The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. @Mvnl so happy this is back and as always thanks for your hard work on the videos.

Damn, looks like I was the only voter for Sophie B Hawkins.

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I like what I know from Sophie, though she's very much 'Dawson's Creek soundtrack'-material in my mind (not by any means an insult, I just picture sitting on a dock at night in the '90s hearing her sing)

This is probably my favourite.

But love for this one as well!

3. I am actually wondering that the closer we get to the top favourites the less artists are solely chosen.

4. Ryn Weaver was on my long list, so I'm glad somebody gave her some points. The Fool is a near flawless debut album.

beyoncésweave likes this.
  5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Love Ryn (Pierre is so incredible) and Right Beside You by Sophie is a classic. Yas!

Mvnl likes this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

To a certain extent. 329 acts from people's 21/40 leave as one-vote-acts, compared to 216 from people's top 20s. (Still with 87 votes that's only about 3 acts a person)
    People's favourites might be more random personal picks while they fill up their list with bigger acts they just like though.

(And yes, yikes at that number, but we already said goodbye to 276 acts by now! Also, all together the 1-vote acts got 545 seperate votes, but that's nothing compared to the 2737 votes spread between all the multiple-vote-acts)

7. Ha, and I will forever associate her (or at least "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover") with Beverly Hills, 90210 thanks to its prominent placement in one of the Kelly/Dylan Summer of Deception episodes. She's probably made a lot of money from that and Dawson's Creek, though, so I bet she doesn't mind.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  8. I remember back in the 90s when music magazines were still vaguely worth reading seeing the front page tagline "Sophie B Hawkins: Damn, I wish I was your marketing man".

(Oh, and there's nothing wrong with "very Dawson's Creek" - the two soundtrack albums were stuffed with awesome songs)

Alphaville voter: I hereby challenge you to to a highly stylised absinthe-drinking contest to unconsciousness for failing to choose the awesomeness that is "Big in Japan". Although I may have to challenge any "Forever Young" supporters to a schlager duel first.

funkyg, Filippa and Mvnl like this.
  9. Yeah Alphaville! I remember them. There was another song I liked @unnameable @unknownAlphavilleVoter:

Quite a few years after their heydays I saw them live. They still had not any decent song but those three.

And I liked Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down" even more than "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover". But after that I've never heard of her again ...

Ryn Weaver has the kind of voice I like but I am not certain I like the song.

Thanks @Mvnl for going on! Don't let any other obscure band distract you again!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Mvnl likes this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's it for the 17-pointers!

funkyg, Island, P'NutButter and 7 others like this.
  11. I do love a bit of Gene. Takes me right back to being a melancholy 17 yr old again.

ModeRed and marie_05 like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I love Clean Bandit for being very much today's answer to '90s dance.
    Rather Be, Symphony & Rockabye all are great. This however is gonna have a hard time being topped:

Seriously, what a song.

P'NutButter, londonrain, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  13. No idea who Alan is but I'm feeling it.

Clean Bandit have already given us so many classics, they're geniuses.

Mvnl likes this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah, give me one more decent album and they might make my list next time.

15. When is the Edie Brickell song from? I only know her early stuff (I played Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars a lot "back in the day") and can't place this.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Good question! It was one of the first tracks I even had a bit of trouble tracking down, maybe @Zar-Unity knows?

Zar-Unity likes this.
  17. I've been planning on doing a deep dive into Clean Bandit's discography after falling in love with Symphony.

Mvnl likes this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

There's only one album though! I forgot if it was any good. It was pre Symphony/Tears/Rockabye though, so I might have underestimated them as a cute one-album act at the time.
    At the very least check out their singles, all of those are classics.

19. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I like the singles that I know by Sophie. I've actually been thinking about rewatching Dawsons.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  20. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Also Pacey is still the worst! @Mvnl

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.