The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#1!) | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#1!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by 3Xs, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *Top 20!*

I think it's gum, though knowing Kumi, who knows....

I actually don't like that cover at all. Why is she covered in a fur cap for such a hot n sexy single??

2. Rmx

Rmx

I know! It goes in the 'covers that don't match the song' category right next to this. Though I'll forgive that one because she looks fucking FLAWLESS oh lord I can't handle it in ultra HQ like that. *fans self*

Sorry back to Kuuch. I'm totally Team Taboo.

3. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *Top 20!*

I remember so many people thinking she was like stretching a condom on the Crazy 4 U cover. I personally love the cover, one of my favorites from her earlier singles, along with Love & Honey, Gentle Words and Chase !

Oh and Hot Stuff eliminated... I don't even remember how I rated it but I'm sad to see it's gone. PV was so hot.

4. 3Xs

3Xs

Sorry for the lack of results these last 2 days guys! I'm almost always closely on top of my rates but it's been a busy week for me. I should have some more results up either later tonight or by tomorrow afternoon for sure.

5. 3Xs

3Xs

Okay, back to results. At this point it's only legendary songs.

18. Ima Sugu Hoshii
    Highest score - 10 (x4) / Lowest score - 4 (x1)

[​IMG]

"Ima Sugu Hoshii" (今すぐ欲しい; "I Want It Now", or alternately "I Want You Now") is the 27th single by Koda Kumi, released on February 1, 2006. It was the 9th in the "12 Singles" series of releases, and was later included on Koda's second best album BEST ~second session~. As with the other 11 singles in this collection, the cover represents a stylized version of a dress from a culture; this time taking inspiration from France.

"Ima Sugu Hoshii" is a remake of the hit 1997 song of the same name by Japanese hip-hop group SUGAR SOUL. The song's lyrics are very explicit in an erotic way ("I want it right now / Make me throb with your hot tongue, your burning love / Light my fire, let me feel your flames on my body / ’till the end of the night"). Much of Koda's version is true to the original rendition, although the rap break she performs in the latter half of the song differs slightly. Sale of this single was actually banned in South Korea, due to the explicit nature of the lyrics.

Like the song itself, the PV is also very sexual; Kumi is shown wearing lingerie and writhing on the floor and on a wall. She is also shown sitting on a throne, watching various shirtless men dance and perform other acts, prompting one of Kumi's servants to cover her eyes, although Kumi pushes the hand away and continues watching. Two men are seen in sexual positions and kissing, something which was rarely if ever seen in J-Pop music videos at the time, and even now is still considered extremely taboo in Japanese culture.

"Ima Sugu Hoshii" debuted at #5 on the Oricon and charted for 7 weeks, selling a total of 47,411 copies out of a limited 50,000 pressing.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

Another legend falls.........

17. Selfish
    Highest score - 10 (x3) / Lowest score - 4 (x1 basic person)

[​IMG]

"Selfish" is a song by Koda Kumi, included on the DVD "girls ~Selfish~", released on November 11, 2004. It was one of 3 new songs included on the DVD that would later appear on Koda's 4th studio album secret (2005), released a few months later. "Selfish" is a pumping rock track about gaining one's independence ("I just want to get away / Somewhere far away / Set me free I can't move / It can't be worse than things are now / I want to be free again like I once was / Selfish!!")

The PV for "Selfish" is one of Kumi's most stylized, and depicts Kumi as part of a band of stripper women who find their way into a haunted mansion. Kumi is shown entering the palace wearing a see-through mesh top with a bra underneath, and assless chaps with a leopard print bikini bottom. She is also seen in a more elaborate black feather outfit, with two black tape "X" marks over her breasts. In these scenes her make-up and nails are done up extravagantly.

The choreography in this PV is some of the most intense seen in any Koda Kumi video, including being lifted up by a group of male backup dancers and a front flip into the camera. During the song's guitar break she is shown having sex with / fighting some of her backup dancers at the same time. During the later half of the PV both male and female dancers are shown dancing along Kumi in a room illuminated with flashes of lightening. Kumi is also seen dancing in various scenes with a leather whip in hand.

As "girls ~Selfish~" was released as a DVD, not a proper single, it was not elidgible to chart on the Oricon, though it did sell over 33,000 copies in 2004.

7. Rmx

Rmx

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *18 / 17*

Aww, Selfish is one of my favourite songs I discovered thanks to this rate. Sad!

8. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *18 / 17*

I thought Ima Sugu Hoshii would make the Top 10! Another 9 gone, but the Top 20 looks great so far! I never knew it was a cover either!

