The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#1!) | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#1!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by 3Xs, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *14 / 13*

I can't believe we are already on the edge of the top 10. Everyone has done so well, only a few songs I like have left since the beginning.

I love In The Air it's brilliant.

2. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *14 / 13*

Now ever since Shake It being eliminated I've been running around the house yelling DING DONG BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like a mad bitch.

3. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *12 / 11*

Today.................

2 songs..............

will just miss the top 10..............

will it be your fave?

!!!~~~stay tuned~~~!!!

4. 3Xs

3Xs

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

12. real Emotion
    Highest score - 10 (x5 exceptional people with taste) / Lowest score - 4 (x1)

[​IMG]

"real Emotion" is the breakthrough single by Koda Kumi, released on March 5, 2003 as part of the double A-side "real Emotion / 1000 no Kotoba". It was Kumi's 7th single overall and the 3rd and final from her second studio album grow into one. Both "real Emotion" and "1000 no Kotoba" are famous for their appearance in the popular video game Final Fantasy X-2. While the slowly-paced ballad "1000 no Kotoba" served as the game's ending theme, "real Emotion" was used as the game's main / opening theme.

"real Emotion" is a sassy J-Pop style disco tune and a coming of age tale of sorts ("The feeling of swaying in the real world / I don't want to lose / The only thing I can hear from my heart is to run / You are not alone"). In the song Kumi is talking to a person who the listener can assume is a mentor / parent figure of some sort, telling them that she has to strike out alone and rely on her own strength ("I won't turn back, I won't rely on you / Because if something happens, you'll always come to me quickly... The feeling of swaying in the real world / Holds me up / You taught me everything I know / This is me now / I am not alone"). The song is also noted for its repeated "What can I do for you?" hook after each chorus and during the middle 8; the answer each time is a resounding "I can hear you!"

An English version of "real Emotion" sung by Jade Villalon of Sweetbox was used for all international releases of the game. Koda also recorded her own English version of the song (albeit with slightly altered lyrics from Villalon's rendition), which was later included as a b-side on her single "COME WITH ME".

The PV for "real Emotion" uses motion capture to record Kumi in a digital environment. It is in essence a simple performance video; Kumi is shown singing and dancing in two different set-ups with scenes from the game play at various points throughout. The characters from Final Fantasy X-2 are shown singing and dancing on stage in time with Kumi.

"real Emotion / 1000 no Kotoba" was extremely successful, becoming Koda's first hit and peaking at #3 on the Oricon; her highest charting single at the time and her first Top 10. The single sold 283,000 copies in total, far surpassing any of her previous efforts up to that point. To date it is still Koda's second-highest selling single ever in terms of physical sales, only following 2006's "4 hot wave".

5. Rmx

Rmx

Hahahaha this suits my thoughts so well right now! NOOOOOOOO not Real Emotion!!

Why thank you.

6. 3Xs

3Xs

You made it far, rest easy now...

11. D.D.D. feat. SOULHEAD
    Highest score - 10 (x4) / Lowest score - 4 (x1)

[​IMG]

"D.D.D." is 21st single by Koda Kumi, released on December 21, 2005. It was the 3rd single in the "12 Singles Project" series of releases, later included on the 2006 best-of BEST ~second session~. As with the other 11 singles in this collection, the cover art represents a stylized version of a dress from a culture; this time taking inspiration from the United Kingdom and the symbolic figure Britannia.

"D.D.D." features Japanese R&B duo SOULHEAD, and their producer OCTOPUSSY. SOULHEAD wrote the lyrics while OCTOPUSSY made the musical arrangement. The song was touted as "Girl's Anthem from 3 Diamonds", hence the title "D.D.D."; an abbreviation for "Diamond Diamond Diamond". The song is an uptempo R&B-influenced girl power anthem, sampling Missy Elliott and Rockwilder's production of "Lady Marmalade", using the same 4-bar rhythm, although the blend of synths and guitars differentiates the two songs. A variation of "D.D.D." called "XXX" is credited to SOULHEAD featuring Kumi Koda and appears on the duo's 2006 album NAKED.

The PV for "D.D.D." takes place in a sex dungeon and shows the 3 ladies performing in front of cages of chained men wearing leather outfits and fittings. Kumi is shown in a separate sex room performing by herself, wearing pink and black lingerie. SOULHEAD also have their own separate rooms, where they are seen with whips in hand taunting men chained to a wall and a chair. During the song's rap break Kumi performs seductive dance choreography with a top hat and black cane.

"D.D.D" was only given a limited pressing of 50,000 copies, of which 48,036 sold in 2006. It peaked at #5 on the Oricon and charted for 5 weeks total.

7. 3Xs

3Xs

SO, with these latest eliminations, this is our top 10. In abc order...

