The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Nope, it was @Spiral .
    Considering her chart succes clearly some people are here for her (I quite liked No actually) but in this countdown she pretty much lands on the Ed Sheeran pile of 'bigger in the real world'.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  2. *skims video* Ah, more bad results for The X Factor as we lose Diana Vickers and the Dolly Rockers.

Diana Ross only got one vote last time too, right? As did The Supremes. Just checked and they were one place below Girls Can't Catch. Amazing.

And fuck, I just checked Diana Ross while I was there, and she literally was tied with the Dolly Rockers! I thought I was joking! 2011 was something.

Baby Clyde and Mvnl like this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I guess tying with Meghan Trainor is progress?
    (I'm not sure at all about this)

Baby Clyde, Sprockrooster and Filler like this.
  4. Las Grecas were one of my favourite discoveries from the last countdown. Was slightly tempted to make them one of the unlikeliest 2-vote acts this time round.

I'd probably give them Booty Luv's place on another girl group compilation vote, at least.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Russron, Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Those were all 14-pointers by the way!

6. No. 723. I see what you did there!

I actually like NO, but is it supposed to be a weird mix of that Eminem song and late 90s bubblegum?

The sound of Alvvays reminded me of The Cranberries a lot.

7. I just cannot believe my #27 made it too!! This is all so surreal!

Last artist was lost on #38 and probably the next one I will lose at #17. I did thought that about my #27 too, so who knows that one got an additional voter too.

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Haha yes! For every shocking cut there's also a surprising survival or 2 going on!
    I really can't wait for the 2/more-votes part because from there on technically any act could leave any turn, but I guess for those who still have/remember their votes (if you don't: let me know!) this stage actually is kind of exciting already as well.

9. I liked the Alvvays album but nothing ever touches Archie, Marry Me. Felt kinda odd to say Purity Ring are my 28th favourite act of all time but I actually really like their second album too, I don't know where they can go from here though.

Just had a look at my list again and doubt any of my picks will be touched for a couple of rounds at least.

ModeRed and constantino like this.
  10. I genuinely love that Meghan Trainor song.

Poor Lydia Ainsworth having to shoot her video in my local Superbowl though.

Mvnl likes this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Now if that last act could have done 1 or 2 more albums of the same quality they might have made my list. I miss that sound.

12. "Scandalous" was the jam.

Offspring - I love early offspring, but Ixnay on the Hombre is the album of theirs I don't particularly rate. Maybe it didn't go anywhere in the UK?

iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  13. Wow I was not aware of this Mis-Teeq JAM!

iheartpoptarts, constantino and Mvnl like this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

15. Preach!

16. If only Telstar hadn't gone bankrupt Mis-Teeq could have easily released another couple of albums made their mark on pop music before calling it a day. Then they could have reunited right about now with the music that Craig David is doing these days.

Style is somewhat of a forgotten gem in my opinion.

17. Shoot, so close -- we could've made history together!

Mvnl likes this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

They're up there with the Honeyz for me as a band with a very short shelflife but everything they did release showed amazing potential.
    That said, Mis-teeq's second album was a bit of a letdown.

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Style as a reissue single felt very much 'we need to capitalize on the success of Scandalous'. It's still a great song though, but I prefer the 2-step sound of album number 1.

iheartpoptarts and Baby Clyde like this.
  20. Good call, Marianne Faithfull. My song choice would've been "Ballad of Lucy Jordan", but then I realized I don't really love any other of her albums quite as much...

Mvnl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.