The Taylor Swift Discography Rate: Finally, We’re Out Of The Woods | Page 232 | The Popjustice Forum

The Taylor Swift Discography Rate: Finally, We’re Out Of The Woods

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Jul 10, 2018.

1. You Belong With Me belongs in the top 5.

2. Awwww, kinda cute that, that is what finished at #13 though, right?

3. So, ‘Sparks Fly’ is a weird one for me.

I owe my ardent love for the track to two things that both coincided at the start of Sunmer. The first was this rate kicking off and forcing me to give Speak Now a much needed re-evaluation after years away and the second was a guy I was starting to fall for at the same time.

It doesn’t take a genius to guess how the latter initially informed my enjoyment of the track; capturing that propulsive jolt when you’re thrown into new feelings and at the back of your mind all the archetypal romantic bullshit (sparks flying, kissing in the rain, fireworks) starts to feel less sterile and contrived and something you crave to legitimise your own feelings. When you’re sort of trying to wrestle with your head versus your heart, not wanting to get ahead of yourself but inside wanting to say “Fuck it” and just throw yourself into it head first, without consequence anyway.

... but months later, long after the guy and those initial feeling and the memories i’d prescribed onto it had faded and it’s fundamentally still my favourite track of hers. I stan a wordy chorus and somehow ‘Sparks Fly’ manages to feel direct and streamlined even as she fires through every platitude under the sun and convincingly takes you along for the ride.

It’s sort of telling (and frankly terrifying given how bulletproof the track is, from a melodic standpoint) that she originally wrote this at such a young age because it feels like one of the most earnest tracks she’s ever put to paper. Not the most ostensibly autobiographical or even the “biggest” sounding, compared to what came after, but, yeah... just really sweet and I guess that’s what I needed from her at the time.

Sweet dreams, ‘Sparks Fly’; the #13 position is a neat consolation prize.

4. KRWEEN! Lea Michele found decomposing!

I never quite got Brittana, much as I wanted to, but that did leave me a bit bleary-eyed too. Naya never got enough recognition for her vocals.

berserkboi likes this.
  5. I was convinced that with all the positivity for Sparks Fly in the thread that it was an easy top ten and was going to out-peak it's position in the last rate (just missing out on the top 10 at #11).

Alas, not to be. For years it would have been my Taylor 11 and it was my #2 song of all time in the Ultimate Popjustice countdown. It's a very close second favourite though and I don't know a better song that captures that, well, spark of falling for someone completely.

Rem, sexercise, alanmr and 6 others like this.
  6. This means it actually did better than the last rate as there are two new albums/ five new songs in front of it.

Rem, sexercise, Florencia. and 4 others like this.
  7. True! If it doesn’t take too much math, maybe I’ll try to figure out which pre-1989 songs moved up/down by taking out the tracks that weren’t rated in the first rate.

Rem, sexercise, Florencia. and 7 others like this.
  8. If you want I can try to do that too after this rate is done. I'm curious about it too. We'll see.

9. Delete the rows for 1989 and Repuslaytion tracks in your spreadsheet and no math is necessary!

ohnostalgia, Memph and Verandi like this.
  10. I believe that the first rate probably included her features, so it’s not as simple as that. But also probably not a colossal task.

Slice of Life likes this.
  11. There goes my winner pick and one of my favorite songs of all time. I probably would give it my 11 if we were rating now.

Slice of Life and ohnostalgia like this.
  12. @ me next time. You're welcome.

Also @ohnostalgia yes the song is even better now.

ohnostalgia likes this.

[​IMG]

MINE | 8.905

High: 11 x 1
    @Veeis 10 x 21 @31entrance @aaronhansome @aniraz @Beginner @Blond @Dangerous Maknae @enjoy v2.0 @GimmeWork @happiestgirl @Hurricane Drunk @Jwentz @motorbike @Music Is Life @rdp @Remorque @Sally_Harper @Sanctuary @Slice of Life @sweetlikegrande @Verandi @VivaForever
    Low: 6 x 1 @Seventeen Days

ohnostalgia: 9

ten reasons why Mine deserved a 9 average

uh-AH-ahhh
    uh-AH-ahhh

"This is a situation where a guy that I just barely knew put his arm around me by the water, and I saw the entire relationship flash before my eyes, almost like a weird science-fiction movie. After I wrote the song, things sort of fell apart, as things so often do. And I hadn’t talked to him in a couple months. And the song came out, and that day, I got an e-mail from him. And I was like, ‘Yes!’ Because that one was sort of half-confession and half-prediction or projection of what I saw."

Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, shit on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it lyricism and guitar work.

the absolute head rush of-
    DO YOU REMEMBER WE WERE SITTING THERE BY THE WATER?
    YOU PUT YOUR ARM AROUND ME FOR THE FIRST TIME.

you made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

it's a deft take on her parents' separation-
    "you learn my secrets and find out why I'm guarded
    you say we'll never make my parent's mistakes"

it diverges from her usual love at first sight, sparks flying, whirlwind romancing, broken hearted, avenging and revenging narratives.

that amazingly propulsive bridge leading into

then you took me by surprise
    you said, "I'll never leave you alone."

hold on, make it last
    hold on, never turn back
    hold on, do you believe it?
    hold on, we're gonna make it now
    hold on, and I can see it

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

It feels mean to open with our perpetual low scorer, so let's head to constant complainer @Ashling92 (7) instead: "This song is perfectly fine, but it’s hard to get excited about when there are much better songs on the album." Well... I can tell you were new to rates because you ranked tracks within an album instead of discography wide. @Seventeen Days (6): "I will admit, the first time I heard this was only because I heard a parody version first. But at least it made me listen to the original. And I like it." *heavy sigh* @KingBruno (7.5): "Clichéd, but she does it pretty well." I'd argue that Mine's bridge flips all those clichés on their head, but that's me. @unnameable (9): 'Adorable," @31entrance (10): "yeah that chorus is massive," @Music Is Life (10): "Perfect lead single. This is such a beautiful story and the lyrics! Only Taylor could give us this masterpiece (obviously)." One day we'll get you into the songwriters who influenced Taylor. Which isn't to take away from Taylor's talents at all, but I think you get a richer understanding of Mine if you understand the tropes she's drawing from and how she makes them.... wait for it..... Hers.

@Lila (9) makes a bold prediction: "I’m sure a lot of people’s commentary is going to be focused on the incomparable “careless man’s careful daughter” line, but it is the single best lyrical moment in her entire discography." I am SHOCKED, just SHOCKED that she's right. @sexercise (9): "YOU MADE A REBEL OF A CARELESS MAN’S CAREFUL DAUGHTER." @DJHazey (8.5): "That one line "you made a rebel of careless man's careful daughter" always runs through my head as I'm playing song; a wonderful string of words that just roll off the tongue. Such a classic foot-tapping bop in general." @Rem (8): "Not my favourite lead single of hers, but ‘you made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter’ is so iconic, god." @Verandi (10): "This one grew on me with time. "You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter" is surely the best line on the album." @Jonathan27 (8.5): "You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter” is one of her best ever lyrics. As much as we’ve seen Taylor lyrically plateau, Mine is an example of what she could accomplish when tackling domestic happiness." @Slice of Life (10): "I thought this was so weak as a first single back then. But I stan, oh I stan so much now. I can sing the lyrics to this perfectly and I'm proud of that. "YOU MADE A REBEL OF A CARELESS MAN'S CAREFUL DAUGHTER" is cringe but genius at the same time? Iconic. AND THAT MIDDLE 8. Wig flew." @VivaForever (10): ' I used to hear this in Kohl’s all the time. (I say “used to” because I haven’t been in Kohl’s in years. Honestly, they’re probably still playing it.) “You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter” is a fantastic line." @Sally_Harper (10): “You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter.” I LOVE THIS SONG. I remember going through the music channels to try and find it all the time when it first came out, and I usually succeeded because it was on a lot. It drove my brother nuts."

