ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Now it's actually finished ϟ | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

ϟ The Sweetune Singles Rate: Now it's actually finished ϟ

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Wills, Oct 20, 2020.

1. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

CAN I BREATHE?!!?!!

soratami, evilsin, Joli Chat and 7 others like this.
  2. fhsjks not you somehow tracking down this vid with 961 views from Kara4everMV! I knew I picked the right collaborators!!!

soratami, Love Deluxe, vague and 10 others like this.
  3. You know I love 9MUSES but most of these songs are not as good as Lupin (even though I 10ed basically all of them fffff) there are LIMITS

M24, Monkey0, Joli Chat and 2 others like this.
  4. "Lupin" already out‽ What kind of nightmare? I know we're splitting hairs at this point, since 8 is the lowest score, but oh my god.
    Don't you have only 10s left now though?

soratami, vague, Joli Chat and 3 others like this.
  5. He also has a 9.75, which is like a 6 coming from anyone else, so I understand the frustration

[​IMG]

soratami, Love Deluxe, vague and 12 others like this.
  6. Hey​

[​IMG]

Who's ready to get dragged for preventing this bulletproof banger from going ✈️ Top 10?​

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2012

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 15) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @thommyh, @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Hurricane Drunk, @Monkey0, @ysev, @evilsin, @junkos, @codecat, @roblognick, @Crisp X, @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (7) @Joli Chat (7.5) @M24 (8) @Wills, @camden_italian, @Ana Raquel, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 10

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Joli Chat (7), @Ana Raquel (8)
    *meaning this was their lowest remaining score

Time's up for MUSES, pant-wearers, or whatever 9MUSES' fans are called, as "News" is unfortunately not going to race to the finish line.

First released in January 2012 (jesus) as their 2nd digital single, and later included on their first mini-album Sweet Rendezvous, "News" is pure, unadultared fun! An euphoric synthpop anthem that saw Sweetune provide some of their best melodic chops to our beloved idols. It's quite a special song, not only to me as 9MUSES were one of my very first forays into K-Pop, but to the group itself.

Remember, their beginnings were quite rough, with early singles such as "No Playboy" and "Ladies", gathering criticisms and not really being the best showcase of their potential. I'm not going to touch on the fairly known pressure, abuse, and other shenanigans they were silmutaneously experiencing behind the scenes... but yeah, it was already a tough road for them. However, "Figaro", their sole 2011 release, was a vast improvement, and saw them pick a somewhat signature sound that fit them like a glove. It turned out to be a success for them, and it must have been a relief for the girls to start getting rewarded after enduring such hardship.

I wasn't listening to K-Pop back then, but I have to imagine certain expectations were now put on the (at the time) 8 of them. Unless I'm rewriting history, I hope "News" shattered people's! Some Wikipedia-ing tells me it went on to become their most successful single, giving credence to my point. It feels like 9MUSES were finally a K-Pop act to keep an eye on.

But enough about the context, let's get right into the actual content! Based once again on a retro 80s foundation, "News" quickly goes from the keyboard driven lowkey intro to a cascade of maximalist synths, with Lee Sem and later Euaerin bringing attitude to their semi-rapped parts. The verses not only see Hyemi and Sera serve vocals, but also introduce then new member Kyungri! I always loved how the latter and Hyuna's parts mimicked the synth hook. It's one of those songwriting tricks that Sweetune are great at. Another thing, I've always been drawn to Hyemi's tone. For some reason, the way she sounds reminds me of trot singers ffff so having her vocals in the front, in juxtaposition to those of the whole group's, made for an interesting mix! In contrast, my early bias Eunji was done dirty here...

Back to the song's structure, then comes the chorus through which the group's vocals and harmonies make me ecstatic! 9MUSES always delivered singalongy hooks, and I may have lost my voice trying to sing or aggressively whistle this one. Whew, these K-Pop agencies really aren't training idols for years for nothing uh?

And that high note from Hyemi concluding the bridge? Mawma, she's holding it out longer than the time taken by Star Empire to evict Sera after her final attempt at fighting over the group's creative control! I don't even remember if that was the reason, regardless, I'm still not over it As seen many times in the rate, Sweetune thought they weren't serving drama enough, and decided to up the momentum by putting a key change for the final chorus. As usual, it realigned my chakras and made me want to hit play all over again!

If I can add an unnecessary tangent a personal anecdote, during the voting period, it was a surprise to realize how much I liked it back then and still like it in 2021, because there's something in its sound that could actually be triggering to me. Somehow, it always recalled all those 80s French pop standards that, if you ever find yourself in my country at a funfair or in the middle of a party where mostly everyone is in a drunk state, your ears will be graced with. The kind of which have been overplayed to death, to the point you're not even able to consider the song's quality. Maybe it explains my early aversion to 80s influenced pop... but thankfully I've grown a lot since, otherwise I wouldn't be discussing niche topics such as disbanded K-Pop groups on this pink hellhole with all of you today!

