The Tori Amos thread | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

The Tori Amos thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ladygagaogaga, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I think my list would be something like this (excluding Gold Dust, covers and xmas and soundtrack stuff)

- Almost perfect -
    Little Earthquakes
    From the Choirgirl Hotel
    Under the Pink

- Some filler but still solid -
    American Doll Posse
    Boys for Pele
    To Venus and Back

- Some more filler but pleasant in general -
    Scarlett's Walk

- A LOT of filler but still has a couple of gems -
    Native Invader
    Abnormally Attracted to Sin
    The Beekeeper

- At least it's not a Xmas album -
    Unrepentant Geraldines

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. I don't dislike any of her music, but there were a few years where she lost her way.

These aren't in order of preference, just gathered in terms of greatness artistically...

Little Earthquakes
    Under The Pink
    Boys For Pele
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    To Venus and Back
    Strange Little Girls
    Scarlet's Walk
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    Native Invader

Night Of Hunters

The Beekeeper
    American Doll Posse

Abnormally Attracted To Sin
    Midwinter Graces
    Gold Dust

3. Where would you put Scarlett's Walk? I feel like that will be my next to track down since I adore Sorta Fairytale.

4. I guess I'll try doing this, although like I said...my ranking within each category changes often and without notice

FLAWLESS
    Boys for Pele
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    Strange Little Girls
    Under The Pink
    Little Earthquakes
    Scarlet's Walk
    To Venus and Back

NOT FLAWLESS BUT STILL SOLID
    Native Invader
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    Night of Hunters
    Y Kant Tori Read

WOULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER WITH JUDICIOUS TRIMMING
    American Doll Posse
    The Beekeeper

...EXISTS
    Gold Dust
    Midwinter Graces

It's so funny to look back when I was just getting into Tori like five years ago and see how much my tastes have changed. Abnormally Attracted To Sin being the first full album I listened to didn't help

enjoy v2.0, fancygreen and tylerc904 like this.
  5. Also not to be messy but of the four I've heard I'd actually say:
    Little Earthquakes
    Y Kan't Tori Read

From the Choirgirl Hotel
    Under the Pink

Boys for Pele

6. I can't even be offended at Pele being last in your ranking, knowing my own long path to loving it - the first time I heard the album version of Professional Widow (keep in mind I'd only ever heard the infamous Armand van Helden remix) it absolutely terrified me to the point of not bothering with Tori again until years later. It intimidated me at first but once it hits you on a visceral level, it hits hard and never lets go - now I own probably...three or four copies of it? and I'd definitely say it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Also, the era itself is absolutely fascinating - she was arguably at peak public/alternative radio awareness so everything she did was a huge moment, and the entire album cycle feels like it's crackling with energy even now. The RAINN benefit concert from 1997 is essential Tori stan viewing once you've gotten more acclimated - it was recorded a month or so after she had her first miscarriage, and the raw, unfiltered catharsis exuding from her every move, utterance and performance from the second she hits that stage is unbelievable. It's one of the most insane and powerful live performances I've ever seen, and gives an interesting context to From The Choirgirl Hotel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    enjoy v2.0, blissteria, Cundy and 2 others like this.
  7. Whoops I forgot ah. I updated the post. The album is kind of a different situation than all the others for me, as it holds none of my favourite Tori songs but at the same time it sustains a decent quality throughout. Sadly I see it as the true beginning of her "sanitised" sound of her latter career. I love Strange though.

8. After relishing discovering Tori 10 years ago, I loved Little Earthquakes straight away, and obviously Abnormally Attracted to Sin was coming out, I was excited to experience a Tori era for the first time, but I couldn't get in to the album, and I think the track listing was to blame.
    @Andy French are there any trimmed down track list examples for her bloated albums?

Andy French likes this.
  9. These are the ones I use, the tracks aren't shifted around in order except for The Beekeeper (because I haven't really had time to sequence the rest properly) but I cut the ones I either don't care for or outright can't stand.

