The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. I vaguely remember Sam leaving around the same time as Bruno Mars, but I could be wrong.

Poor Nadine is not even going to be the highest Irish act with Ronan still in the running!

Hang on...HAIM are already out?! I thought they'd do a little better.

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

But did they beat their band members or are they the once being beaten...?

3. Awww that was my discovery of Saint Saviour and Propaganda!

NADINE
    Haim
    Kirsty MacColl
    Solid Harmonie!!!
    Gloria Estefan
    Shara Nelson

- Amazing selections

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

<throws in the already overused 'but did you vote for them?'>

But yeah, Haim seems to cater to a crowd that's definitely being represented in the votes.
    Though not receiving more votes I'm sure there'll be quite a lot of appreciation for them in this thread.
    Having not listened to them in a while I liked what I heard in that clip.

marie_05 likes this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The one upside of starting over is getting anecdotes like these!

Things already get pretty good pretty quickly, don't they?
    I just listened to some upcoming acts I wasn't familiar with and there seem to be some great more obscure picks (as well as more obvious and wellknown but equally great acts)

Oh and completely forgot to mention: Solid HarmoniE was me.
    I think they're the first act I had a poster of on my wall, and I loooooved their singles. The album in hindsight wasn't spectacular, but who cares with such a singles run?

Finally seeing them live in 2009 kinda made my day.

[​IMG]

Even though I've since discovered that Becki's quite unpleasant (or just really hates Mariama) and they're apparently pretty hard to work with I'll always remember them as one of the first acts I considered myself a true fan of, so I owed it to 16-year old me to include them.

6. Uhh. U2 better be the best Irish. Or Roisin Murphy. Or Enya. I fear for the Cranberries though.

---

Loving that Saint Saviour hype the last time. I think it was Marie who send them in. Not sure though.

marie_05, Mvnl and P'NutButter like this.
  7. Yeah I remember Solid HarmoniE's singles always appearing on the free TOTP and Smash Hits CD's. I got their album in Cash Converters about a decade ago and sadly was disappointed with the lack of Max Martin.

iheartpoptarts, londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It was! Can't remember the hype though?
    I believe I did vote for (or longlist?) an Irish act but none of the above.

9. I think HAIM would have been in my top 100 somewhere. 2013 had the highest amount of brilliant new acts of the decade and only one of them made the cut, unfortunately. I remember snubbing one of the others (my #41 at the time) because the second album wasn't out yet. Now it's a year later and the album still hasn't been released!

I Want You To Want Me is one of the most underrated girlband songs.

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah, I've grown to like all but one song on there because of the nostalgia (it was one of those releases out of a time where I only bought about 4 albums a year) but apart from the singles and Come And Get It it was very downtempo affair. Still there was so much potential if things hadn't turned messy.

11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I don't want spoilers but I just feel the urge to guess. Starts with an L?

Yes. Although it did actually rather well over here. It's just so so '90s.
    I was completely here for basically a girlgroup doing Backstreet Boys songs.
    At least Britney did a good job of filling up their void.

12. Yep, that's the one!

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Imagine if Kimberly beat Nadine.

Oh I kind of like that Haim song. Never looked into them so I'll have to correct that. I liked the stellar song too.

DJHazey likes this.
  14. I wanted to add Nadine on my list since she is one of my favorite girl group members ever but her own discography made me cut her at the end. I voted for a few other girl group members though.

londonrain, DJHazey and Mvnl like this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Considering they got votes from different people that could have happened very easily.
    Although this is a countdown I'd say in a way all the 1-vote acts are pretty much on par with eachother.
    Of course it's better when 1 person puts you at number 1 than at number 40, but I'd say all acts that have left thusfar pretty much did equally great. The real countdown starts when we get to the multiple-vote part.

16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

No...

Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I was tempted to do this too with people like the lady in my avatar, but when the solo carreer is so limited or non-existant it just felt like cheating the system. I have to say, with ex-bandmembers with actual proper solo carreers (like certain Spice Girls) considering their time in the band didn't even come to mind. (Although where they came from obviously slightly adds to the magic)

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  18. Oh my last two votes are already out?

I loved Chris De Burgh when I heard him as kid with this one:

How he could be the father of an Irish beauty-queen I still don't check ...

But you Irish guys have some more hot irons in the fire! Don't forget The Corrs, Sinead O'Connor, Van Morrison, Script, Bob Geldof or maybe even Johnny Logan?

singing along "Hold me now, don't cry, don't say a word just ..."

Mika was also me, by the way ...

I do like Bon Jovi! Living On a Prayer is really their best song!

Kinda sad that Gloria Estefan is already out - I'll always remember this song:

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah you have been rather unlucky thusfar. Things will get better!
    And even though I'm a bigger fan of his more midtempo tracks like Rain and Relax I'm glad MIKA at least did get a mention!

londonrain and Filippa like this.
  20. Oh I love Relax, Take It Eeaaasy ... But to me Grace Kelly is one of the best happy-go-lucky songs ever. I always change into good mood listening to this song!

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.