Anyway, unlike the vaguely mentioned songs above, "News" still gets regular plays in my household. It's the kind of nostalgic bop I'll throw once in a while, if only to reminisce about my K-Pop journey, that of such an influential group on me and other MINEs, and their members, both founding ones and those who joined later, who all helped shape a generation of K-Pop in unique ways. It may not be my favorite 9MUSES song -we'll get to that one hopefully the latest possible- but it remains notable for making the group find its footing, for introducing the iconic Kyungri, and it still deserves nothing less than a 10 methinks!

Alright, let's see how much I'll have to pay Sera to drag some of you.

A couple of 2nd generation groups were mentioned, and we start with M24 "This one feels very T-ara for me, I don't know why. It could be a grower, right now I'm not feeling it much." Okay... as a punishment for your lack of glowing praise, you'll have to listen to this for the next 24 hours. No breaks allowed.

I had to ask @Wills for help to decipher roblognick's comment "after banger". I'm just gonna pretend it's actually about After School!

I can't tell whether this is a pun on the controversial aespa, but Monkey0 claimed "My favourite 9Musaes song, so sharp and hard-hitting." It really is, and it's all about those synths!

While BeingNormal has often lived their life to the fullest to it "Of course I have pretended to do some photoshoot and runway when I hear this song." I would like to see it.gif miss you unnie, awaiting your comeback <3

This time, RUNAWAY turned into a full blown Lee Sem stan "I was already a fan of Lee Sem’s with her iconic performances of Ladies, but this was the song that cemented my eternal bias for her. My god what they could do with no budget was insane. Her opening of the song is STILL iconic, and her writhing around in that little box in the video was legendary. And Eunji lipsyncing for eternal life to someone else’s high note will never not be iconic." Dd I didn't even mention the video, which has some parts that I do appreciate like the kaleidoscope-y shots, but it moves at such a frenetic pace, and the shaky feeling of it all gives me a headache! And yes, another proof that Eunji was done dirty (bis)!!

And we end with our lovely host Wills, who graciously offered me the opportunity to guest star in his own rate “fff I feel like I’m gonna get dragged for this… and 8 isn’t even a bad score! I’ve just never connected with this the way so many others seem to, and frankly, I know it’s my loss. But none of you are here to listen to me defend my score, so I’m grateful I could hide behind hand the reins over to the incomparable @Crisp X unnie to explain why this is a masterpiece. And if this mea culpa isn’t enough… the petition link is probably still live!” Yeah after reading this commentary, now is a good time to post it again x

And that's all from me today, enjoy the videos below and please stay safe!

[​IMG]

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 19 others like this.
  7. Done dirty in the 9MUSES rate, done dirty in the Sweetune rate. Just little KPJ things.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  8. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Um

Just know that I truly didn't see this mess coming.......

[​IMG]
    TIE

[​IMG]

YEAR: 2013

NO SERIOUSLY, THEY PEAKED: (11 x 2) @RUNAWAY, @ysev

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 11) @Slice of Life, @aux, @thommyh, @Hurricane Drunk, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @roblognick, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel, @soratami (9.5) @camden_italian, @junglefish (9.25) @vague
    HATE TO SEE IT: (6) @evilsin (6.5) @M24 (7.5) @Wills (7.75) @Remorque
    AS FOR ME: it’s my 11

LUCKY UNNIES*: @Monkey0 (8.5), @evilsin (6), @M24 (6.5)

Lemme just start by saying how disappointed I am in you all. After the poor showing this had in the Nine Muses discography rate (not even top 10 REALLY?!) you tasteless heathens still didn't give this song the position it deserved. Yes, the average is insanely high but that's not the point. The point is, this DESERVED a top 5 position and you all know it......@evilsin WHAT'S GOOD?!

Anyway......with the release of Dolls and the addition of new member Sungah, Nine Muses was a full 9 member unit for the first time since their first comeback Ladies (immediately after which hair icon Bini and DJ Rana departed the band). It was also the group’s first comeback of 2013, the best and most prolific year of their career. Released on January 24th, 2013 the OT9 lineup was once again complete, and Korea was here for them with the release of this song. It went on to peak at number 17 on the Gaon charts (their highest position ever at the time), sold over 480,000 copies, and had their best chance at winning a music show, but sadly that never happened for them.

