The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Erik Hassle is someone I'm always glad to be reminded of. Hurtful was such a jam.

londonrain and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This remains their magnus opus for me:

I think last time I might have voted for them, they were longlist this time, but it didn't feel right to vote for a band I know nothing about just because their one album is pretty much back-to-front pop perfection. What an album though.

3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

And oh oh, K-otic.
    After the whole of last year I'm still not sure if they moved up or down on my list.
    I never been this 'close' to a proper popact, seeing everything that goes on behind the scenes, witnessing rehearsals, hanging out backstage, feeling really odd about meet & greets when you've already spent days with these people thinking 'they're just regular people, why would you pay so much money to be in a room with them??'
    But in a way I got a bit of a hangover from the whole experience, it kinda popped my bubble when it comes to the pop music world and media in general.

Anyway, these are some pop classics:

And their entire first album is amazing.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Also, some live stuff from the past year:
    (also known as 'what I was doing while neglecting this thread')

(of Paulina Rubio fame)

(She was on the Voice and you can tell why here. Pretty much the Nadine/Claire of the band) @MollieSwift21 will like this one.

Still considering subtitling the docu I did on them cause for popfanatics there were some really good stories in there..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. Turns out that my boss is a huge K-otic (and Britney) fan, which was quite a bit of a surprise! I like Falling.

Here's hoping they're not going to kill the thread again.

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

In a very indirect way they sorta broke my spirit, so if there's any way they'd be able to stop this again it would be because of that. In general I think I witnessed firsthand how becoming famous all at once at a really young age just isn't healthy for anyone. I mean, you learn to keep a certain distance from people at an age where others actually learn to socialize. If I could go back, and the docu wasn't used to promote their concert I think it could have been a lot deeper (and darker).

iheartpoptarts, funkyg and marie_05 like this.
  7. Mazzy Star was me. I could share about moments in my young life soundtracked by them, but telling you about the soundtrack to my college love life might include TMI.

I was one of the 900 who actually bought Frank's album on initial release. I forgot to vote for them, even though they're an awesome Xenomania act.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

For a one album no hit act I suppose 11 years on them even getting a vote at all is quite something. Not that it wasn't deserved, that album and their vocals were actually great.
    How did they even get the album released? Poor Amelia Lily and Mini Viva.

iheartpoptarts and londonrain like this.
  9. What little I know of Black Box Recorder and Mazzy Star seems lovely, and I imagine I'd have been into both if I was a few years older and a melancholy teenager in the late 1990s. Instead the only album I owned by 2000 was Schizophonic by Geri Halliwell. No time to be moody when you're making your friends compete in a dance-off to 'Look at Me' in your bedroom.

10. I'll never forgive K-otic for taking our Mvnl away from us.

constantino, 2014, funkyg and 4 others like this.
  11. That jittery floating 'G' is really turning it out in the Global Communication video. Evocative song title, too. The full pop package.

(As I seem to do for most of the acts that don't really sound like they belong here, I'm now searching them on Spotify. If nothing else, it's reminded me to consider Aphex Twin for the 2023 version of this thread)

Mvnl likes this.
  12. Global Communication was me. I love to bring the cheesy pop smarts.

Whilst they descended into anonymous house later on, that 1994 debut album is the zenith of ambient music as far as I'm concerned - and thus they demanded representation on my list.

beyoncésweave, Filler and Mvnl like this.
  13. Loved seeing Miss A make an appearance. Their discography is pretty much bulletproof.

K-otic remind me of an outdoor sports day I attended in elementary school and their biggest hit was playing across the football field and all my fellow ten-year-olds were bopping to it and I was just standing there not knowing who the hell they were.

14. Wow, Frank sounds really good! Investigate!

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Those were all 16-pointers by the way!
    On to the next batch. Getting pretty close to people's top 20 acts now (I guess this is where most eliminations start hurting).

16. It's gonna be so exciting to get to the top 20. The quality of acts/songs has been amazing already, but I can't wait to see what people's BIG faves are.

I am confident I won't be losing any acts till we reach the #15s, though.

Zar-Unity, Mvnl and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Sure about that?

londonrain likes this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I'm actually ridiculously impatient to get on with this, people's highest acts are exciting, but then the 2-votes/more votes part is where things really get going. Got a long way to go though.

19. Given my popular, uncontroversial tastes, yes.

... I think.

Mvnl likes this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.