ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Final Stats ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. dfgbhc I still think about that rate, you lot were disgusted with me!!

vague, ysev, Cotton Park and 3 others like this.
  2. Two 10s and an 11 in Top3? Love that for me. Also, pretty sure this never happened before even in a Kumi rate.

vague and Wills like this.
  3. I'm running a bit behind schedule, so lemme blitz this one.

[​IMG]

RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES

Once again, we have five new inductees! We'll start with the girls who lost their final <10 scores with Wild's elimination. Please welcome to the stage...

@thommyh, @BeingNormal, @Joli Chat, and @codecat!!!

[​IMG]

Quick girls, you don't wanna miss your bus!

... oop. Too late! Seems the driver was none too happy about how you treated their eleven. That's what you get for messing with...

@Remorque!!!

[​IMG]

...and wig at how gracefully she's ageing omg!? Lemme take notes!

Congrats to our penultimate batch of RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES!

#3 coming... soon. Very soon.​

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 16 others like this.
  4. You already know which one this is, don't you?

I mean, there's no way it's that song.

And it wouldn't feel right for it to be that other song, either.

So that just leaves...

...right?

Wrong.

Nah just kidding you were right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2009

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 17) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @camden_italian, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @evilsin, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @Remorque, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel, @soratami, @vague (9.5) @ysev (9) @Wills, @Hurricane Drunk, @roblognick
    HATE TO SEE IT: (8) @M24, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Wills (9), @junglefish (10), @Hurricane Drunk (9), @Monkey0 (10), @evilsin (10), @roblognick (9), @vague (10), @M24 (8), @Empty Shoebox (8)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES*: @RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life, @aux, @junkos, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel, @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @Remorque
    *I did a whole post about this here!

Taking the bronze is Mister, the song that shot KARA to superstardom. Take a look at those scores: notice anything? That’s right – this didn’t receive a single eleven, but an armada of tens (and nothing worse than a pair of eights) secured this a spot on the podium. All personal bias aside, this feels like the perfect choice for a third-placer: the KARA formula hadn’t quite been perfected, but damn, were they close.

A couple versions of this exist, and while my ear’s more used to hearing the Korean lyrics (since that was the first I heard), I prefer the Japanese arrangement overall. The key differences are the boosted snare in the prechorus, and the horns on the chorus off-beats; both enhance the militant feel of the track without ever making it overstuffed.

And really, it’s this sense of rhythm that absolutely sold me on the song – there’s a drive that persists through the whole track, continually reinforced by both the vocal lines (the counting!!! ugh, inspired) and the percussion. It’s a tiny detail, but I love how the snare skips the first beat of each section – delaying its presence momentarily makes it feel like a small thrill when it finally does kick in.

More than anything else in the rate, Mister makes it impossible to sit still – those opening handclaps are a call to ass-shaking action. And God, don’t even get me started on the key change – it’s a Sweetune staple to the point of cliché, but it’s immaculately placed here. A total triumph.

M24 is back, and he has something to say: “Terrific beat! The song is a bit too repetitive though. You can only fit so many "lalala"s in a song.” Well, agreed about the beat, bestie! More disgusting is roblognick, who shamelessly outs himself as a Moomoo: “I've got a thing for songs with 'Mr' in the title.” That’s sad, huh? But at least he stans this. Taste prevails!

Monkey0 pours one out for the coroners: “Up there with Gee when it comes to K-Pop Golden Era's Anthem.” And RUNAWAY probably thought he’d be able to steal my thunder with his commentary, but little did he know I’m more than messy enough to crank out 1000+ words per day! “OH MY GODDDDDDD. The moment I heard that absolutely iconic Japanese version and it was like…..instantly over for me. I DIED. Jiyoung’s I-CON-IC “tomodachi ijou koibito miman” ENDED ME. And Hara following it up with her iconic line too…..like…..I was DEADDDDDD. I’m way more fluent in Japanese, than Korean, so for them to re-record this song in Japanese and give it one of their best videos OF ALL TIME was like….life changing to me. AN ELEVEN….if I didn’t already have mine picked out.” Wait at your lil polyglot serve though! King!!!

