The Ultimate J-Pop Queens SHOWDOWN -A FINALE- | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate J-Pop Queens SHOWDOWN -A FINALE-

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by 3Xs, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 3Xs

3Xs

THE TIME HAS COME

THE SHOWDOWN OF YOUR LIVES IS HERE

[​IMG]

WE

HAVE

RATED

TEH

QUEENS

And found out which songs from each are the most popular. But we still don't know a few things. WHAT SCORES did the songs get? And more importantly - how do they all stack up against each other?

243 singles from the Queens of J-Pop are about to fight for their lives. They've already been judged by you, the faithful J-Pop fans of Popjustice, over the course of the last 12 months. Now all we need to do is sit back (preferably with a copy of the bible nearby) and count down the ULTIMATE results.

This list will be moving quickly. I'll probably be saying things like "iconic" and "legendary" a lot. We might get lost in a swath of Kuuchi's ballads along the way. And there will be heartbreaking results at almost every turn. But by the time December is dust we'll have ripped through this entire list. My gift to all of you this holiday season. Because it is, of course, the MOST magical time of the year...

[video=youtube;JhMEZL3ZA5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhMEZL3ZA5o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ON THE TWELFTH OF J-POP OSIRIS SENT TO ME...

12 MINI ALBUMS (FROMMM THE HALF OFF BIN)

11 SHITTY SONGS (ON THE SAME CD)

10 SHITTY SONGS (ON THE SAME CD)

9 PANTIE HOES

8 RAZOR SHAVERS

7 DIFFERENT INJECTIONS

6 MILLION STARVING CHILDREN

5 UNDISCOVERED STD's

4 FACIAL EXPRESSIONS

3 SHOTGUN WEDDINGS

2 CREEPY LESBOS

AND A FURRY IN A BEAR SUIT

[​IMG]

First results today! Get in losers!

---------------------------------------

Looking for a specific song? Check the index!
    Want to relive the finale event? Click here!
    Just want to see the final result? Click here!
    An Ayumi Hamasaki fan? Check out her rate here!
    A Koda Kumi fan? Check out her rate here!
    A Namie Amuro fan? Check out her rate here!
    An Utada Hikaru fan? Check out her rate here!

OR... scroll on from here to read the entire event spoiler-free from start to finish!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. OHMYGOD. *Death*

Come on Namie! Tear them to fucking shreds!

3. #phuckyoThisIsTheOneslating

4. 3Xs

3Xs

First few results coming in about 40 minutes!

5. 3Xs

3Xs

#UNAPOLOGETIK

6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

FINALLY.

7. Given Hikki's winning song, I guess I'm backing Kumi in this!

8. 3Xs

3Xs

I should also mention there will be a final score at the end for each Queen. One which averages the scores for each of their singles discographies.

So we're not just counting down songs, but will also be finding out which Queen you all truly like the best...

9. I'm not even sure who I want to win! At the very start of this I only liked Namie and Hikki, but now I'm fans of all of them...

10. 3Xs

3Xs

!!

That tends to happen. By the time I was done with the Ayu rate I was practically a stan, despite never liking her much before. Hopefully this rate will make more people fall in love again.

11. The Ultimate J-Pop Queen is Amuro Namie -THREAD CLOSED-

12. 3Xs

3Xs

Alright, time for the first result phresh out the oven.

[​IMG]

It works more or less the same as last time, except finally you will get to see the average scores for each song. Also, to spice up the descriptions from last time, I've added my own opinions for every song in the countdown.

SO.

Who has delivered the ULTIMATE turkey? Find out which song finished dead last below!

243. NOTHING FROM NOTHING by Ayumi Hamasaki
    Average score: 3.90 / Highest score: 10 (x1) / Lowest score: 0 (x1)

[​IMG]

"NOTHING FROM NOTHING" is the first single and mini-album by Ayumi Hamasaki, released on December 21, 1995 under Nippon Colombia. It was her first and only release on another label before she joined Avex in 1998. Unlike the style of music Hamasaki has perused in the years since joining Avex, "NOTHING FROM NOTHING" had a hip-hop sound, and even featured Ayumi rapping some lines. For this release Hamasaki worked with rapper DOHZI-T and producer DJ Bass, both of whom have found subsequent success in later years. "NOTHING FROM NOTHING" was written by Dohzi-T, though a song on the mini-album entitled "Limit" was written by Hamasaki, making it her earliest self-penned song.

