutally truncated. That said, they have easily the highest group average we've seen so far (and spoiler: higher overall than a couple acts still standing), so maybe we should just be grateful for what we got!

Anyways, once again, I’m not super familiar with their discography outside the titles, so I’ll open the floor to anyone who wants to make recs. Beyond that… stay tuned for Keembo, I guess!

Oh yeah and Ghost was robbed! What a song!!!

SPICA – Final Scoreboard

#20. Russian Roulette (8.870)
    #27. Lonely (8.530)
    #40. Ghost (7.891)

SPICA – Highest Scorers

#1. @aux (10.000)
    #2. @Slice of Life, @Monkey0 (9.667)
    #4. @RUNAWAY (9.583)
    #5. @vague (9.500)

SPICA – Lowest Scorers

#23. @M24 (6.000)
    #22. @ysev (6.167)
    #21. @evilsin (7.167)
    #19. @roblognick, @Empty Shoebox (7.333)

SPICA – Group Average: 8.430

6. We have one last tie to go.

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2019

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 14) @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @camden_italian, @junglefish, @Hurricane Drunk, @Monkey0, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @Remorque, @roblognick, @Ana Raquel, @soratami, @vague (9.5) @aux, @codecat (9) @BeingNormal, @Crisp X, @M24
    HATE TO SEE IT: (6) @Empty Shoebox (7) @ysev
    AS FOR ME: it's an 8.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @junglefish (10), @ysev (7), @evilsin (8.5), @junkos (10), @vague (10), @Empty Shoebox (6)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

This isn’t the first time we’ve needed to discuss performers who passed away far too soon. There’s something… troubling? Profound? About how vastly different Minwoo, Yohan and Hara’s stories were during their time with us – the degrees of fame, public struggles, and so on.

But while songs like Paradise and Better Day feel similarly inextricable from their artists’ stories, I can’t help but feel Midnight Queen has its own unique importance to this rate. Hara’s spirit is present from the very start – I mean, KARA made Sweetune, just as much as Sweetune made KARA. The songs that were expertly and lovingly crafted needed to be embodied by performers who were up to the task; one couldn’t find success without the other. And because they did find success, so much more incredible music followed, along with the communities that popped up around it.

Midnight Queen feels like a celebration of this history. It’d been years since Sweetune had penned anything this bombastic; it sounded like a victory lap, as unexpected as it was welcome in the fall of 2019. But then consider how rarely Sweetune had worked on Japanese releases, and how six years had passed since their last time working with KARA, and how Midnight Queen came so soon before Hara’s passing. The whole thing just feels so… improbable. It makes so little sense in their overall history, it almost feels like it shouldn’t exist at all.

And I’m so, so glad it does. Nothing will change that Goo Hara deserved better – but to me, Midnight Queen sounds like triumph. To have something so joyous as the final piece of her legacy is a beautiful thing.

As expected, Midnight Queen received glowing commentary. M24 correctly predicted that this would be the last solo standing: “This is the one solo song I expect to be the forum favorite. It's euphoric dance-pop with capital letters… that chorus is perfect. Give it to any western artist and it'd be a hit. Too bad kpop idols have trouble making it solo sometimes, especially after belonging to a group.” And roblognick was stunned: “Holy crap, I wasn't expecting this 90s pop perfection!

I took a look back at my KSOTY19 score and found that I did the same as Crisp X: “A slight decrease in score compared to KSOTY 2019 because I didn’t end up replaying it that much in 2020, and the dubstep bridge is a bit questionable, but this remains a banger. I miss her...” Hugs for you unnie, as well as for Ana Raquel, who just said “:(”.

RUNAWAY praises this in the way only he knows how – “HOLY FUCK YES THE ABSOLUTE POWER AND DRAMA THIS SONG POSSESSES. Thank you Hara for everything. You did SO WELL.” – while thommyh absolutely nails everything that makes this so euphoric: “The retro-styled production on this, it's so fucking delicious and fun. Do people seriously not bop to this??? Her vocals rising along with the tempo and then it goes all bombastic and explodes into the chorus with that beat and all the trumpets. It's incredible on every listen.

Finally, Joli Chat pays respects: “Forever queen <3”. Period.

Below is the video – it’s a condensed version, but the full thing is out there somewhere. It’s a simple affair, but features Hara looking every bit as regal as the song itself suggests. Forever Queen indeed. ♡

7. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I’m sorry to say this because I do love the song........ but it’s time for Mach to vacate the premises please.
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, vague, thommyh and 8 others like this.
  8. Midnight Queen should’ve been top 3 at the very least

[​IMG]

vague, M24, thommyh and 4 others like this.
  9. What a beautiful write up @Wills. I wish it was in the top 5 but it feels right that it was the last solo standing.

vague, ysev, thommyh and 7 others like this.
    soratami, vague, Memoria and 3 others like this.
  11. But for real, this not even making the top 5 is so... wrong. I... I've always adored this, but I got even more attached to it after her passing. She was truly a gift.