THE BEEKEEPER (-EP)
    Original Sinsuality
    Sweet The Sting
    Sleeps With Butterflies
    Martha's Foolish Ginger
    Toast
    The Beekeeper
    Garlands

AMERICAN DOLL POSSE
    Big Wheel
    Bouncing Off Clouds
    Teenage Hustling
    Mr. Bad Man
    Girl Disappearing
    Father's Son
    Programmable Soda
    Roosterspur Bridge
    Velvet Revolution
    Dark Side of the Sun
    Smokey Joe
    Dragon
    Miracle

ABNORMALLY ATTRACTED TO SIN (- EP)
    Give
    Welcome To England
    Flavor
    Curtain Call
    Lady In Blue
    Oscar's Theme

10. I love you and all, but "Forest of Glass" is one of Tori's best songs in a thousand years so be kind/rewind this assessment. (Though the less said "Giant's Rolling Pin" the better yeesh.)

11. kii at you excluding my favourite track from each of these albums.

But honestly anybody could make their own 12-tracker versions of the longer albums and the opinions would be wildly different.

Andy French likes this.
  12. I really like the first 7 songs of 'Boys For Pele'. Then it's kind of... meh, apart from a couple of tracks.

It seems her American fans love it though.

13. I really tried with the album, especially after seeing many good reviews about it, but it's the only one of hers where I cannot pick a single song that I truly adore. "Giant's Rolling Pin"... exists.

14. That's the thing - they're all so incredibly massive that you could literally do any configuration you want. Save for AAtS (because I absolutely never want to hear Maybe California again if I can help it), I have the songs I don't listen to on those albums in my iTunes still, they're just unchecked so that on the off-chance that I decide to listen to the whole album again and find that I like one or a few of them, I can just re-check them.

Actually, I'm like 98% sure that's already happened a few times with both Doll Posse and Beekeeper - I've gone through periods where I know I had Digital Ghost and Parasol on my phone, so

enjoy v2.0 and Verandi like this.
  15. Though wildly different, I feel like Lana is the closest thing we have to Tori in terms of prolific singer songwriters. I hope Lana can maintain a consistent quality and calibre onto her 14th album (this is not shade to Tori at all), but I suppose if you are truly a fan of either lady you will always find something of value in their work. Tori seems to be a different animal entirely in terms of sound, her approach to music, and just about everything. I speak solely in terms of quantity/frequency when comparing the two!

enjoy v2.0, Verandi and Andy French like this.
  16. I don't dislike any of Tori's albums, there are obvious masterpieces but I don't mind a bit of Fori too.

My faves in order:

Boys For Pele

Little Earthquakes
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    Under The Pink

To Venus and Back
    Scarlet's Walk
    The Beekeeper
    Native Invader
    Y Kant Tori Read
    Night Of Hunters
    Unrepentant Geraldines

Gold Dust
    Strange Little Girls
    Midwinter Garces
    American Doll Posse

17. Also not to sound like the "listen to all the b-sides!" kind of stan, but @tylerc904 the CD2 of the Little Earthquakes remaster would be basically in her top5 albums for me if we consider it as such. Flying Dutchman and Take To The Sky are stunning songs.

18. Sugar is in my Tori Top 5. I need to spend more time with the others, I know I remember liking Mary quite a bit.

twicezero, Andy French and Verandi like this.
  19. I would argue it's the most honest and invested she's sounded in some time despite the occasional iffy moment.

But! In all fairness, I think some of the songs suffer from thin production choices, so I can respect it not working as a whole. Plus there are a few songs that I would've maybe reworked or left off entirely. Still, I'm surprised none of the piano and voice tracks hit you.

[​IMG]
    Not even Weatherman? Oysters? Selkie? Invisible Boy?
    For - est - of - Glass? (to whom I ignore its bonus track status because it's on my CD and it's that strong / queen of album outtakes)

At least we agree here! We can remain friends.

Me to "Giant's Rolling Pin":
    [​IMG]

enjoy v2.0 and Andy French like this.

20. I'd go with that. Although I'd probably bump Abnormally Attracted to Sin a little higher. It gets way too much hate. Boys for Pele would probably go down a notch as I never really liked it all that much (sorry).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.