The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The production on this is great.
    I'm sure if an english act came up with her songs the forum would be all over it.

Russron likes this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Working on the next video, which sees an act leave I'm pretty sure plenty people expected to a lot better. (Better than Leona even?)

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I did not see this one coming either..

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. This one doesn't work for me.

The video contains content from Victor Entertainment Inc... It is not available in your country.

5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Shit, give me a second!

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

New link added!

Zar-Unity and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  7. Nik Kershaw! Now there's an old-school popstar. Hands up everyone who remembers Nik's official explanation of the lyrics to "The Riddle"?

Tove Lo - I loved that first album, but the overwhelming negativity to "Lady Wood" on this forum has made me put it on my "listen to it eventually" list.

ModeRed, Filippa and Mvnl like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh I missed that. I guess that's why she only got 1 vote. She seemed like quite a Popjustice darling to me.

9. I listened to Lady Wood out of curiosity earlier this year I wasn't that impressed by it which was disappointing considering how good Queen of The Clouds is however I do like True Disaster from it.

10. Oh there was an explanation? I really liked "The Riddle"!

Tove Lo has only one or two songs I care for - Stay High e.g. And she was part of songwriting team of Love Me Like I Do. What a good song!

Mvnl likes this.
  11. Vote Lo.

I think I like two of her songs – and I know she helped write Something New, so if we count that, then, er, I still just like two of her songs – but I also thought she was the same person as Tove Styrke until like a month ago. By her ranking, there is still every possibility that this makes me her second biggest fan.

"Mario" is one of the worst mononyms in music. I hate gratuitous mononyms. Clearly not the most famous person named Mario. Not even the most famous REAL person named Mario. If you've chosen a mononym that, if you search it on Wikipedia, you have to go to "For other uses, see Mario (disambiguation)" and then scroll around to find yourself, you fucked up your mononym. You fucked up your mononym so bad that you've got the worst name of an act in a montage that features fucking "Train".

marie_05 and Mvnl like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Do you save all your (countdown related) avatars?
    Would love to include them in some sort of overview!

13. I like Tove Lo's second album a lot even more than the first one and actually she was on my shortlist but then cut her when narrowed my list to 20 acts.

Reboot likes this.
  14. I love Tove Lo. The more people get riled up about how 'edgy' and pro-female empowerment she is, the more I adore her. The music's pretty amazing too. Talking Body is the one for her.

15. Tove Lo's first album is bloody brilliant. But I think she went into overkill after it with the collabs and by the time Lady Wood came out the material seemed stale and uninspired?

16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's it for the 13-pointers with one vote!

17. The video for that song looks like a total rip-off of Siobhan Donaghy's Overrated.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  18. Howard Jones and Nick Kershaw with stonking tunes there.

mump boy and Mvnl like this.
  19. Oh no! I forgot to vote for Sara Evans! I'm a flop fan. Excellent choice of song from my favourite album of hers.

Bryan Adams was mine - "Reckless" was what 1985 was all about for me. I like Mvnl's video choice - for "summer of 69" you either need to go with the opening guitar riff and first four lines, or you need the middle 8 and last chorus and he went for the latter.

I have never heard of "Purity Ring" before. They seem moderately worth checking out.

20. Sure, they should pretty much all be knocking about somewhere or other. I seem to remember I lost one of Holly Valance. I don't know why.

John Barry was my vote. To hell with Louis Armstrong, the proper instrumental On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme is unmatched. Bringing grinding electronic basslines to the 1960s. All it's missing is a Dizzee Rascal feature.

I've lost 8 acts now. But I think I'm set for a nice patch where I could conceivably lose 0 in the next 4. Maybe 1. Almost certainly not more than 1.

WhenTheSunGoesDown and Mvnl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.