ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Now it's actually finished ϟ | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Now it's actually finished ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Oop, I kinda take back what I said about the new IZ track: still bitter that Sweetune isn’t involved (again, concerned about cash flow!!!) but it’s actually 100% lovely:

Mess at the digital single being called “Storiz,” which not only implies more than one lousy track, but also implies their name is pronounced “eez” instead of “eyes” fff. Back to the drawing board boys, Sweetune never would’ve let this happen!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    soratami, vague, ysev and 10 others like this.
  2. They had a good run, but now it’s time to say goodbye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2018

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 8) @aux, @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @ysev, @codecat, @Crisp X, @vague (9.75) @RUNAWAY (9.5) @Slice of Life (9) @Monkey0, @soratami
    HATE TO SEE IT: (6) @M24 (6.5) @Hurricane Drunk (7) @evilsin (7.25) @junkos (7.5) @Wills, @Ana Raquel
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 7.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @RUNAWAY (9.75), @Hurricane Drunk (6.5), @Ana Raquel (7.5), @M24 (6)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

Together in life, and now in death: hot on the heels of losing ‘That Day’, Lovelyz drops their second and final track as ‘Lost N Found’ bows out of the race. This also leaves Infinite as the sole Woollim Ent. group remaining, as Lovelyz joins their labelmates – and now casketmates – Golden Child in the gone-too-soon bracket of the rate.

Unless I’m missing something, ‘Lost N Found’ is an anomaly for having Sweetune-penned lyrics while leaving the rest up to other parties. In this case, those duties were handled by Spacecowboy from long-time Lovelyz collaborators OnePiece. According to my smooth brain that blindly stans anything Sweetune, this feels a bit…….. ok then what’s the point? And no shade at all to OnePiece, who’ve done a wonderful job crafting Lovelyz' sound! Just as someone who doesn’t understand any Korean, having my fave production outfit only attend to the lyrics is a bit eh. But who knows, maybe they’ve been spinning lyrical gold all along – one more reason to stan!!!

Having these drop back-to-back makes me look a bit shady towards Lovelyz nn, which truly isn’t the case. I’ve already stated that I wish I’d scored ‘That Day’ higher, but as for this… hmm. It’s excellent, in much the same way that all Lovelyz songs are excellent, but… well, that’s kinda my problem with it: this is the point where their output starts feeling like variations on a theme without bringing much novelty to the table. It’s a gorgeously crafted piece in many ways, but feels underwhelming for being a bit Lovelyz-by-numbers.

…ok I might be a little lit so we’re shifting to stream-of-consciousness: I just watched the video to refresh my memory, and the song sounds SO fucking good??? I mean this is why I score stuff sober (or else I’d be giving @RUNAWAY oppa a run for his money), but seriously, this is so good. I’ve ALSO just noticed that this was also included in KSOTY2018 fhajkfh, where it ranked at #95, once again narrowly beating ‘That Day’. I said it before, I'll say it again: I’m glad this rate could finally give the Lovelyz some semblance of justice!!!

I’m not gonna rip off codecat’s old commentary again, but it’s also great and y'all should go track it down. Especially because it’ll help make M24’s words a bit easier to swallow: “I love the strings, I really wish I enjoyed that chorus a little bit more to give it a higher score.(The mess being I kinda agree but desperately wanna distance myself from the narrative fhjaskfh) And to sandwich that between some positive commentary, we have this from Monkey0 who gave it a Monkey9: “Oh come through remixed strings!

Moving on, a couple commenters mentioned the intro: roblognick shades just a tad – “The intro is weird. The song is very IZ*ONE and there's a weird video-gamey vibe from some of it. The chorus is dreamy.” – while thommyh stans: “That bass guitar at the start is so like.. sexy dddd. This is a very good trial song of WJSN's Pantomime, imo.” tbh I don’t quite hear IZ*ONE or ‘Pantomime’ here, but that seems to work for y’all and I’m glad!

Finally, some commentary that made me scream: first, BeingNormal pokes fun at me for being meek & mild: “Ffff the way I manage to convince @Wills to sneak this song even though Sweetune only write the lyrics.” Kowtowing to crowd-please? Doesn’t sound like me at all!

Even better is Crisp X, who praises the production… on the only non-Sweetune track in the rate ffffffffffffffff: “From that tiny subgenre in Kpop that has that magical and fairy like soundscape, this is in the top tier. Special mention to the production.” Forget MonoTree, I'm running OnePiece rate next!