The album and single were recorded during Hamasaki's so-called 'idol era', as part of her activities as a teen idol. During this time, Hamasaki also acted in movies and TV dramas, co-hosted a number of TV shows, did modeling and commercials, and also did several bikini photo shoots for magazines, as well has her own photobook and calendar. Like many idols, Hamasaki also recorded music. "NOTHING FROM NOTHING" was promoted in magazines in which Hamasaki appeared, and on one of her TV shows. However, the album did not perform well, selling dismally and charting very low on the charts. There is some discrepancy as to how the album and single performed on the Oricon, but the general consensus is that the single reached #198 (staying there for only one week) and the album either failed to chart or reached #200.

Hamasaki found little success as an idol, and after the failure of "NOTHING FROM NOTHING" she gave it up in favor of hanging out with friends and going to school. "NOTHING FROM NOTHING" is now out of print. Due to her subsequent success, it is generally considered a valuable collector's item.

[video=youtube;Rtf0EGxN74g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtf0EGxN74g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

THE 3X TEA: YES I GAVE IT A TEN. Rapyumi for the next album! I love this track, as I do love almost all formative tracks in the early years of the J-Pop Queens. Ayu here is just kickin it and having a good time, something which she should really learn to do again. There's an innocent appeal to this which will never not entice me. The haunting, distant vocal in the chorus is actually quite stunning, and the bratty girl raps show us a side of Ayumi we've never seen before (or since).

---------------------------------

Congrats Ayumi! You've served us the ultimate J-Pop turkey!

[​IMG]

More results up next!

Island likes this.
  13. Anyone surprised by that result?

14. 3Xs

3Xs

But is second to last really any better? I mean, you suck at even being the worst at something...

242. KAMEN feat. Ishii Tatsuya by Koda Kumi
    Average score 5.00 / Highest score - 8 (x1) / Lowest score - 2 (x1)

[​IMG]

"KAMEN" ("Mask", or alternately "disguise") is the 28th single by Koda Kumi, and the 10th in the "12 Singles Project" series of releases, released on February 8, 2006, and later included on her second best album BEST ~second session~ (2006). The song features singer-songwriter and Kome Kome Club frontman Ishii Tatsuya. As with the other 11 singles in this collection, the cover art represents a stylized version of a traditional dress from a culture; this time drawing inspiration from Hawaii and the garb of hula dancers.

"KAMEN" reached #3 on Oricon and charted for 6 weeks, selling 46,971 units in total. It was the #198 single for 2006 in Japan.

[video=youtube;7R780RYGyZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R780RYGyZg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

THE 3X TEA: My god, absolutely abysmal. And the PV? Ahhhhhhhh!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  15. 3Xs

3Xs

Our first appearance from God:

241. Hymne à l'amour (Ai no Anthem) by Utada Hikaru
    Average score: 5.00 / Highest Score: 10 (x1) / Lowest Score: 1 (x1)

[​IMG]

"Hymne à l'amour (Ai no Anthem)" (Hymne à l'amour ~愛のアンセム~, "Hymn to Love (Anthem of Love)") is a digital single released by Utada Hikaru in 2010 to promote her second best album Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2. The song is a cover of the 1950 original by French singer Édith Piaf. Utada's version features lyrics in both French and Japanese. The song was also used in a CM for Pepsi Nex, in which Hikaru herself starred.

[video=facebook;1977719734955]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1977719734955[/video]

THE 3X TEA: What else is there to say? It's a cover. Cute for a greatest hits and to put some Yen in the bank with a Pepsi deal before your so-called hiatus, but not all that exciting.

16. 3Xs

3Xs

SO, we've had appearances from 3 out of the 4 Queens already with their biggest turkeys. When will Namie show up? Stay tuned to find out! More results in a few hours... but I gotta step out for a little, so in the meantime you all can stew over what we have so far...

17. Har har har, "God". She pretty much is tho.

18. I gave God (shall we make this a thing?) a 10 for that one because I adore her voice so much and it's just such a pleasure to listen to on that particular track.

19. 3Xs

3Xs

Of course! It's only proper.

20. I just spat water everywhere!

And no This Is The One (And Only True God) & UnconTROLLED hate will be tolerated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.