The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I only just realized: they were one of the new 2017 additions. If I remember it right, in the initial countdown they wouldn't have even been there!
    I'm sure even now, with 87 votes, there's some perfectly great pop acts that are completely missing out!
    The more power to the acts that did make it to the top 200/100/40/10 I guess.

2. via Kirsty MacColl!

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  3. That Stellar song was my favorite discovery when this started last year. This is a good reminder that I should check out more of their discography.

4. You have a great taste. That song was #4 in the year-end rate of K-Pop sub-forum. This one is my favorite song of them:

5. Thanks for the recommendation! I love this one too.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  6. I thought the title was hinting at a shock Pink reveal.

I think HAIM would get a lot more votes depending on whether the new album is any good or not. Found it hard to justify giving a slot to an act without 2 albums under their belt (Then again I'm sure there are gonna be acts on the list who haven't even managed to release an album yet, let alone one!), maybe if we did it off the cuff of 2013 they'd have a couple more votes, I wonder if MUNA are going to get a shout out?

Mvnl and 2014 like this.
  7. HAIM for the most part isn't for me, but I still love this one forever.

I'd be shocked if someone other than @NuhdeensPassport voted for Nadine.

8. HAIM is pretty hit or miss for me. Love Pray To God, If I Could Change Your Mind, and this remix:

And did I vote for Sam Smith this time? I made my new list without even consulting my old list, so we'll see if he still made the cut...

Mvnl and 2014 like this.
  9. Surprised HAIM only got one vote too. I know they've yet to release their next album but I always imagined they'd be more popular.

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Ha! And I was thinking I might be giving away a little too much.
    Some acts that were top 40 last time around are already living on borrowed time here though...

Yeah they might have 'Nicola Roberts'-ed their way in in 2013.
    I'm actually wondering which acts this time around will (later on) feel like very of its moment instead of 'all time'.

11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

On to the 10-pointers which sees a rather big name leave the competition..

Sorry for yet another title messup on the 1st track!

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

And just like that the odds of Ronan becoming the biggest male artist in the countdown improved massively!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. I'm suing for emotional distress for being subjected to Thinking Out Loud in the year 2017.

14. I was expecting the 'big name' to be someone very important, but Ed Sheeran ... eh. I like his recent bops, though.

MollieSwift21, Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  15. Not guilty! Though I would have if I hadn't missed this.

DJHazey and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Nah, just clickbait.
    Although, even though I know he's not exactly a Popjustice hero, it's an act you'd expect to do at least a tiny bit better than this.

londonrain likes this.
  17. Pleasantly surprised to see Rose Elinor Dougall! Ed Sheeran, y'kno, exists.
    Stellar are probably my fav girl group and so I wanted to rank them much higher, BUT they only have like 20 songs (not even a full album, all EPs / singles) so I couldn't put them over some others in good conscience despite those songs being mostly 11/10s. If you wanna hear more these are some of my other favs from them:

Queens of sapphic imagery!! My #1 song of 2015.

Queens of melancholy.

Queens of insomnia.

QUEENS OF MELODRAMA.

18. Aww Say Lou Lou was me. Love 'em.

It says something when you are relieved that Martine McLuncheon interrupts Ed Sheeran.

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I must say that Ed is on my 'I'm not sure why everyone's got a problem with him' list.
    Aside from the obvious 'I don't care for his music, yet he's more succesfull than acts I do like'.

Might help I hardly ever listen to radio so I'm not exactly affected by his overexposure.
    (Plus I quite like the songs of his that I know)

20. Same. I'm familiar with Shape Of You because it's fucking everywhere, but I would still not be able to tell you the titles of other hits because I've miraculously managed to avoid them. He does come across ... problematic sometimes, but I can sort of see why the general public like him. I do wish he wasn't clogging up the charts, though.

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.