Below is the video, and before I pass out from one too many negronis, lemme just say it’s a serve! It’s visually stunning in the way all Lovelyz MVs are visually stunning, but also performed so fiercely??? Mmm anyway goodnight yall <3

soratami, M24, Love Deluxe and 17 others like this.
  3. The fact that we're nearing top 20 and I haven't been a "Lucky Unnie" even once...
    [​IMG]
    Which fan favorite did I tank this time??

soratami, vague, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  4. They had a good run, but now it’s time to say goodbye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2016

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 9) @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Monkey0, @ysev, @Joli Chat, @Remorque, @soratami (9) @Hurricane Drunk, @junkos, @Ana Raquel, @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @Empty Shoebox (6.5) @camden_italian (7) @roblognick (7.5) @aux
    AS FOR ME: it’s an 8.5

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (7.5), @camden_italian (6.5), @codecat (8), @roblognick (7), @Crisp X (8), @Empty Shoebox (5)

Snuper becomes our next act to bow out, leaving Infinite as our sole remaining boy group. The 10-place gap between this and ‘The Star of Stars’ cements ‘Platonic Love’ as our firm favourite Snuper track – no surprise, seeing as it’s also their only video with over a million views. Moreover, this was the moment Snuper really became Snuper: ‘Shall We Dance’ was fun in all its retro pastiche, but ‘Platonic Love’ felt much more fully formed. It’s little surprise that it’s gone on to become their signature song.

Let’s get the boring/obvious stuff out the way: this is ‘Take On Me’ with rap segments. Of course, if you’re gonna rip off anything from the history of recorded music, you could do much, much worse, and Sweetune/Snuper do more than enough to set this apart…...... to the extent that it kinda ruins the original for me nn. Controversial opinion perhaps, but this feels like a total refinement of a decades-old sound.

That said, this is my least favourite of the four “big” Snuper tracks, for the simple reason that it’s a lot more lightweight than any of the others. Obviously I’m in the minority for feeling this way, but I tend to prefer arrangements with a bit more heft. Luckily, that minor gripe gets thrown out the window in the home stretch, where a healthy dose of electric guitar gets added to the mix, making for a literally perfect closer. Had more of the track taken this approach, my score might’ve ballooned by a point; either way, this is a high watermark for Sweetune’s take on retro sounds, as well as the rightful start of Snuper’s imperial era (quality-wise; sales… less so nn).

The melody got a couple nods in the commentary: Ana Raquel is a fan – “I wish I liked the song a bit more, because the melody is lit” – as is M24: “Lovely lullaby melody. I enjoy it, it's not amazing but pretty serviceable. Probably my favorite from these Snuper section of the rate.” Can’t say I agree with that last bit, but to each their own!

Joli Chat seems to reference the ‘80s synth revival that's been like mana from heaven over the past six months: “Maybe this was ahead of its time, am I a little snuperr?” We all are, babe! And speaking of bastardized spelling, Monkey0 provides some great commentary, but I can only focus on “SNUPPER” fsjafkh: “I consider this second Sweetune peak era, the work they did with SNUPPER is glorious. The richness of production and how it is unique while delivering monster bop is show of their greatest strength.

One last time, we’ll close with RUNAWAY as he says goodbye to one of his ult groups: “this was where my love for them really started to bloom. Sebin I noticed instantly here with his appearance on the (now ICONIC) thumbnail, and the song is EVERYTHING I ever wanted. Also, their 80’s clothes are fantastic, but when they change into their suits I CAN’T. Oh my god guys dancing in suits gets me all hot and bothered….dddddd

Below is the video. As promised, there is a suit choreo scene… which makes absolutely no sense with the rest of the vid fghjaskfgh, but they do look great. Otherwise, the video treatment’s just as on-the-nose as the song itself, but – again – they do a great job of elevating the obvious reference points.

And with that, it's curtains for Snuper!

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 17 others like this.
  5. This not reaching the top 20 is ridiculous tbh...

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 10 others like this.
    BeingNormal, M24, ysev and 8 others like this.
  7. This got me curious, so I checked the spreadsheet to find out. It was:
    Mask, which left a week ago!
    You're luckier than you think!

BeingNormal, soratami, ysev and 8 others like this.
  8. They had a good run, but now it’s time to say goodbye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2014

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 6) @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @junkos, @Remorque, @Crisp X, @vague (9.5) @junglefish, @M24 (9) @Wills, @Slice of Life, @camden_italian, @codecat, @Ana Raquel, @soratami
    HATE TO SEE IT: (6.75) @Joli Chat (7) @evilsin, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9

LUCKY UNNIES*: @aux (8.5), @Monkey0 (8.5), @Joli Chat (6.75)

Acts are dropping like flies while 9Muses remains unperturbed – I have some thots on this, but… we’ll get there in due course heehee. Our latest casualty is Stellar who, after losing their first couple tracks back around the top 60, managed to land their other two in our top 20. For a disbanded group, that’s some longevity!

