The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part IV: Namie Amuro (#1)

...Sorry to keep you all waiting.

But the J-Pop Queens Singles rate is back! We've already finished rates for Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki and Koda Kumi. For our 4th installment we'll be rating none other than....

namie1bannerfinal.png

... the legendary Namie Amuro!

Born September 20, 1977, Namie Amuro (安室奈美恵, Amuro Namie) is a Japanese pop and R&B singer, entertainer, and former actress / idol, hailing from Okinawa. Referred to as "The Queen of J-Pop", and during the 1990's, "Teen Queen", Amuro is one of the most enduring figures in Japanese music, having had multiple career peaks. During the 1990's, Amuro was the highest-selling, most popular female artist of the era. Debuting as part of the idol group SUPER MONKEY'S, and later breaking out as a solo act under the guidance of super-producer Tetsuya Komuro, Amuro's hits defined the sound of the decade, reinventing traditional J-Pop with a signature mix of dance music, eurobeat, rock, and soul. Her 1996 album SWEET 19 BLUES was, for a brief time, the best selling album in Japanese music history, while her 1997 single "CAN YOU CELEBRATE?" is still the highest selling single by a female act of all time in Japan.

At the height of her popularity, 21 year old Amuro shocked the public by announcing she was pregnant and would be getting married, putting her career on hold in 1998. In 1999, Amuro's mother was brutally murdered by her brother-in-law, putting her career on hold again, and by 2000, her marriage to dancer Masaharu Maruyama was over. Her popularity reeling from these events, and subsequent to the rise of Ayumi Hamasaki and Utada Hikaru (soloists who wrote and composed their own music vs idol Amuro), Namie cut ties with Komuro in 2001, and would re-invent herself in the new millennium as an R&B and hip-hop singer, becoming an integral part of the genre's rise to widespread popularity in Japan during the 2000's. As a member of the musical collective SUITE CHIC, Amuro was one of the first mainstream J-Pop artists to incorporate the style into her music, later fully realized on her albums Style (2003) and Queen of Hip-Pop (2005), which blended elements of pop, R&B and hip-hop.

Since reinventing herself, Amuro has achieved newfound interest. Her seventh studio album, Play (2007) debuted at the top of the charts and was followed by "60s70s80s" (2008), her first #1 single in 10 years. Her 2008 greatest hits BEST FICTION was an immense success that defied predictions, selling close to 2 million copies and staying at #1 for 6 weeks. Her 2008-2009 concert tour played to over 500,000 people in 3 countries, breaking the attendance record for a female Japanese singer, and is still to date one of the largest tours ever by an Asian artist.

Now celebrating 20 years in the music industry, Amuro has successfully navigated the murky waters of J-Pop and reinvented herself countless times for two decades; her career longevity breaking Japanese social patterns that go beyond music. She continues to successfully combat social stigma as a divorced, working, single mother in Japan, has endured a messy divorce with her celebrity husband, survived family tragedy, and has repeatedly defied the odds of a J-Pop idol by taking control of her own sound and image. Today, Amuro is one of the few remaining popular female solo artists in Japan, and is still consistently producing hits and selling multi-platinum albums. She is among the best-selling Japanese artists of all time, with 9 #1 albums, 12 #1 singles, and more than 32 million records sold.

HOW THIS WORKS

Below is a list of all the songs in the game. Rate each song from 0 - 10, with 0 being absolutely the lowest score and 10 being absolutely the highest. Half-scores (7.5, 8.5, etc) are also allowed. SUBMIT YOUR VOTES TO ME VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE; DO NOT POST THEM IN THIS THREAD. You'll also notice every song is hyperlinked to video or audio, so please take advantage of this before you rate each song. Voting will be open for the next 3 weeks, after which point all scores will be combined and averaged. The song with the highest average score will be declared the winner. Simple enough? Have at it!

SCORES WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH WEDNESDAY, JULY 4 AT 6 PM US EST, 11 PM BRITISH GMT (UTC 23:00).

