The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Well I foresee a challenge when we get to bigger names but Youtube has an arrangement with a lot of artists where you can use their music but they get the money from ads. Fine with me, I won't even risk getting into the mess of trying to make money from montages of other people's videos.
    Thusfar it's oddly been mainly smaller/very local acts that were the problem. Quite a few vids have been blocked by Youtube thusfar, sometimes Dailymotion took them, and Vid.me is my last resort because they seem to take anything but have a weekly limit.

2. Yeah I'm very old and I'm used to buying a disc and uploading it. All this subscribing monthly and paid download stuff scares me……

Maybe this means I shouldn't get the Pro/Creative Suite in the first place! Especially at a price of several hundred pounds.

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. I couldn't afford the software for my degree even on the student licence was half the price it normally would be our lecturers told us it wasn't worth it plus my university had software that was outdated because they couldn't afford the newest software. In 2007 the whole creative suite on disc costs just over £2000 and Premier Pro alone was about £600. As far as I know it's difficult to buy the older versions as adobe wants to push their subscription model so to get a version on disc Premier Elements is the only one on the market.

phoenix123 likes this.
  4. The only video editing and cutting software that I've ever been able to use and comprehend is Microsoft Movie Maker. I guess I'd favor more user friendly software over more advanced features.

Anyway, thanks @Mvnl for that info and looking forward to the next video!

Eric Generic and Mvnl like this.
  5. Starting to fear for Steve Brookstein's chances in this countdown.

6. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Leona Lewis was in my top 50. Sad to see her out already.

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Just popping in to say that for a long time my avatar was this picture of Nick from Karmin:
    I really liked the first EP and the Pulses album, but their most recent album was just okay.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The acts I have lost so far are: Alexandra Burke, Jennifer Hudson, Deborah Cox, Tamia and Heather Headley. Apart from possibly Alexandra, I'm seeing a distinct theme here... (although amazingly one of my R&B ladies has survived and I'm now very curious as to what's happened to her!)

Heather's background was very much in musicals before she started recording albums, and her Tony-winning performance in Aida included this amazing song:

which Deborah Cox then remixed and released as a dance single off the back of Deborah's appearance in Aida years later:

(The Deborah version is the song I chose as my favourite version by her, and was in @Mvnl's video that eliminated her.)

Heather released her first album, This Is Who I Am, in 2002, and to me the highlights are the ballads, although there are some good R&B midtempos on there. She got a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist as well as a nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance for I Wish I Wasn't, which is the song I chose for @Mvnl's video eliminating her:

As @Baby Clyde pointed out, she was most recently in the musical version of The Bodyguard (she was part of the original West End cast, and was replaced by Beverley Knight, then Alexandra Burke, then Beverley Knight again). I saw her live and she was absolutely incredible - she has quite a distinctive style of singing, and she used that to make the songs her own rather than just mimicking Whitney. This video doesn't really capture the magic of her live performance in the musical (it's a standalone performance at the Royal Variety Performance and I've seen her easily surpass this live) but it's a good start:

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

This is basically how I feel about Nerina. A few years ago I would have absolutely put her in my top 20 and I've been to see her live more often than I've seen any other artist, but it's felt a bit like diminishing returns of late and the last album is the first thing she's ever recorded that I haven't bought.

Whoever chose Idaho has excellent taste, though - it's a gorgeous song by her and easily my favourite.

Definitely look into her! I always seem to group her in my head with Donna Lewis as '90s one-hit wonders who deserved better.

The song @Mvnl put in the video is actually called "Lonely" (not "Alright" as mentioned in the video) and it's the lead single from her second album (she only ever had two).

My favourite singles by her are her first two, though:

Zar-Unity and P'NutButter like this.
  10. I'm shocked Leona is out. Not as a popstar - because as a "popstar", she is diabolical. But that it was with 'Better In Time' and not 'Bleeding Love'!

Mvnl likes this.
  11. Nope.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

13. WE WILL!!!

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It looks like I might be occupied with this countdown for a while, but I could see either a 'send in your ultimate 90s songs' kind of thing or one more similar to this thread, but then focussed on 'the essential 90s acts' (with best single picks, 90s only of course)

iheartpoptarts and Filippa like this.
  15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

SHOCKED (not shocked) that whoever chose the Vengaboys didn't make this monstrosity their nominated song:

16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

If it wasn't for Perez (and ignoring the double entendres) I actually quite like that one.

Now this one...

londonrain likes this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

That takes quite some ignoring.

Mvnl likes this.
  18. I suspected Maxwell might be @Baby Clyde aswell. @push the button chose the right song though, I loved that track so much I bought it twice it seems (was it re-released in the UK?).

marie_05 and londonrain like this.
  19. Ooh, nice to see so many thumbs up for Chisu. "Miehistä viis" ("Men? Who Needs 'em!) was my first ever PJSC song back in 2013 (just a mid-table finish), and two years later I tried again, with this newer one (just a mid-table finish again):

I'll never tire of extolling her virtues to open-minded pop fans: not only does she write all her songs but she also produces them, which is very rare among chart-topping female artists anywhere in the world.

Mvnl likes this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It might help that english isn't my first language, so on a good day I can pretty much take it for a cute spacetravel bop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.