Finally, we have Crisp X, who waxes nostalgic: “I don’t know why the intro instantly makes me recall that one time they went on a show, probably Weekly Idol, and they were asked to perform the choreography at random parts, with intentional cuts in between by the hosts or something? Anyway, a classic.” A classic indeed! And speaking of the dance…

Below is the butt dance.

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 19 others like this.
  5. Two K-pop titans...

Two beloved classics...

Released
    two weeks apart in 2011.

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    THE FINALE

SATURDAY, APRIL 10TH @ 8PM GMT

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 18 others like this.
  6. When it's right it's right.

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 12 others like this.
  7. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

@Wills we're both in North America when the fuq is this?!

vague, evilsin, ysev and 8 others like this.
  8. Noon MST girl! Had to snatch that primetime slot for all our Euro unnies.

My nocturnal ass after staying up til 5 tonight:

soratami, vague, evilsin and 13 others like this.
  9. ... so apparently it's actually 2pm my time tomorrow

oh god lemme figure this out

EDIT: @RUNAWAY I've confirmed it's at 2pm MST! Global timezones are gaslighting me again

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    soratami, vague, evilsin and 12 others like this.
  10. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Okay it's 2pm my time as well, and.....I'm at work. I'll escape when I can and will do my best to celebrate in real time with everyone!!

vague, ysev, roblognick and 3 others like this.
  11. Hey everyone - tomorrow's going to be a pretty hectic day for me, and I want to make sure everything's ready to go, so I'm posting the final results in advance.

PLEASE NO PEEKING BEFORE IT'S TIME!!!

I've worked very hard on all this and I would be really upset if anyone spoiled this early.

Thanks unnies, I know I can count on you xx

[​IMG]

RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES

You think I'd be dumb enough to trust you shady hags with this kind of sensitive information? Pfffffffffffft. Girls. I know you better than that.

......................... um. But.

You wanna know how dumb I actually am?

[​IMG]

Dumb enough to draft up this whole post

[​IMG]

without realizing there aren't actually any RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES after the last result.

[​IMG]

So uh. Hehe. Anyways!

See you tomorrow besties! ♡​

soratami, vague, evilsin and 18 others like this.
  12. The ageism in this thread....

vague, evilsin, ysev and 3 others like this.
  13. Super excited to listen to the whole Top 20 on watch2gether, I've planned my whole day around it.

When those back to back KARA & 9Muses songs start hitting
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 13 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    We're live!

I went with this site instead of the standard w2g because... I like how it looks better ff. If we run into any issues, we can always migrate!

We'll officially get rolling in about 15 minutes from this post. Hope to see y'all there!​

soratami, vague, evilsin and 13 others like this.
  15. I’m going to try to join but I’m currently moving house, so tired and with only two bars on my 3G phone signal!

vague, ysev, Joli Chat and 3 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2011

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11 x 3) @evilsin, @roblognick, @vague

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 14) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @ysev, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @Remorque, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel (9.5) @Hurricane Drunk (9) @Wills, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox
    HATE TO SEE IT: (8) @M24, @camden_italian
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Wills (9), @camden_italian (8), @junglefish (10), @Hurricane Drunk (9.5), @Monkey0 (10), @M24 (8), @Empty Shoebox (9)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

RETIRED LUCKY UNNIES*: @RUNAWAY, @Slice of Life, @aux, @junkos, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel, @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @Remorque
    *I did a whole post about this here!

Sweetune are geniuses. Yes, this has basically been the rate’s thesis statement since day one, but it bears repeating. Nearly every song here is laced with small touches – melody lines that go exactly where you want them to; production details that take a dozen listens to notice; unexpected shakeups in song structure – that elevate them above your average composition. It’s been a joy familiarizing myself with everything here and falling in love with all these special touches!

The thing I find most fascinating (and brilliant) and Figaro is how it deploys its most important hook. If I were to ask you the best part of this song, I bet most of you would come up with the same answer:

Give up up tonight!
    G
    ive up up tonight!

Now maybe I should just speak for myself, but for me, this is the song’s defining hook and the moment everything else is centred around… which meant it took me eons to realise it only shows up twice in the entire song. Not overplaying their trump card was a smart move on Sweetune’s part, and the rest of the track is slick enough that it never feels like a long wait before it returns to its glimmering centrepiece.