Last edited:
Re: The ULTIMATE J-Pop Queens Singles Rate, Part IV: Namie Amuro

Taiyou no SEASON
Stop the music
Body Feels EXIT
Chace the Chance
Don't wanna cry
You're my sunshine
SWEET 19 BLUES
a walk in the park
CAN YOU CELEBRATE?
How to be a Girl

Dreaming I was dreaming
I HAVE NEVER SEEN
RESPECT the POWER OF LOVE
toi et moi
SOMETHING 'BOUT THE KISS
LOVE 2000
NEVER END
PLEASE SMILE AGAIN
think of me
no more tears

Say the word
I WILL
Wishing On The Same Star
shine more
Put 'Em Up
SO CRAZY
Come
ALARM
ALL FOR YOU
GIRL TALK

the SPEED STAR
WANT ME, WANT ME
White Light
Violet Sauce
CAN'T SLEEP, CAN'T EAT, I'M SICK
Ningyo
Baby Don't Cry
FUNKY TOWN
NEW LOOK
ROCK STEADY
WHAT A FEELING

WILD
Dr.
Break It
Get Myself Back
Wonder Woman (feat. Ai and Anna Tsuchiya)
make it happen (feat. After School)
NAKED
Fight Together

Tempest
Sit! Stay! Wait! Down!
Love Story
Arigatou
Go Round
YEAH-OH

IF ANY OF THE LINKS GO DOWN, PLEASE ALERT ME SO I CAN REPLACE THEM. IF YOU'RE HAVING ANY TROUBLE PLAYING THE LINKS, ALSO LET ME KNOW. Also also - sorry the I HAVE NEVER SEEN video is in the back ass crack of the internet, scroll down or click to remove the ad if you can't see the PV, couldn't find a better link, though the quality of the video itself is actually at least good.

P.S. - The easiest way to do this is to copy + paste the above list into the body of a PM with your scores next to each song.

Last edited:
He / Him

YASSS! Really excited about this one and I near enough know all the songs this time around. I think it's safe to say there will be 10s flying left right and centre from me!

I find the original version better myself but that's probably because I heard that one first. But you are right, they are not that different...

Why such a blah mood Osiris? I thought you'd be more excited for your Queen's singles rate??

Will have to take my time on this one as other than Body Feels EXIT it's only from LOVE 2000 onwards I'm properly familiar with.

Someone else taking part in my Floppy Amuro singles rate!! *weeps*

Take your time Wes!

I sent you mine... It's hard being a stan!

I can NOT celebrate hahaha

Rmx

He/Him/His

3Xs, don't be maddd but this is going to take me a long-ass time! I don't even know 2/3 of those songs so as usual, expect my results half an hour before the deadline :D but I'm way excited, I might start tonight already!

Last edited:

I've actually never heard Taiyou No Season or Stop The Music *gasp*. I sort of forget they exist!

Will hopefully get on it this weekend - there's at least one song that's getting a definate 10!

I'll be sad when all these single rates are over! We need more Queens to rate!

mi|kshake~

I'll start this soon, I hope we have a lot of participants. This move to the new forum killed off a lot of our old J-Pop friends.

Finally one I can join in on

I LOVE TO DANCE YAH EVERYBODY CALL ME DANCING QUEHN.

*rolls up sleeves*

I know about three of those singles but I'm gonna do this! Determined to get into a Queen.

Yay! Lots more people participating. Was worried for a second... Thanks for your scores already Osiris. Early as always!

The rest of you all have 3 weeks so hopefully that's enough time.

I'll be in too. I lost the ability to post and PM for a long time after the forum move - I was worried I wouldn't be back before this started!

Most of these I could do off the top of my head but there are a few older ones I didn't care for that I should re-evaluate first.

MarkB!! I was wondering where you had been recently. You're one of the biggest Amuro fans on here - it would've be a shame to do this without you!

Aw thanks. I've been here all the time, I just couldn't say anything and by the time I could I'd gotten out of the habbit of posting. I think this is my fourth post since the change.

Oh god, there are gonna be so many tens, possibly more than the other three rates put together. I'll have to try to remember I can give 9.5s...

Last edited:

Hehehe. Nothing wrong with that... Her singles run is rather spectacular. Only ones which deserve less than like, a 7,

toi et moi
SOMETHING 'BOUT THE KISS
LOVE 2000
White Light
Sit! Stay! Wait! Down!

And even those aren't unlistenable. Well except toi et moi. Only Namie single I straight up don't like. Way to soil an otherwise flawless collection of 90's singles Namie.