The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl likes this.
  2. Nice to see Rilo Kiley on the list. I saw them live once, and they were excellent. I wonder if Jenny Lewis will show up on her own.

Mvnl likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I wasn't even aware she did solo stuff!
    I only truly know one Rilo Kiley album (the one with Breakin' Up on it) and I do love that one!

4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Mis-Teeq and Solid Harmonie are both acts that would have made my list if they'd had longer pop careers. Both absolutely brilliant acts, but I never got into that second Mis-Teeq album as much as the first one.

iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

100% me. With Mis-teeq it was the quality of the 2nd album (though in hindsight I do enjoy it, it just doesn't really have any peakes), with Solid HarmoniE it was mainly a case of 'why did they stop when they did??' (I guess Melissa going solo & Mariama leaving for the Honeyz did not help.)

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Alright, one more before I go to bed..

I didn't expect any different for that last act but still: awwww.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Wow I have a fellow voter for the first time! So glad about it.

Marianne Faithful is interesting that's true. But "Irina Palm" (movie) impressed me most ...

Mvnl likes this.
  8. Mis-Teeq is another new entry where the most surprising discovery is that they didn't get any votes in 2011. Solo Alesha was just outside the top 100!

Yeah that's how I've always thought of Las Grecas too. The original Honeyz, in many ways.
    Oh, right, yeah.

iheartpoptarts and Mvnl like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Things are about to get better! Considering some of your acts that already left I was surprised this was the first exception!

10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I feel much the same about the Honeyz as I do about Solid Harmonie (although in the Honeyz' case it irritates me even more that the second album was actually recorded and didn't get released).

But I made a conscious effort to avoid one-album wonders in my list.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The same thing happened to Solid Harmonie. I even remember song clips for album 2 being up on their website! The entire thing leaked about 2 years ago around the time of their 'comeback' single.

12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I did not know this! Was there more Max Martin material on the second album?

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Le Kid were my pick. I had some doubts including them again since they pretty much were a 1 album act, but I still love how (like Dragonette/Alphabeat) they're not just a pop act but a proper selfpenning band, while their material is as pop as it gets.

Loved everything about them, from the artwork..

[​IMG]

To the singles:

If anyone needs any more convincing, here's a little megamix of their album I did back in the day:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/Popsessed/le-kids-oh-alright-album-mixtape/

Robsolete, Reboot, londonrain and 2 others like this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Not sure about the producers but it definitely didn't have anything up there with their first few singles! Most of it is up on Youtube.

londonrain likes this.
  15. Fun fact: Mark Ronson is one of 30 acts to have been nominated for the Popjustice Twenty Quid Music Prize on 2 or more occasions; and, I think, the first we've seen eliminated. Mind you there are like 6 others I don't think will have had any votes at all. This fact isn't as fun as I thought it would be when I started typing it.

EDIT: I undersold him. He's one of 12 acts to have been nominated on 3 or more occasions. (There is still another one of those 12 I think could quite plausibly not have had any votes.)

16. I actually should have voted for Mark Ronson. He definitely deserves a spot among my 40.

Mvnl likes this.
  17. They're 10 times better than the Honeyz.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  18. I like their sound! I really enjoyed "We should go home together", "America" and "Mercy mercy"! I'm also listening to your mixtape and enjoying that as well! Wow, every song on your mix is actually really good! Time to check out their album?

The female singer(s) sound great over the melodies and the beats! Their music videos are creative, well performed and fun to watch!

Very impressive for indie pop. Thanks for sharing! Nice taste.

Mvnl likes this.
  19. Same here!

I should go ahead and mention that I wanted to keep my top 40 list untouched, with only what my then current favorite top 40 artist's to listen to were, and not include Diana Vickers to my list, even though she would have most definitely made it to my list now, as she is one of my top favorite, most frequent played artists!

By at the time of making my list, I didn't know the brilliance of Diana Vickers yet. Amazing.

I "really" hope that someone else voted for her!

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  20. HoneyBlood sound interesting..they remind me of the band Lush. Also Marianne Faithfull sounds strangely interesting in some way, even though she has a odd voice.

ModeRed and constantino like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.