The lyrics find the girls asking the question “What is love?” and singing about their heartbreak over a brassy, funky beat that is trademark Sweetune. Seriously y'all THOSE HORNS!!!! I have @Oleander moments to the instrumental all the time, it's not even funny. Seriously, the level of excellence Sweetune produced with this song, literally nothing measures up. To me, this is their absolute best production of their career, and it just gets better and better with age.

With a couple lovely lines on the intro from Sungah, Hyuna and Minha serving on the verses, a chorus led by Kyungri, Hyemi, and Sera, excellent raps by Eunji and Euaerin, 1 memorable line by Lee Sem, and absolutely ICONIC choreography, this is song is their crowning jewel for me. It's just....everything to me. This is also when I finally became a Lee Sem bias, as evidenced by my original commentary yet to come.

Starting off our commentary is the lovely Joli Chat:A classic, it gets better as time goes by!” Completely!! I honestly can't understand not loving this song, and I guess our low scorers must be very boring or tasteless or something like that. Speaking of low scorers, let's hear one from one of them. M24:I like the style. Again, it shows just how much Sweetune varied their productions. Unfortunately, it's not as catchy as the rest of their work with 9Muses.” Hmm.....um yeah so this is factually untrue, and you WILL be going to jail for treason. Thank yew. Going back to the MINEs, Oppa thommyh continues to show taste: “This song is so fun, gorgeous, and blissful in all facets.” First the excellence of the City Pop rate and now this? I'm stanning you! Speaking of....when is that rate going to resume? (Don't come for me, I wrote this before you came back ddddd). Continuing on with his Nine Muses stanning commentary is roblognick:after banger(He just loves Nine Muses you guys.)

Our lovely host Wills provided some commentary as well I guess, and I wish he hadn't: “fff I feel like I’m gonna get dragged for this… and 7.5 isn’t even a bad score! I’ve just never connected with this the way so many others seem to, and frankly, I know it’s my loss. But none of you are here to listen to me defend my score, so I’m grateful I could hide behind hand the reins over to the incomparable @RUNAWAY oppa to explain why this is a masterpiece. And if this mea culpa isn’t enough… the petition link is probably still live!” It sure is! Make your voice heard here! And prepare for the draggings to come @Wills. You better sleep with one eye open at night.....jk jk

And finishing us off is.....well.....ME!

RUNAWAY: this was my eleven from the moment this rate started. After its horrible performance in the actual Nine Muses rate, I was not gonna let this happen again. Dolls is my favorite Sweetune production, and favorite Nine Muses song, and over the years, it’s become one of my favorite songs OF ALL TIME. Also, the single comes with Just Looking, which is my favorite of their b-sides, so yeah. The incredible production, the irresistible chorus, the perfection that is the choreography…..I could go on and on. I would like to share this performance of the song, as my bias Lee Sem has a very special moment. Right before her start of the second verse, the cameras go behind the girls, and you get to see a pure smile from her, as well as a closeup when her verse starts, and she struts down the stage. The wind threatening to blow the girls hats off also makes me laugh, but you can just tell that they're having such a good time in this performance. Just like with Rock U, I can put on this performance and instantly start to feel better if I’m having a terrible day, or in need of cheering up.

Below we have the official video, dance practice, comeback stage including Just Looking, and the very special performance I mentioned in my commentary which also includes an OT9 version of Ticket, the girls performing airport jobs (Kyungri as an air traffic controller is highkey legendary), and some iconic fabulousness from Lee Sem in the airport.

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 20 others like this.
  9. News and Glue leaving before Gun...

[​IMG]

BeingNormal, vague, thommyh and 6 others like this.
  10. "News" is and "Dolls" isn't, really.

M24, Joli Chat and Wills like this.
  11. If there's one thing this rate got right, it's this!

[​IMG]

Cotton Park, Serg., vague and 6 others like this.
  12. Aaahhhhhh, waking up to this double feature and thinking of all the other things I get to spend my day doing

[​IMG]

@Crisp X and @RUNAWAY thank you both so much!!! I love love loved reading your thots on these tracks... and who knows: maybe they'll help me love them even more before SWEE2NE RATE: The Sweequel!

Anyways,
    More apology brownies coming right up

[​IMG]

13. Also! We're only ONE song away from our top ten! I'm not gonna make this a nicely formatted post cuz I'm already late for something:
    • Mr.
    • Step
    • Pandora
    • Midnight Queen
    • The Chaser
    • A
    • Mach
    • Figaro
    • Ticket
    • Wild
    • Gun
    What are we losing in our flop #11 spot???

14. Not to ruffle Inspirit's feathers but it's time for The Chaser to go.

[​IMG]

soratami, vague, roblognick and 5 others like this.
  15. @camden_italian deal with her please

BeingNormal, vague, evilsin and 8 others like this.
  16. The way my jaw hit the floor when I saw it was Dolls and not gun
    @evilsin
    [​IMG]
    binch!

