The Tori Amos thread | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

The Tori Amos thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ladygagaogaga, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I'm a part-time Tori fan (as in, I only own Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, Boys For Pele and From The Choirgirl Hotel)... that said, I'd rank Spark as not only her best single but also one of the most heartbreaking songs ever made. Makes me tear up every time I hear it!

2. Precious Things is an amazing song, I've been able to get a few of Tori's albums. Her most recent stuff seems to be very weak in comparison to her older material from what I've noticed.

3. I know a lot of people disagree, but I'm of the opinion that she held it together talent-wise until after Abnormally Attracted To Sin was released.

Strange Little Girls and The Beekeeper may be creative dips, even if the former was the result of a label dispute, but they're still more than adequate and she certainly bounced back strong after both.

Sadly, I don't really have any time for her now. I think she's on a downward spiral creatively. The spark (ahem) has gone.

4. I think "The Beekeeper" is unfairly maligned. It's a bit overlong and has some clunkers in the middle ("Ireland" and "Cars & Guitars" are some of the worst offenders), but it has great moments too. I also have a very stubborn and personal love for "Martha's Foolish Ginger" and "Parasol" that might be clouding my judgement.

For me, she didn't start falling apart until "American Doll Posse."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Miss Myra Ellen Amos is 50 today.

6. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

7. It is brilliant. The video is phenomenal too.

8. Around 1996 she was sexy as HELL.

9. There is a video on her website of her recieving a cake during rehearsals for the musical, without wig!

Honestly so much love for her.

10. The musical has real potential to be amazing. She's undeniably talented, but I got tired of wishing she'd break out of her comfort zone and a. work with a producer not part of her entourage, b. edit edit edit, c. write lyrics that occasionally make sense.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  11. So I'm bumping this.

As I said in the Unrepentant Geraldines thread, I've been a casual fan since I was probably...fourteen? and Selkie inspired me to start looking into her again, starting with the B-sides (thanks, hereinmyhead.com!). I'm actually quite surprised at how much I like what I've heard so far, I was afraid I'd find her too esoteric or something. I love her covers, too - Smells Like Teen Spirit is beautiful.

When I get home in a few weeks I'm going to start getting the albums I don't have (which is everything other than Boys for Pele and Scarlet's Walk). Should I go chronologically, or not?

12. SYBT

SYBT Guest

Chronological order is best as you can see the evolution but after Boys each album is pretty much it's own thing and theme.

Obviously you wont bother with Y Kant Tori Read but I suggest listening to this song from it

[video=youtube;KSFpCrif26Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFpCrif26Q[/video]

13. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I go through them.

I listened to Y Kant Tori Read a few months ago out of curiosity and I actually liked it quite a bit, even if I can't remember how a lot of it sounds. I should listen to it again...why do so many fans seem to hate it? I mean I know her hair was horrific during that time but it's not like Alanis where her pre-fame material sounds drastically different and "forced".

14. SYBT

SYBT Guest

I don't think they hate it just it isn't exactly the Tori they fell in love with. Tori pulls the odd song from it to perform live sometimes.

This is my fave Tori video ever, so captivating facially and with the emotion she conveys, she can hold my attention like no one else. No need for dancers, lights etc when you can do this -

[video=youtube;DnlGv1l_Hjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlGv1l_Hjs[/video]

15. I agree. Spark was the single that got me into Tori, although I'm also just a part-time fan! I love Boys for Pele and From the Choirgirl Hotel and like Under the Pink but find a lot of her output underwhelming, especially the more recent stuff. I liked her best around 1996-1998. She's fantastic live though. Have only seen her once, in 2010, but would happily go and see her again.

16. Did she ever retire? Why is she in Comeback Corner? Is it like the VH1 to the general music discussion's MTV?

17. I think like Joni or Kate that she is in a class of her own when it comes to female singer/songwriters, but I never got around to getting her last three releases. I get the sense that she's still in a creative rut with this new album.

18. Hey everyone....

I've spent the last few days watching Youtube clips of Tori from the 1996 era. 'Caught A Lite Sneeze' is still one of my favourite songs. I know its not up there with her classics, but it just still sounds so fresh now. Her stuff really hasnt dated in my opinion. Just discovered 'Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version). Love it.

19. She is the epitome of 'no quality control'.

20. SYBT

SYBT Guest

In some ways that is an endearing thing about her these days. I know a 12 track album of only the best songs would make for a stronger body of work, but you cant really slate an artist for wanting to get as much music as possible out there. In the day and age of ipods, itunes etc making your own 12 track album out of the 20 something of say ADP is pretty easy. Also you will be surprised how people's top 12 tracks differ and leaving off what you may think was an turd of a track ends up being one others love.

Caught a lite sneeze is glorious in it combines bat shit crazy with tender and beautiful, even the video manages to absolutely capture the same thing. Can you imagine anyone releasing a song like that today when they were at their commercial peak?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.