The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Oh, Jacques Brel and Groove Armada! If I'd had ten more spots, they probably would have made my list.

2. Time to play catch-up... (Though #881 Part 2 is blocked for me everywhere, so I might be missing something!)

-I think I need to revisit Pop! I used to bop to them, like, two iPods ago.

-'I Touch Myself' is never not a karaoke moment.

-Remind me to look into Lonnie Gordon. This is amazingness and so was her PJOPS song.

-Amy Studt had some fun ones... 'Under the Thumb' was always my fave!

londonrain likes this.
  3. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Aww Selena only got 1 vote. Such an incredible talent!

Petty Mayonnaise and DJHazey like this.
  4. Island

Island Staff Member

Who voted for Queen Amy Studt!?

5. I'm sure I claimed ownership for the Gaggle vote in the original false-start thread already, but while they've come up again, I'd like to link to their new single 'Future'. And by "new single" I mean "released in 2015 but I just discovered it exists a couple of days ago". Apparently it was written with the 2015 UK election in mind, so, still relevant in 2017 I guess?

I love it. Not sure those verses are going to win over anyone a bit skeptical of experimental punk choirs as a niche, but the chorus is a surprise pop rush. And nobody has noticed. YouTube view count isn't even in 4 figures. It has 15 listeners on Last.fm. I don't mean, like, now, currently listening. I mean in total, of all time. 15. A combined play count of 39 between them, about half of which must be mine. This isn't just obscure, I might genuinely be the first person in history to enjoy it.

londonrain, Mvnl and marie_05 like this.
  6. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I looooooove that Groove Armada song!

7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Also the 2nd video in this post says content rejected for me, just to let you know x

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

What country are you in? The acts that get videos blocked seem completely random.
    Anyway, here's a 3rd shot!

Zar-Unity and iheartpoptarts like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's it for the #36s!

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Also, we're now halfway to the point where this countdown died the first time around.
    Hope the repeats aren't boring too many (I did notice there were a whole lot more people responding last time around!) but at this pace we should be getting to the 'all new' reveals pretty soon!

constantino, Aester, marie_05 and 4 others like this.
  11. Whoever voted for UB40 is a king!

Both my 36 and 37 went through? Amazing. That gives me high hopes for my #35 to make it through too!

Mvnl likes this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah, you only lost Kat Deluna and Gary Clark Jr thusfar.
    I'd say your #36/37 are both quite mainstream but not extremely pop. We'll see how much further they'll get!

Sprockrooster likes this.
  13. Not seeing anyone going anytime soon as they all seem a bit more mainstream than my 36 and 37 (and 39 too). Actually looking at my list now I am not surprised if nothing leaves from me as a sole vote from me. But there probably will be some, but no clue which one. YES AT ME BEING MAINSTREAM.

14. Yas at 9 Muses. I love that even flop K-Pop girl groups are in the someone's ultimate list. It was probably @vikeyeol #36.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That looks and sounds rather good for a flop girl group actually!

16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

That song sounds quite fun!

Speaking of flop girl groups, which legend had the good sense to nominate 3LW? Playas Gon' Play is still such a bop. I was quite disappointed when it got slaughtered in @DJHazey's flop girl group rate.

I Do (Wanna Get Close To You) continues to be amazing as well.

17. They have a great single run and a decent discography but poor girls never got the chance from South Korea. And actually their name is a mess like Fifth Harmony's. The group has only 5 members now but their name is still Nine Muses.

Mvnl and londonrain like this.
  18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Also, I'm sad (but not surprised at all) to see that three of my bottom four picks have gone, with Deborah Cox joining Jennifer Hudson and Alexandra Burke on the scrap heap of Amazing R&B Vocalists That Nobody Else Voted For.

In addition to the excellent Easy As Life dance remix that I nominated (excellent video editing, @Mvnl!), here's the best of Deborah's R&B catalogue:

Also, to whoever voted for Sarah McLachlan: I had to double-check my own list to make sure I hadn't voted for her. Sarah is amazing (and Adia is my favourite too!) but I think #R&Bjustice prevailed when it came down to a top 40. She did come very close to making my list, though.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  19. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

You'd think groups would have learned not to do this by now.

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Ha, thanks! I actually felt a bit sorry for her having to use something that looked like a parking lot/shopping centre performance for this rather epic track.

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.