Thanks for the write-up sis @Wills, it was lovely.

vague, ysev, Memoria and 3 others like this.
  12. It's "Wild" next for me.

M24 and Wills like this.

13. [​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2010

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11) @codecat

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 11) @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @junglefish, @Hurricane Drunk, @evilsin, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @roblognick, @Ana Raquel, @vague (9.5) @Wills, @Monkey0, @ysev (9) @BeingNormal, @Crisp X, @M24
    HATE TO SEE IT: (7) @soratami (7.5) @Remorque
    AS FOR ME: it's a 10 (but I gave it a 9.5 oop)

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (8.5), @junglefish (10), @Monkey0 (9.5), @junkos (10), @Remorque (7.5), @soratami (7), @vague (10)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

Oof. @codecat bb I’m so sorry, and honestly I agree: if any Rainbow song deserved to go airplane emoji top 2, it was this. But it looks like it’s you and me against the world, as ‘A’ falls in the back half of our final tie. Also noteworthy: finally, after nearly 90 eliminations, every act in the rate has lost a song! Granted, Rainbow didn’t have much chaff to burn through, but still – having 100% of their tracks in the top 7? A FEAT.

And to show I’m not talking out of my ass, this is the only song I truly regret not giving a 10. I’ve loved it all along, but it’s rooted itself in my brain for the past few months, to the point where it’s probably the track I seek out the most. We talk a lot about bangers and bops, but ‘A’ is something more specific: it's a stone-cold jam, and (in my view) Sweetune’s best-ever crack at a more… hmm, let’s say ~naturalistic~ sound.

I’m glad I got @Luck to tackle Gun, because as much as I love that one, I’m sure I’d end up repeating myself – these songs feel very much cut from the same cloth. Both present the listener with an avalanche of hooks, both vocal and instrumental, which get layered one on top of the other from start to finish. ‘A’ comes flying out the gate with some low brass blasts; this, along with the surf guitar riff that pops up, provides the instrumental backbone and gives the track an incredibly unique flavour.

But what really gives my brain a good jostle is the track’s structure, which is all over the damn map. While ‘A’ does have recognizable elements – verses, a double chorus, a rapped bridge – zero percent of its runtime feels like waiting around for the good part. Each distinct section has at least one chorus-calibre hook, and the way they’re all woven together is nothing short of dazzling.

As expected from the top 10 of the Fucking Sweetune Rate, commentary is glowing across the board. roblognick serves… me, until KSOTY got me hooked on Rainbow a few weeks back: “I don't know many Rainbow songs but I do know this one and it's on regular rotation on my own playlists.” Of course, that also means I’ve become acquainted with their Japanese output, which… isn’t my cup of tea, as Joli Chat alludes to: “what can I say? This is such a bop, so sad DSP send them to japan before getting them some actual recognition in Korea.

I’m not sure whether RUNAWAY’s referring to how good ‘A’ is, or how generous his ballot was: “OBVIOUSLY A TEN. In the beginning, I was really only into KARA and then 2NE1 were my other group, so when Rainbow debuted, I was fully onboard, and then when this song came out I was OBSESSED. Such an incredible piece of music. The second chorus being the same lyrics, but like….a beat behind is one of those iconic Sweetune moments, and it’s one of the things that make them such a special production team to me.” Hmm doesn’t that chorus just repeat a line before getting going? Actually nvm lemme not ruin this for you, Sweetune are geniuses! Let em know!!!

Finally, thommyh has less commentary remaining than the others, so I’ll serve… whatever the opposite of a meritocracy is, and let him have the last word: “A fucking CLASSIC. When all those synths twinkle in quicky all over the place like in the background during verses and I feel like I'm a lil cyber hacker in a girly teen action movie…” Mmmm the tea! I’m glad I chose to end with you, unnie.

Below is the video, and no lie, I think the striptease “ab dance” is my favourite bit of Kpop choreo ever: it’s fun, it’s flirty, it pissed a bunch of people off and it accentuates the song’s rhythm flawlessly. Also this line kinda sends:
    But even apart from that, the vid’s a complete serve: everyone looks stunning and – even better – like they’re having a total blast. A+!

14. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I’M GONNA FUCKING LOSE IT
    [​IMG]

Love Deluxe, vague, Serg. and 13 others like this.
  16. Lemme not say anything

[​IMG]

17. Okay I was meant to post this earlier this week but I kinda forgot! I can't miss the opportunity to indulge in some Lovelyz stanning, as they've become one of my favorite K-Pop groups in the last year. That's the least they deserve.

Daydream, Dream In A Dream, Circle, WoW, Twinkle... I could go on and on. Such a special group with an immaculate discography.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.