@Babyface (8): "It’s funny, when I first heard this song 8 years ago I was a little underwhelmed as a fan that her big comeback after winning AOTY for Fearless was this nice little love song. I was expecting something bigger, something more instant that would shoot straight to #1, but with age I’ve really grown to appreciate the details that 16 year old me didn’t quite grasp. I feel like she never gets credit for openly singing about the breakdown of her parent’s relationship and how that has impacted her experiences with love, but I guess not many people are aware of Scott and Andrea’s separation (I sure wasn’t at the time). The bridge absolutely destroys me now (especially “braced myself for the goodbye, cause that’s all I’ve ever known, but you took me by surprise, you said ‘I’ll never leave you alone’) and the melodies and layered vocals at the end are a great touch. I always go back and forth between this and Love Story as my favorite Taylor lead, and it continues to age like fine wine." I love when the "haterz" write out all the reasons why Mine is one of the best Speak Now tracks ;) @əʊæ (9): makes me break out Google Dictionary: "This one's a tough nut to crack. Obviously, it is very cliche, far-fetched, Nicholas Sparks ecranisation-like. But there is also that undeniable post-chorus which deserves a 10 on its own. So I'm just going to deduct a point for that "the best thing that's ever been mine" line. It has always bugged me. I know she didn't mean objectification and stuff but, as a non-native speaker, I have always found it weirdly possessive in such an innocuous song." Of all the far-fetched things in Taylor's discography...a long term relationship that lasts. I guess that fits. @RUNAWAY (9): "This song is such a solid piece of music, but the incredibly simple chorus has always held it back from being perfect to me." @Trouble in Paradise (9.5): 'Boy howdy do I love a wordy chorus!" All the best choruses are.

@PushyBakerFriend (9.5): "This is a perfect example of how Taylor takes a pretty good melody and raises it with truly great lyrics. That chorus really goes OFF." I still shake every time you express a correct opinion. @pop3blow2 (9): "The sound of a songwriter hitting her stride. This is what I listen to pop music for. Thank you, Taylor." @GimmeWork (10): "What a classic! Lyrically I don’t think Taylor had ever been stronger before this point." @Remorque (10): "Speak Now is when she started to really perfect her songwriting skills as this is perfect storytelling instead of an outtake out of her diary from when she was fourteen years old. She gives us a nice little performance and the pop mix of this one sounds perfect to my ears." I still don't understand your obsession with tearing down "dear diary" lyrics, but let me take this compliment and run. @Blond (10): "This isn’t hyperbole, I think that this is the most underrated Taylor Swift single of all time." Um Look What You Made Me Do says hello sweatie. Last word to @Veeis (11): "Upgraded and better You Belong With Me. Such a rush, it has a hit written all over it. I loved it from the very first listen and I love it still. I decided that my 11 is Mine mostly because I have such a great feeling attached to this song and it didn't happen to any other Tay song."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  14. I do wonder what it is about “you made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter” that makes all our lizard brains light up.

15. Mine was my lowest score left so I should be happy but I’m a bit sad Speak Now is only placing one song in the top 10. It got done so dirty down the stretch of this rate, starting with Last Kiss and Dear John leaving in the high-twenties.

16. We don't speak of that.

17. YES! The 'careless man's....' line is fantastic, but this is probably my fave lyrics in the song. What a songwriter.

18. Love Story being voted the best lead single is... correct.

19. I think a lot of us recognize how we react related to parental issues. It's incisive in a way that rarely gets noted, a lot like Gaga's "but her boyfriend's like her dad, just like her dad" line which always connects. (Another Gaga parent lyric that always gets me too is the one from Gypsy with "it's the way that you love and treat your mother", just little observations that we note in said lizard brains but rarely speak.)

20. Anyways, I remember (we were sitting there...) when Mine first came out, I had finally softened to her after being one of those "she only complains about her exes!" people before being beaten down by the majesty of Love Story's chord change. It was very much me thinking "ah well she could use another final chord change" but the way the counter melody at the end works feels just as cathartic and honestly, one of her most well-crafted songs and just such a testament to her ability to write small observations that seem universal and ALSO strap a V8 engine of a fucking chorus to said stories.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.