I feel like this one dropping is a bit of a gag? Like, I’m surprised by the relative lack of tens at this stage of the game – especially since Stellar is a beloved group, and ‘Marionette’ is arguably their signature song. Of course, that has little to do with the track itself, and more to do with literally everything else surrounding the release. I’m sure I don’t need to spell this out for anyone, but here goes: Stellar had been lowkey marketed as sexy for at least a year prior, but now they were getting marketed as explicitly sexy. They blew up, all hell broke loose, and this era went on to define the group, for better or worse.

It’s almost a shame that it played out this way, as it undermines the strength of the composition and performance (and I mean it’s also 100% a shame that the girls didn’t consent to any of this, but we’ll try to focus on the song, unlike anyone else who’s ever written about this at length). ‘Marionette’ is unlike anything else in Sweetune’s catalogue: the verses play out as a sleek, minimalist, mid-tempo dance number, which does the job but is easily the most generic thing on offer here.

Luckily, Lee Joohyung and G-High absolutely snapped on the chorus, and they probably knew it too since they fled Sweetune to do their own thing soon after. The obvious focal point here is the stuttered guitar line, which gets mirrored by a vocal refrain – it’s a catchy, hard-edged centrepiece and singlehandedly shapes the song’s sinister atmosphere.

But one punchy phrase alone wouldn’t be enough, and the chorus delivers a fantastic melody in the leadup. I especially love the progression here – the major chord they land on with the second “bwa” gives this section a sense of propulsion, and the aforementioned staccato riff is an interesting resolution. I’d stop short of calling this a masterpiece, but it’s absolutely one of Sweetune’s finest compositions and deserves so much more than the messy discourse it earned.

On the topic of messy discourse, we finally answer the age-old question of what the fuck Joli Chat was responsible for tanking! That said, it’s impossible to argue with the rationale he provided: “The song is very good, but I’m definitely not a fan of the way their company decided to promote them from here on, the amount of hate they got was unreal, and I’m pretty sure the girls themselves said they felt uncomfortable with the concept.” Yeah, you spilled unnie: things got dark.

In fact, much of the other praise ‘Marionette’ received was also tempered by the lingering taste left by the video. M24 learned the hard way why you should never do your homework: “My favorite from this section. I wish I hadn't looked up the video on youtube: I'm sad to read that the girls were forced into this sexy concept. And it's awful that the label objectified them even more in the promotional teasers… Anyway, the song itself is 100% up my alley, I can't resist that seductive electropop. I give the song a high score.” And RUNAWAY had a similar note: “I mean, we’re rating the SONG, and not the videos or the controversies, so I stand by my 10. The song is AMAZING. On the topic of the video though, the “rubbing my butt” dance they do in the second pre-chorus never fails to make me laugh. It just looks so stupid and awkward…..

That said, we’ll close with some commentary that has nothing to do with the video… before I talk about it some more in the last paragraph fff. First is roblognick, who basically speaks on behalf of the entire Korean population: “My favourite of the bunch we're rating here. Wasn't expecting much after Study but was pleasantly surprised.Crisp X correctly calls it “A classic. They deserved much better,” and she’s on the same page as thommyh: “A classic, a classic. That "da-da-da-da-da!!" part.. ugh it always makes my heart skip a beat.

Below is the video that completely eclipsed the song itself, though I find it hard to believe anyone hasn’t seen it by this point. I’ll be potentially messy and say this one thing: I remember one of the girls saying she was shocked! shocked!!!! at how they used the footage of her drinking milk, and… fff I dunno sis, I can’t imagine how else that could’ve been spun. That said, all their other complaints are 100% justified and the whole thing is very gross, so lemme stop there. Whatever the opposite of "watch on mute" is – do that!!

soratami, M24, ysev and 15 others like this.
  9. Y’all are so wrong for this. The disrespect.
    9Muses should have lost two songs by now and Lovelyz and Stellar deserved to be represented in the top 20.

soratami, M24, vague and 6 others like this.
  10. [​IMG]

But actually just wait till I post my ideal top 20 at the end fff.............. y'all are gonna chuckle

[​IMG]

soratami, M24, ysev and 9 others like this.
  11. This 9Muses seven way #1 tie is really gonna happen omfg
    [​IMG]

soratami, ysev, vague and 11 others like this.
  12. why are there men still in when the best male track is out????

and not my kpsc track too!!!! i'm afraid of what is gonna be out next

soratami, vague, Joli Chat and 4 others like this.
  13. They had a good run, but now it’s time to say goodbye.