One 9 left!

mi|kshake~

9. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *18 / 17*

You need to tell us who gave Ima Sugu Hoshii a 4 so we can take care of him/her...

10. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *18 / 17*

WHO GAVE THOSE 4s? NAMES?!

Such iconic songs. Both should be in Top 10!

11. 3Xs

3Xs

Ima Sugu Hoshii easily should have been top 10. Defintiely one of her best songs and probably her sexiest only after JUICY (and maybe KO-SO-KO-SO).

12. 3Xs

3Xs

Mkay why aren't there more people recognizing how amazing Kuu's rap break in Ima Sugu Hoshii is? *shakes head*

13. Rmx

Rmx

To be honest I can't even remember that song from the rate...

14. 3Xs

3Xs

WELL U SHOULD LISTEN AGAIN. *hmph*

15. Rmx

Rmx

Oh yeah I recognize it now. That's one of the few songs on BEST ~Second Session~ I always skip. But then again, my faves on that album are You and No Regret, which I believe have both been eliminated so yeah. JUDGING EVERYONE.

16. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *16 / 15*

While we work on Rmx's taste of second session tracks, here's another eliminated song...

16. Candy feat. Mr.Blistah
    Highest score - 10 (x3) / Lowest score - 4 (x1)

[​IMG]

"Candy" is the 25th single by Koda Kumi, released on January 18, 2006 as the 7th single in the "12 Singles Project". As with the other 11 singles in this collection, the cover art represents a stylized version of a dress from a culture; this time drawing inspiration from the Caribbean. "Candy" is a collaboration with rapper Mr.Blistah, whom Koda would later again work with on the track "So Nice" for her 2012 album JAPONESQUE. "Candy" is a hip-hop infused pop song with middle eastern style production.

The PV depicts Kumi as "Princess Kumi", who lives in the "Kingdom of the Clouds". Kumi is shown sitting on her throne with a large digitally rendered dragon behind her, while "Prince Blistah" is shown in another room with female dancers writhing on the floor in front of him. In another set-up, Kumi is wearing a revealing red outfit and performing a belly-dancing routine; the first time she included such choreography in one of her videos.

"Candy" was given a limited pressing of 50,000 copies, and in 2006 sold 47,856 of that total. The single reached #3 on the Oricon and charted for 7 weeks in all.

17. 3Xs

3Xs

15. Love Me Back
    Highest score - 10 (x4) / Lowest score - 5 (x1)

[​IMG]

"Love Me Back" is the 52nd single by Koda Kumi, released on November 19, 2011. It was the 3rd and final single from Koda's tenth studio album JAPONESQUE (2012). "Love Me Back" is a slinky guitar-laden pop number with cheeky sex lyrics; in the song she 'traps' her prey until they give into her. ("Oh, oh, don't go / Oh, legs are wide open / Oh, my give me… love for me / You've been cornered, it's not over yet / My body check will go high and low"). The song is memorable for it's repeated hook "Diamonds, and sapphires, and you, oh my!" at the end of each chorus.

The PV for "Love Me Back" depicts Kumi as the head of a police squad (dressed only as Koda Kumi can), along with two other officers played by her backup dancers. In the beginning of the video the trio hears of a mob arrest over the TV screen, prompting Kumi to rip off her clothes and hop in the police cruiser. Racing about town she crashes into an unidentified man who looks similar to the person arrested on the TV screen earlier. The trio proceed to take him into custody, though not before Kumi pussy pops all over him and the police car.

The next scenes take place in a prison and in an interrogation room, where Kumi and her backup dancers perform a sexy routine on a table and in front of a jail cell full of horny male prisoners. After this, Kumi enters an elevator and returns as a sexy nurse, who sneaks into rescue the mob leader shown on the TV screen earlier, and who actually turns out to be Kumi's lover. Using the man they arrested earlier as a decoy, Kumi and her boyfriend escape the prison, speeding off in an ambulance they no doubt hijacked from the hospital.

"Love Me Back" was moderately successful on the charts. Reaching #6 on the Oricon and charting for 6 weeks, selling a total of 43,290 copies to date.

18. Rmx

Rmx

Not too bothered. Love Me Back is great, but it's not her best. 15 is a good ranking for it!

19. 3Xs

3Xs

Well it's certainly no Ima Sugu Hoshii...... hehe.

I love love love the video for Love Me Back.

20. Rmx

Rmx

Haha. Your anger is a balloon, let it go!

Nah just kidding, we'll all live in peace and harmony once TABOO wins this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.