The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Though not as big a drop as Alexandra Burke, another act previously close to the top 100 makes a huge splash..

Quite a few 10-pointers left, so there's still a part 3 coming!

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Aw, Booty Luv. I can't say I even thought about them this time, but once upon a time they would definitely have made my list. Some Kinda Rush is amazing.

3. I know for sure that my 10-pointer didn't get any other voters, let me see if I can view this video at work.

EDIT - Nope, not yet.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's odd how some of their best songs came out after the album.
    Trim the filler from their debut and throw in This Night, Say It and Till The Sun Comes Up and you got a pretty perfect album. I loved their debut as it was, but the Hed Kandi sound hasn't aged too well.

You Were Meant For Me is beautiful. As are Hands and Foolish Games.
    0304 as a whole was amazing. But for every one of those there's an Adrian that just makes me want Jewel to piss off to poetry class.

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  5. Seeing IU in this rate is a sweet surprise.

The song in the video is amazing but she released her best song (in many's opinions) last month :

Mvnl likes this.
  6. Nerina Pallot's Fires is flawless. But I've found her material ever since really MOR and lacking the quirk of her first two albums.

Jewel is another artist I've always wanted to explore but never had the chance.

londonrain, Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  7. Neither did I until after I submitted my list! But the benevolent Mvnl squeezed them in for me last minute.
    You have THE BEST taste!

iheartpoptarts, Mvnl and Reboot like this.
  8. Just caught up on a few videos - love that Pastora Soler made an appearance, Quedate Conmigo is one of my all-time favourite Eurovision songs. I need to explore her some more.

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  9. It's like WHOAAAAA, LOU LOU?

P'NutButter and Mvnl like this.
  10. When I saw the announcement a big one was leaving and saw Ronan clapping below it, I thought Robbie Williams left. Seeing it was Ed in the video was a bit of an anticlimax.

Jewel definitely didnot deserve this slander. 'Standing Still' was the last song I cut before sending my PJ alltime top 20. It is such an inportant track when I was a child. During primary school I was a very closed child with barely any friends and I felt lonely. I would listen to the radio and tape the song to record it. I still have that tape. This song made me cry because the start of it is so dark. But the ending is so positive and cheerful. I always managed to smile afterwards.

At first standing still means you are going backwards, because it is not forward, when that is the goal. But near the end of the song standing still is much more optimistic. You simply stop to look what is ahead. Not going back. Looking forward to what is to come. Better times!

11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

2 more videos coming tonight, so we can go straight to the allnew reveals tomorrow!
    (Mind, there's quite a lot of new picks in the remaining 10pointers as well!)

12. Congratulations to whoever chose Rose Elinor Dougall - have we seen the last of her in this rate?

The Kirsty MacColl song was an interesting choice - kudos for avoiding the obvious choices.

ModeRed and Mvnl like this.
  13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Here's the first of tonight's 2 updates with all-but-one being acts that you didn't see here last year!

14. That Rose Elinor Dougall song sounded great.

Ed Sheeran finally missing the top 700 is going to make @Eric Generic's day! I think in the real world he would have had a genuine shot at winning the whole thing.

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

What's this 'real world'?
    Bless the fake news of our little PJ filter bubble!

16. When was the Leonard Cohen one submitted? Given the way the news is these days, I'd have submitted "Everybody Knows" in 2017. Good choice though.

Who are "Solid Base"? Their song is a bawp.

P'NutButter, Mvnl and Filippa like this.
  17. Would you like a playlist, because that was me.

iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I must admit I made changes based on this year's votes to the sheet so I'm not entirely sure anymore which votes are from this year and which aren't.
    Apart from Twiins 5 acts in the video were 'new' reveals, but it's still possible these acts were already higher on people's lists last year. Or they previously had more than 1 vote.

Solid Base sound very Real McCoy/Mr President/FreeBee and the likes. Which is great.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Adam Lambert is/was quite a good male popstar, and Pick U Up is a definite tune.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and Filippa like this.
  20. I remember voting for Empire Of The Sun (with the exact same song) last time around (2011), but they missed the cut now. Still love their debut quite a bit, but I haven't listened to their second album at all since the release. They were a bit of an "of the moment" vote for me and I tried to avoid that this time.

I think Ed's song You Need Me, I Don't Need You is the perfect summary of what the Ed Sheeran disdain around these parts is all about, there's no need to really explain it because he already did a good job himself right there. It goes right against everything this forum has ever represented and while I don't even really dislike him (the second album was pretty good), it's unfathomable how someone managed to squeeze so much pretentious/smug "authenticity" crap into 3/4 minutes.

P'NutButter, Eric Generic and Mvnl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.