...wait shit nvm, not this time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2011

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11) @M24

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 10) @Wills, @Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @camden_italian, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @evilsin, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @vague (9.5) @aux, @thommyh (9) @Monkey0, @Ana Raquel
    HATE TO SEE IT: (5) @ysev, @soratami (6.5) @Hurricane Drunk (7) @Empty Shoebox (7.75) @Remorque
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 10

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Hurricane Drunk (6.5), @ysev (5), @codecat (8), @soratami (5)

Ready for mess? This was sitting pretty in the top 20 until a few hours before the voting deadline, when none other than little miss @M24 strolled into my inbox, asked me to adjust a few scores on his behalf… and knocked his beloved eleven down a spot in the process. I’d chuckle about the pitfalls of rate villainy, but damn girl – why’d you have to take one of my faves down with you!?

So a few things happen here, right on the cusp of our top 20. First, ‘The Chaser’ becomes Infinite’s lone remaining track. Second, it also becomes the sole boy group track, and I hope some of you precious girlies can finally sleep at night knowing the ratio’s at a comfortable 19-to-1. And third, we lose our second 11/10, meaning we move into our top twenty with 20 out of 22 remaining. You’re not gonna believe this – every song in the top 20 got a single eleven!

…nah that’s cap, but it’s past my bedtime and it's funny to me rn ddd. Anyways, ‘Be Mine’ was a massive turning point for Infinite (and Woollim, for that matter): after languishing with one mid-sized hit after another, this track finally got the group their first music show win, plus a #12 on Gaon to boot. It also helmed their first full-length album and codified what would become their signature sound.

Y’all have heard me sing Infinite’s praises for aeons now, but apart from my eleven which I feel like I’ve sufficiently spoiled by this point, so if this comes as news, you haven’t been paying attention!, I only gave them a single perfect score. ‘Be Mine’ encapsulates everything I love about their sound, as well as Sweetune’s songwriting style in general: a dense, layered, propulsive instrumental and an undeniable melody. If it feels like you’ve heard me say this exact thing a dozen times… well, duh, it’s Sweetune’s trademark and the reason I’m running this in the first place!

Truthfully, this wasn’t an immediate favourite of mine, mostly because the chorus is cheesy as hell fff. It wasn’t until I’d started flat-out stanning the group’s entire discography that everything fell into place: not only did ‘Be Mine’ provide the blueprint for their finest work, it’s also the group's beating heart: the moment when everything – performers, songwriters, public opinion – became perfectly aligned. It’s now the first track I introduce Infinite newcomers to, and it provides a pretty good litmus test for how the rest of their output will be received.

A quick laundry list of the things I love here: the all-time best vocal layering in the chorus; the rhythmic guitar line in the background, plus the electric guitar squeal things; the least talented members barely getting any lines; Sungkyu’s styling (read: the fucking neck tattoo) completely missing the point; “t-t-t-t-terrific”; the fucking METAL INFLUENCE IN THE BREAKDOWN, WAYV FOUND PLAGIARIZING; actually that’s kinda the peak so we’ll leave it there.

...except oh wait!!! then there’s a KEY CHANGE because ofc there is!!!

So yeah, music is subjective etc. so I do pretend to understand how this might not be everyone’s cup of tea. For me though, it’s absolutely bang-on what I look to Kpop to deliver. PLUS it’s one of the integral pieces that led to me running this rate and doing my lil circus act in the first place! So please be sure to give your L photocards an extra kiss before bed tonight.

Alright… that was a lot! Let’s get into commentary. Crisp X offers some of the highest praise possible around these parts: “Strong 9Muses vibes, and even more in the final chorus and those background vocals!” Meanwhile, Monkey0 lowkey calls this the best song in the rate?? “The peak of 80s inspired sound for Sweetune.” I mean that’s like 95% of their catalogue so… wig!

RUNAWAY teases his performance for those of you lucky enough to get invited to the rate's afterparty: “Incredible. Such a moment in history, and this was one of those songs where I learned the choreography. Such a defining moment for me personally <3” And Joli Chat joins a queue that I’m not personally part of, but I know at least a few of you are: “Yes L, I’m yours °3°

Finally, he may have shot himself in the foot a tad, but ‘Be Mine’s biggest stan still deserves the last word. Take it away, M24: “My favorite Infinite song… I can't resist that chorus, it's INCREDIBLE! It packs so much energy, and the little "oh"s after every verse just make it better imho. Oh! And the middle-8 dance breakdown is superb too. I wish I understood the video though haha @camden_italian or any other Infinite fan willing to help me out?” Can’t help you there babe, I’m a Dance Version kinda gal!