BUT
    Cherry Girl
    ECSTASY
    Get it on
    JUICY
    KO-SO-KO-SO
    Lollipop
    Physical thing
    TABOO
    V.I.P.

ELIMINATED SONGS

11. D.D.D. feat. SOULHEAD
    12. real Emotion
    13. SHAKE IT
    14. IN THE AIR
    15. Love Me Back
    16. Candy feat. Mr.Blistah
    17. Selfish
    18. Ima Sugu Hoshii
    19. Crazy 4 U
    20. FREAKY
    21. POP DIVA
    22. Cutie Honey
    23. Poppin’love cocktail feat.TEEDA
    24. LAST ANGEL feat. Tohoshinki
    25. Hot Stuff feat. KM-MARKIT
    26. Anata Dake ga
    27. No Regret
    28. love across the ocean
    29. I'll be there
    30. 1000 no Kotoba
    31. Someday
    32. Shake It Up
    33. Chase
    34. TAKE BACK
    35. Aishou
    36. With your smile
    37. Lick me ♥
    38. Gentle Words
    39. m•a•z•e
    40. Ningyo-hime
    41. Inside Fishbowl
    42. Trust Your Love
    43. Run For Your Life
    44. It's all Love! (with misono)
    45. Yume no Uta
    46. you
    47. Butterfly
    48. WIND
    49. Lies
    50. Boys♡Girls
    51. Hashire!
    52. feel
    53. So Into You
    54. COME WITH ME
    55. Ai no Uta
    56. stay with me
    57. Suki de, Suki de, Suki de.
    58. Outside Fishbowl
    59. flower
    60. Koi no Tsubomi
    61. Alive
    62. 24
    63. Star
    64. hands
    65. COLOR OF SOUL
    66. Futari de...
    67. Can We Go Back
    68. anytime
    69. Promise
    70. Unmei
    71. Birthday Eve
    72. Kiseki
    73. Ai wo Tomenaide
    74. Moon Crying
    75. That Ain't Cool feat. Fergie
    76. KAMEN feat. Ishii Tatuya

8. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *12 / 11*

That's pretty much flawless Top 10 right there!

9. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *12 / 11*

Those two songs were the perfect ones to go.

10. Rmx

Rmx

I would actually love it if KO-SO-KO-SO won. It might have actually grown into my favourite and most-played Kumi song. It's just so lush! So effortlessly sexy and catchy. I love it!

11. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *12 / 11*

BUT for the win! Please please please.

12. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *12 / 11*

I'm a bit mad Candy and Shake It were eliminated before Real Emotion but the top 10 is looking pretty great!

13. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi *#10*

Buri buri........

10. Lollipop
    Highest score - 10 (x6) / Lowest score - 6 (x2)

[​IMG]

"Lollipop" is the 47th single by Koda Kumi, released on July 7, 2010 as part of the triple A-side single "Gossip Candy". It was the first single in advance of Koda's 9th studio album Dejavu (2011). "Lollipop" is track #1 on the single, and was the main song used to promote the release. Described as an "upbeat summer song", "Lollipop" is a girl power anthem in which Kumi speaks specifically to all the ladies.

"Hey lady,
    Don't be fooled by sweet words
    In the end guys are only talk

Hey ladies,
    I won’t let a useless guy
    touch my body,
    don’t touch me!"

Going along with the summer feel of the song, the PV for "Lollipop" takes place at a beach party. Kumi is shown at the beginning of the video riding in on horse wearing a cowboy hat. She gets off to join her friends (backup dancers) on a red carpet at the beach, where the first verse is sung and dance choreography is performed. In the next scenes Kumi is shown licking a green lollipop, sitting glamorously in a lounge chair on the beach, surrounded by her girlfriends and two servant men fanning her. The final portion of the PV takes place at night; Kumi is shown performing a sexy dance routine in a steaming hot indoor area, and outside at the beach with tiki torches glowing in the wind.

The single "Gossip Candy" reached #4 on the Oricon and charted for 10 weeks, selling a total of 84,358 copies. "Lollipop" specifically was a digital success, reaching Gold certification for digital downloads, denoting sales of over 100,000 copies.

14. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#10)

Two 6s?! My poor Lollipop! I was really hoping it would make the top 5...

15. 3Xs

3Xs

Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#10)

Really? I'm actually a bit surprised it got this far!

16. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#10)

Why? Because it's too rnb sounding?

17. 3Xs

3Xs

No not that. I just didn't think it would be popular enough to make top 10! haha.

18. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#10)

It should've been higher! It's #iconic classic! It's better than Get it on.

19. Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part III: Koda Kumi (#10)

Definitely. Here are the songs in the top 10 that Lollipop is better than: BUT, Cherry Girl, Get it On, ECSTACY, and JUICY.

20. 3Xs

3Xs

...................................................................................... no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.