BeingNormal, Serg., vague and 7 others like this.
  17. Gun is fantastic please

[​IMG]

The ideal would be The Chaser indeed as it's my only score below 10 if I remember correctly. Watch it be my 11 instead.

soratami, Serg., vague and 5 others like this.

18. Also not sure I'm into the trend of people using Kumi gifs against me...

soratami, vague, Joli Chat and 2 others like this.
  19. Any score on a Sweetune 9Muses song that's less than a 10? TRAGIC. The state of you lot.

j/k I love you all.

Luck, vague, ysev and 3 others like this.
  20. Aight let's hit it.

KARA to 9Muses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEAR: 2012

LOVE TO HEAR IT: (10 x 11) @Slice of Life, @aux, @RUNAWAY, @BeingNormal, @junkos, @Joli Chat, @codecat, @roblognick, @Crisp X, @Ana Raquel, @vague (9.25) @thommyh (9) @Wills, @Monkey0, @ysev, @soratami, @Empty Shoebox
    HATE TO SEE IT: (7.5) @camden_italian (7.75) @Remorque
    AS FOR ME: it’s a 9

LUCKY UNNIES*: @camden_italian (7.5), @junglefish (8.75), @Hurricane Drunk (8.5), @Monkey0 (9)

After spending the entire rate bodying the competition, 9Muses abruptly lose their third track in a row (fourth overall), which would put them in a dead heat with KARA – were it not for the Midnight Queen herself tipping the scales. Add to that our untouched underdogs Rainbow and a lone Infinite track representing all the boys we lost along the way, and you get… one hell of a top ten.

But before we move on to the final leg, let’s chat ‘Ticket’. This track was released to promote the group’s Sweet Rendezvous EP, which also housed the previously-eliminated ‘News’ and Sweetune Rate top 10 hit ‘Figaro’. This was also their best-performing track to date, reaching #33 on the Gaon chart.

I think this is the most single-minded of the 9Muses tracks here – where cuts like ‘Figaro’, ‘Wild’ and ‘Gun’ seem to be constantly juggling their many moving parts, ‘Ticket’ feels focused in its approach, allowing the group to channel all that pent-up energy into the megawatt chorus. Personally, I dig the simplicity – this might be the closest the group ever got to dumb fun, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

And yeah, the chorus totally steals the show here – the whole track is solid, but when your central hook is that lethal, everything else is bound to feel a bit like biding time. Of course, that’s being a bit unfair: each section plays an integral role in gluing (kii) the track together, and it’s certainly never boring – it’s just impossible not to get impatient for the chorus’ next all-out assault.

I’m curious if anyone knows what kind of beat they use in the verses – I’ve definitely heard this kind of shuffling rhythm before. Regardless, it adds a nice variance in energy, which makes the gear-shifting prechorus that much more dramatic. Overall, I’m not shocked to see this fall outside of the top 10 – nor am I upset about it – but this absolutely earned the #11 spot.

M24 gave this a half-point less than I did, though with similar justification: “One way, one way, one way tickeeet!! That was stuck in my head yesterday haha. Wish the rest of the song had more hooks for me to justify giving it a higher score.” Meanwhile, Joli Chat’s commentary will surely make a certain someone very happy: “This is Sem’s song, her moment to shine!

Speaking of, let’s hear what RUNAWAY has to say: “Oh my god the video is so fucking cheap looking, but that choreography I will never forget. The chorus is absolutely INCREDIBLE, and this should have been a huge, world conquering hit for them. A true pop injustice.” Oop, tea, but we’ll come back to that in a moment, because…

Normally I’d save the above for last, but roblognick deserves his own special paragraph. For anyone who hasn’t been paying attention, his 9Muses commentary thus far has been a string of “Banger” “after banger” “after banger,” and so on. Normally this wouldn’t cause any problems, except that I’ve been whoring out 9Muses eliminations to anyone with an internet connection, meaning I’ve needed to provide context each time… without giving away the elimination order. Trust me when I say it’s been a headache! That said, I guarantee it had more to do with my failure to communicate than any issue with the commentary itself – so don’t worry @roblognick bb, you did great.

Oh, right, his commentary: “after banger.” And there you have it.

Below is the video, and @RUNAWAY spilled: it’s cheap as hell! The unflinching, 10-second shot of Gyeongree at 1:03 (with no obvious artistic justification) really drives home the kind of budget we’re dealing with. That said, equally true is that the choreo fucking slaps: I’ve literally injured myself trying to helicopter my arm around like that, and there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that y’all have done the same.

BeingNormal, soratami, M24 and 20 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.