Speaking of… here is that video. It’s weird that the only pop of colour seems to be Sungjong’s blouse, which mostly serves to accentuate how awkward he looks at 0:40. (If it isn’t obvious, I’m a bit of a Sungyeol/Sungjong anti fff) But apart from Sungkyu’s neck tattoo, which remains hilarious, this is a serve: the choreo’s tight, Woohyun and Hoya both look heart eyes emoji, and all is right with the world.

…wait I forgot about the fucking zebra pants. 2011 was dark, man.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    soratami, M24, ysev and 17 others like this.
  14. Top 20

KARA
    Rock U
    Pretty Girl
    Honey

Wanna
    Mr.
    Lupin
    Jumping

We’re With You
    Step
    Pandora
    Damaged Lady

Lost (feat. Jeong Jinwoon) (Nicole solo)
    Mama (Nicole solo)
    Guilty (Sungyeon solo)
    Daydream (Gyuri solo)

Midnight Queen (Hara solo)

INFINITE
    She’s Back
    BTD (Before the Dawn)
    Nothing’s Over
    Be Mine
    Paradise

White Confession (Lately)
    The Chaser
    Man in Love
    Last Romeo

60Sec (Sunggyu solo)

Rainbow
    A
    Mach

Heo Youngsaeng
    Let it Go (feat. Hyuna)
    The Art of Seduction

9Muses
    Figaro
    News
    Ticket
    Dolls
    Wild
    Gun
    Glue

BOYFRIEND
    Don’t Touch My Girl
    I’ll Be There
    Love Style
    Be My Shine

Janus
    My Lady
    I Yah
    On & On
    Obsession
    Witch
    White Out
    Bounce

SPICA
    Russian Roulette
    Lonely
    Ghost

BEAST
    Hateful Person

Stellar
    Study
    Marionette
    Mask
    Fool

ToHeart
    Delicious
    Tell Me Why

Eric Nam
    Ooh Ooh (feat. Hoya)

ROMEO
    Lovesick
    Target

SNUPER
    Shall We Dance
    Platonic Love

You=Heaven
    It’s Raining
    Back:Hug
    The Star of Stars

Dear

100%
    Better Day
    Sketch U

A.DE
    Good Time

TST
    She
    Mind Control
    Love Story

Paradise
    Wake Up

TARGET
    Hot Feeling
    Awake
    Beautiful

Golden Child
    It’s U
    Lady

Lovelyz
    That Day
    Lost N Found

Delight (Jiae solo)
    Gone (Jin solo)

IZ
    Eden
    Final Kiss

Memento
    The Day

KEEMBO
    Scandalous
    Scene

Untouched Since Top 25

KARA
    Rainbow
    9Muses
    SPICA
    KEEMBO

Elevens Remaining

20 / 22

soratami, ysev, Love Deluxe and 15 others like this.
  15. And now that we've hit the top 20, I think y'all owe me some entertainment. Let's hear those

TOP 10 PREDICTIONS girls!
    (also pretty sure I've made repeated references to 9Muses being the only group intact when Rainbow is very much in the same position fff, my apologies to those ladies!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    soratami, ysev, Love Deluxe and 13 others like this.
  16. I mean, it’s an incredibly solid top 20 but Misandryjustice did a bit tew much this time around.
    [​IMG]

My ideal top 10 would be (in no particular order):

soratami, ysev, vague and 9 others like this.
  17. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

I...... can't decide on my ideal Top 10
    [​IMG]

The Chaser should absolutely make it though.

ysev, vague, evilsin and 7 others like this.
  18. I like to think I invented misandry but giving Be Mine anything below a 9?

[​IMG]

ysev, vague, evilsin and 4 others like this.
  19. Friendly reminder °3°
    As for a top 10... I'm not sure it seems like it'll be 7 songs from 9Muses + maybe some KARA lol

ysev, vague, thommyh and 8 others like this.
  20. Wait, what the fuck? "Be Mine" should still be here.

Me ideal Top10 of the songs left:

Wanna
    Mr.
    Lupin
    Step
    The Chaser
    Mach
    A
    Figaro
    News
    Scandalous

ysev, vague, Pretty Places and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.