The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Excellent choice of Susannah Hoffs - I entered "unconditional love" from her debut album to the PJOPS early on, she has such a beautiful voice.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I knew my 38 would pick up another vote with @tylerc904 voting!

Mvnl likes this.
  3. iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.

4. This, basically. You can see how affected they are by it around the 5:28 mark.

Their split was a bit unclear. There were rumors flying around that there were discussions about them potentially being dropped, but the label were giving the girls the chance to save face and go out properly, on their own and sort of make a big "event" out of it, instead of being merely dropped. There were other rumors that basically said the label intended to keep them, but instead put them under a hiatus for 2 years, as the label was trying to make another girlgroup happen.

iheartpoptarts, DJHazey and Mvnl like this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Couldn't they have just looked for another label if they wanted to continue?
    I guess contracts and such aren't as easy as they seem in my head. Just seems so harsh it ended this way if all 3 were still into the band.

Though with the way they're sitting, Mandy comforting the others and being the one to release a solo album first I wonder if she just didn't want to go solo?

6. They were admittedly on a declining trajectory, though. Their last album didn't sell that much, and 'Breathe You In' was honestly a major flop considering the amount of promo it had. I suppose they knew it was better to end it now than to let it decline any further. They had a very good legacy in Germany and I guess they didn't want to ruin it.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Senna actually had a deal first out of all of them? I seem to remember because insiders were saying she was actually working with some huge German producers/rappers apparently. Although I don't know what happened with that deal? Mandy was the first to release a solo album, but I'm pretty sure she actually took the longest to get moving, so I'm not entirely sure about what you're suggesting. Bahar went the Indie route and, I believe, released some stuff before the other two (it was shit, though).

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I didn't follow them too much apart from getting their albums and Mandy's (very solid) solo album. She seems slightly less affected and her being on another seat doesn't help, but unless you were there it's of course all just speculation. It's just with the others stating 'it wasn't fights nor sales' that makes me wonder what did go on. But oh well, they had a good run.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's insane how Susanna Hoff's voice takes me back in time when it's pretty much entirely based on Eternal Flame.

Lost In Japan., funkyg and londonrain like this.
  9. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Surprised to see Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy here - aren't they a songwriting trio rather than a popstar or band? For Bollywood film soundtracks I understand the composers can often be just as recognisable than the singers, but it's a bit like nominating The Clutch or Stargate as your favourite popstar.

This girlband bop (from Viva, the winners of Popstars season 1 in India) is probably my favourite thing they've written:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Mvnl likes this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Despite the 'popstar' in the title of the thread a lot of people have (rightfully) taken it as 'favourite acts/artists'.
    I'm guessing it would be a bit like voting for Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmer?
    Though the video/song picked seems to be release under their name.
    Either way, I kinda love the diversity here.

londonrain and funkyg like this.
  11. I like a few of their compositions majority of them being from Shah Rukh Khan films. I believe the singer on that song is Sonu Nigam.

This is my favourite composition by them most people will recognise it from Slumdog Millionaire.

londonrain likes this.
  12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

That's probably a good comparison, so I see what you mean.

With Bollywood a song is often identified just by the film name and song title in the way that you'd get the artist and song title for any other genre.

The song picked (Kal Ho Naa Ho) is actually sung by Sonu Nigam, who is quite a well-known popstar in his own right. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy is the team who wrote the music (the lyrics were written by the poet and lyricist Javed Akhtar).

Mvnl likes this.
  13. I can't wait to see what it is!

Oh, and let me post my fave Monrose rate discovery for the world, because I'd never heard of it before then and I love it so much.

Vixen and DJHazey like this.
  14. Island

Island Staff Member

Aww Holly Valance was me!

15. Clare Maguire was me!

Here's a nice upbeat remix of the song I submitted for her:

constantino, 2014, londonrain and 2 others like this.
  16. Elizabeth Taylor is one of the best songs of 2016 tibb.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and Island like this.
  17. Susannah Hoffs was my vote. Although I also have a vote for the Bangles, I believe Susannah has earned a solo vote since she has 3 solo albums and 4 albums with Matthew Sweet.
    Enjoyed her version of "Unconditional Love" as well, though some credit has to go to Cyndi Lauper, the original singer and one of the song's writers.

Andsov and Filippa like this.
  18. Susanna Hoffs sure has earned any vote! I should have put her on my list too!!!

I really liked her album Someday from 2012!

funkyg likes this.
  19. Awww I've always liked Fefe, I should get her albums.

Eternal Summers was one of the best discoveries from this thing, I ended up buying all their albums (6 I believe?) on vinyl.

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The impact!
    I'm sure @ModeRed will be thrilled.

ModeRed likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.