The Tori Amos thread | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

The Tori Amos thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ladygagaogaga, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I love a rank.

2. Boys For Pele

From The Choirgirl Hotel
    Little Earthquakes
    Under The Pink

Scarlets Walk
    To Venus And Back
    The Beekeeper
    Unrepentant Geraldines

Night Of Hunters
    Abnormally Attracted To Sin
    Gold Dust

Midwinter Graces
    Strange Little Girls
    American Doll Posse

3. Boys For Pele
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    Under The Pink / Little Earthquakes

To Venus And Back
    Scarlet's Walk
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    American Doll Posse

Night Of Hunters
    The Beekeeper
    Strange Little Girls

Midwinter Graces
    Gold Dust
    Abnormally Attracted To Sin.

4. Scarlet's Walk
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    To Venus And Back
    The Beekeeper
    Little Earthquakes
    Boys For Pele
    Unrepentant Geraldines
    Under The Pink
    Strange Little Girls
    American Doll Posse
    Midwinter Graces
    Night Of Hunters
    Abnormally Attracted To Sin

Gold Dust

Sitting through Gold Dust is a real chore and I find it offensive that she named her most horrible album after one of her best and most profound songs. That being said: I like or love all of her other albums. All in all, she's got a pretty strong catalogue.

5. The biggest issue with Gold Dust is the mastering. "Husband" removing any resemblance of Tori actually breathing between vocals is a huge part.

It's a real shame, as the tour was incredible.

6. Yes, the absence of breathing was the biggest issue. If I had to describe Gold Dust in one word it'd be "lifeless".
    Thank god we got the true Tori back on Unrepentant Geraldines.

7. A&E

A&E

Re: Tori singles rate, I'm hosting one starting end of February / early March.

This is a list I'll probably be going with but let me know if you'd like any additions/exclusions or if you have any comments regarding the versions included:

Y Kant Tori Read:
    1988 Cool on Your Island
    1988 The Big Picture

Little Earthquakes:
    1991 Me and a Gun
    1991 Silent All These Years
    1992 China
    1992 Winter
    1992 Crucify [SUB][SUP](Remix)[/SUP][/SUB]
    1992 Precious Things [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

Under the Pink:
    1994 Cornflake Girl
    1994 God
    1994 Pretty Good Year
    1994 Past the Mission

1994 Tom Jones feat. Tori Amos – I Wanna Get Back With You

Boys for Pele:
    1996 Caught a Lite Sneeze
    1996 Talula [SUB][SUP](The Tornado Mix)[/SUP][/SUB]
    1996 Hey Jupiter [SUB][SUP](The Dakota Version)[/SUP][/SUB]
    1996 Professional Widow (It's Got to Be Big) [SUB][SUP](Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix)[/SUP][/SUB] [should I include the original as well?]
    1996 In the Springtime of His Voodoo [should I include the Hasbrouck Heights mix and/or album version?]
    1997 Putting the Damage On [SUB][SUP](The Twilight Mix)[/SUP][/SUB] [technically not released as a single it was on a promo sampler, should I include it at all?]

1996 BT feat. Tori Amos – Blue Skies

from the choirgirl hotel:
    1998 Spark
    1998 Raspberry Swirl [SUB][SUP](Lip Gloss Version)[/SUP][/SUB]
    1998 Jackie's Strength
    1998 Cruel [SUB][SUP](Shady Feline Mix)[/SUP][/SUB]
    1998 Northern Lad [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

1998 Jackie's Strength [SUB][SUP](Wedding Cake Mix)[/SUP][/SUB] / Father Lucifer [SUB][SUP](Sylkscreen Remix)[/SUP][/SUB] [both? neither? only one of them?]

To Venus and Back:
    1999 Bliss
    1999 1000 Oceans
    1999 Glory of the 80's
    2000 Concertina [SUB][SUP](The Single Mix)[/SUP][/SUB]

Strange Little Girls:
    2001 Strange Little Girl

Scarlet's Walk:
    2002 A Sorta Fairytale [SUB][SUP](Single Version)[/SUP][/SUB]
    2003 Taxi Ride [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]
    2003 Don't Make Me Come to Vegas [SUB][SUP](Timo on Tori)[/SUP][/SUB] [I don't think the remix should be included, maybe the album version?]
    2003 Strange (Radio Version) [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

Tales of a Librarian:
    2003 Mary
    2003 Angels [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

The Beekeeper:
    2005 Sleeps With Butterflies [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]
    2005 Sweet the Sting [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]
    2005 Cars and Guitars [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

A Piano: The Collection:
    2006 Take Me With You

American Doll Posse:
    2007 Big Wheel
    2007 Bouncing Off Clouds [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]
    2007 Almost Rosey [SUP][SUB][promo][/SUB][/SUP]

Abnormally Attracted to Sin:
    2009 Welcome to England
    2009 500 Miles [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

Midwinter Graces:
    2009 A Silent Night With You
    2009 Star of Wonder [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]

Night of Hunters:
    2011 Carry [I couldn't find any info as to it being released even as a promo but it has a music video I guess]

Gold Dust:
    2012 Flavor [SUB][SUP](Club Mix)[/SUP][/SUB] [do I include the Club Edit and/or the album/video version?]