But even that isn’t what I think makes Figaro so special. Not only did they take a conservative approach with its best hook, they also picked the two most pivotal moments in the track for a precision strike. The first comes at the very beginning, following the abrasive intro synths – and there’s magic in knowing this was the world’s very first taste of what 9Muses x Sweetune had in store. Even better, it shows up once more to coincide with the key change, raising all the stakes in the process. It’s this perfect little moment of euphoria that bleeds into the final chorus flawlessly.

With Figaro, Sweetune provided the Muses with their first proper tour de force moment, while also setting the stage for a long, long line of slayage ahead. Of course, I don’t even need to tell you that these were the right ladies for the task – they absolutely ate every single vocal line, just like they would for years to come.

My apologies to No Playboy apologists, but for me, this was the moment 9Muses was born – and it’s hard to imagine a more incredible debut.

M24 offers a critique, and while it’s not my lived experience… I can understand how it’s his: “I love the production. On the other hand, the chorus could be a little more wig-snatching. I still give it a relatively high score.” Well, an eight is nothing to sneeze at, so you get a pass sis!

Joli Chat interpolates the best bit into ha commentary: “Give bop bop tonight, Give bop bop tonight, and boy did they deliver!” And I’m grateful Figaro did so well, cuz I was worried about getting banned early for quoting BeingNormal’s commentary: “All of the K-pop fags were shook and found stanning when this bop was released. A history.” I think the kids are saying “cigs” now bih!

Mega-MINE RUNAWAY gets to stan his faves one last time: “that thumbnail of Eunji is forever burned into my brain. This is seriously just such an incredible song, and I have nothing but good memories of it. This was the true MOMENT Nine Muses started standing out to me.” Ugh but yeah can we actually talk about that thumbnail for a sec? I don’t understand what makes it so hard for agencies to pick something halfway decent most of the time, but maybe they know it’s not worth the effort when the GOAT already exists!

Finally, I’ll hand it over to roblognick who not only gave this his highest honour, but more commentary than all the other 9Muses songs combined fff. Take it away, unnie! “I honestly think this is a perfect pop song. The intro is iconic and really the whole thing grabs you and it just doesn't let go. The video is a bit basic but it's saved but it's saved by the choreography.” Well let’s just see about that, hmm?

Below is the video, and… yeah, it’s true, the choreo does a lot of the heavy lifting dd. BUT! I’m also obsessed with the sets they chose here – it’s all a bit kitschy, but the retro stylings & pops of colour make this a perfect match for 9Muses’ M.O. We should be grateful they didn’t have a budget or it’d be over for all our other faves!

17. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farewell to 9Muses

Y’all don’t need a eulogy: 9Muses ate every last crumb in this rate.

…well, maybe not every last crumb, but damn close!

Besides, a full career retrospective’s already been done on our forum, courtesy of literally everyone’s fave, the inimitable @vague. It gets into greater detail on every track in their discography than I ever could, so I recommend y’all stop by for a visit!

One thing I will reiterate though: these ladies didn’t take their foot off the gas for a damn second, even in their later years. Nope, not by a long shot:

And that’s on legacy.

9Muses – Final Scoreboard

#2. Figaro (9.804)
    #4. Wild (9.489)
    #9. Gun (9.326)
    #11. Ticket (9.293)
    #12. Dolls (9.261)
    #12. News (9.261)
    #16. Glue (9.185)

9Muses – Highest Scorers

#1. @Crisp X, @RUNAWAY, @roblognick (10.143)
    #4. @vague (10.036)
    #5. @thommyh, @Slice of Life, @aux, @junkos (10.000)

9Muses – Lowest Scorers

#23. @M24 (7.286)
    #21. @evilsin, @Empty Shoebox (8.286)
    #20. @Wills (8.429)
    #19. @camden_italian (8.786)

9Muses – Group Average: 9.374

BeingNormal, soratami, vague and 19 others like this.
  18. omg I wonder what won the suspense is killing me
    [​IMG]

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 16 others like this.
  19. KARA was done so dirty in this rate, I really hope they won. :(

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 15 others like this.
  20. I think there’s been a miscalculation and A.De Good Time actually won :/

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 15 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.