The Tori Amos thread | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

The Tori Amos thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ladygagaogaga, Aug 19, 2013.

1. It's my favourite Tori album without a doubt. Bliss is...well...bliss.

2. Playing the more 'unloved' later albums and finding that they are not the turkeys I expected!

3. I hammered it to death. It was brilliant the day it was released, and has never tarnished. Not a bad track, a lovely album which follows on really well form Choirgirl Hotel. The electronics, the moody ambience... even the bonus live CD is extremely good. Unfortunately, future albums never really drew me in as much. Too patchy and inconsistent...

4. The later albums are all fine, they just could have done with a few tracks culled on them but they all would have made very good 10-12 track albums in my opinion. Back in the day of proper singles she could have had shorter albums and used the surplus as bonus tracks on a singles campaign.

5. Unrepentant Geraldines was a true return to form. It's up there with her 90's work.

blissteria likes this.
  6. I still can't get into Geraldine's, bar Promise. The only post-90s album I really rate beyond a few tracks is American Doll Posse.

7. ^ I'm the complete opposite, for me 'Promise' is the only dud on UG.

'Oysters' is her best track in over a decade.

8. There's just something missing for me. But maybe my tastes have changed!!!

9. Invisible Boy has grown on me so, so much in the last couple of months. Her voice breaking towards the end on "not you" is so affecting.

Is there a Tori rate in the pipeline at any point? I'm starting to really enjoy them after the Madonna and Celine rates.

10. A Tori one was mentioned a while back, but I believe it was just the singles?

I'd love to host one, but I'm not sure there would be enough participants on here...

11. Hi all,

I really want to get into Tori a bit more. I have Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, From the Choirgirl Hotel, Scarlet's Walk and Unrepentant Geraldines, though I've barely listened to Choirgirl. Would any of you be able to recommend a starting point for that album, and perhaps a suggestion as to where next?

12. A Tori singles rate would be interesting, as unlike the Madonna rate for example, I don't see there being one single song that would be the obvious winner.

13. With Choirgirl, most of the more accessible songs are all right at the front of the album, so I'd just listen to it all the way through. If you like what you hear, To Venus and Back seems like the logical next step since they're similar in terms of sound.

Actually, if they're remastered I might get these. My copy of Little Earthquakes is a little too quiet.

14. I haven't listened to From the Choirgirl Hotel (or any of her albums as a whole) in a long time, but back when I did play it regularly, I thought the first 6 tracks (Spark to i i e e e) and tracks 10 and 11 (Hotel and Playboy Mommy) were the best. 'Hotel' was my favourite.

15. I think 'Winter' or 'Fairytale' would walk it.

16. So I've worked my way through nearly her entire discography now, and I think this would be my album ranking for now (I'm not including the festive album, Strange Little Girls and Gold Dust here):

Little Earthquakes
    Under The Pink
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    To Venus And Back
    Abnormally Attracted To Sin
    Scarlet's Walk
    Boys For Pele
    American Doll Posse
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    The Beekeeper
    Night Of Hunters

17. You should seek out the Helsinki bootleg from the Night Of Hunters tour, I think it'll help you click with the album. The ferocity of 'Shattering Sea' is incredible live.

18. I think my ranking would (currently, as it changes constantly) be:

Boys for Pele
    Little Earthquakes/Choirgirl
    Under the Pink/Venus
    Unrepentant Geraldines/Strange Little Girls
    Scarlet's Walk
    Abnormally Attracted to Sin
    American Doll Posse/The Beekeeper
    Gold Dust

I haven't touched Night of Hunters or Midwinter Graces yet, for some reason.

19. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

I'm beginning to worry that one day Boys for Pele will overtake Little Earthquakes as my favourite Tori album. As Earthquakes has been my favourite album by anyone for the last twenty years, this is a very odd thought.

That said:

Little Earthquakes
    Boys for Pele
    Scarlet's Walk
    Under the Pink
    From the Choirgirl Hotel
    American Doll Posse
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    To Venus and Back
    Midwinter Graces
    Strange Little Girls
    The Beekeeper
    Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Not entirely sure where Night of Hunters would fit. Above The Beekeeper, maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.