Unrepentant Geraldines:
    2014 Trouble's Lament
    2014 Promise [SUB][SUP][promo][/SUP][/SUB]
    [was Weatherman released as the 3rd single in the end?]

Excluded: Baltimore [1980], Little Drummer Boy (Live) [1992, rare promo CD], London Girls [1996 promo], I'm on Fire (Live) [1996 promo], Tori Amos vs. Andy Gray – Let's Do It Again [2000 promo]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  8. But the Birds are the best!

9. A&E

A&E

[video=youtube;5YeawJjXh9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeawJjXh9I[/video]

You'd be watching those Birds go [out first]!

10. Now that's a rate I'm looking forward too.

I think your list is pretty complete.

A few thoughts:

Professional Widow: the remix was the actual single/video, so I wouldn't include the orginal.
    In The Springtime Of His Voodoo: the LP version is the first track on the cd single, so I'd just use that one.
    Putting The Damage On (Twilight Mix): I'd leave it out. Too obscure.
    Jackie's Strength (Wedding Cake Mix): This one can stay. Father Lucifer (Sylkscreen Remix) is rather a b-side than an a-side, so I wouldn't include that one.
    Don't Make Me Come To Vegas: the album version isn't on the single, so I'd use the remix.
    Carry: wasn't a single per se, but it was definitely a promo song for Night Of Hunters. I'd leave that one in.
    Flavor: there are promos of the album version and other promos of the club mix. I'd go for the album version.
    Weatherman: I don't think that was a single.

I hope this helps you a little. ;)

11. 11s, all around!~

12. Ready to give '500 Miles' the 0.5 it deserves.

13. A&E

A&E

Thanks! I see what you mean with Springtime but the US Professional Widow single has the LP version as the first track too so if I include the LP version of Springtime, the same goes for Widow (of course Armand's remix will be in the rate anyway, seeing as it's Tori's biggest chart hit in most of Europe). As for Flavor, the digital commercial release only has the remixes so I might include both versions too.

I could also include the remixes (Springtime, Jackie's Strength, Vegas, Flavor) as optional so as not to force everyone to listen to those. I'd then include Baltimore and Let's Do It Again as optional too. (Anyway I'm biased as I really like the Springtime remix, unlike most of Tori's dance mixes.)

Weatherman, the Father Lucifer remix and Putting the Damage On remix will most likely not be included.

Yes, there were better choices for a single but it's not such a bad track, really. I think my lowest-rated one will be A Silent Night With You, but I can't say I hate any Tori single.

14. Thanks for the suggestion, I definitely will!

I'm really looking forward to the singles rate. Wasn't Maybe California a single too?

I think my lowest score will go to that awful Professional Widow remix. Can't stand it.

15. A&E

A&E

I think "Maybe California" was just a free download on Mother's Day.

As for the remasters, I want Boys for Pele to get a 3CD deluxe but it's not going to happen is it? There'll have to be major cuts for a 2CD, sadly. More wishful thinking: I'd love "Violet's Eyes" to get a proper release on a choirgirl deluxe.

16. The fact 'Violet's Eyes' became 'Miracle' makes me feel kinda sick. Don't get me wrong, I love 'Miracle' but really?!

If a deluxe version of Pele ever appears, I hope the track with Michael Stipe will finally be put on it.

17. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

Didn't they confirm that it had been lost?

I hope a theoretical Pele deluxe would include all the Pele-period tracks that didn't get released until later.

18. No. Quite recently Tori got asked by fans about it and she just said it's in the vault "somewhere"... but then again 'the vault' also has the Plugged tour DVD and the American Doll Posse tour DVD and the live bootlegs from 2011.

and her demo of 'Like A Virgin'.

19. I know it's probably never, ever going to happen since she doesn't like to record outside of Cornwall anymore, but I would love it if she did a follow-up to Strange Little Girls with Adrian Belew back on board. The production on that album is so interesting and unlike anything else she's released.

Plus, I just love her covers in general.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  20. invertedbutterfly

invertedbutterfly Moderator

Oh, well that's exciting then. I could have sworn all parties said at one point that the masters had disappeared, and I kind of assumed were it ever to turn up, Interscope would own it and refuse to license it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.