The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Love that Saybia and White Stripes were chosen.

marie_05 likes this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Kate Nash has some good tracks but her albums aren't that strong. And Lolly is a blast from the past, Mickey is iconic.

londonrain, Island and iheartpoptarts like this.
  3. S.E.S. sounds interesting! Are they a Kpop group?

Thank you Mvnl for the videos today!

I think we have one 18 pointer video left to go. If I'm not mistaken.

_hazzie_ and Mvnl like this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Nope, these were them!

5. The Saybia vote was me. I believe they only ever took off in Denmark and The Netherlands? Not sure if they even properly released anything in the UK.

I have to agree about Marissa Nadler, that song sounded brilliant (and very Lana-esque indeed).

6. I've ordered Marissa Nadler albums and I adore Kate Nash. Her recent EP is brilliant.

7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Due to this thread?
    That should please @One Stop Candy Shop

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Indeed!
    From what I've heard it's closer to Lizzy/acoustic Lana, but I love the tone of her voice.
    Bit overwhelmed by how big her discography is.. acts I never heard about before should just be on their debut album!!

It's so odd how on one hand I can't wait to get to the 'proper' countdown, but then this is probably the part with the most hidden/surprising gems.

Will do one more video tonight.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. To Busted's credit, I think they are exactly one position too low.

iheartpoptarts, marie_05 and Mvnl like this.
  10. Mvnl likes this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  12. Glad to see some love for Marissa Nadler. Not the most PJ-friendly kind of music but she's awesome. Her album July is a good place to start if you like what you hear.

13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Nickel Creek was my pick.

I think this song in particular is pop justice friendly.

They also have a lot of songs that are calming like:
    Lighthouse's Tale
    When You Come Back Down

Other favorites:
    When In Rome
    Somebody More Like You
    Hayloft

The majority of their albums were produced by Alison Krauss. Chris Thile is one of the best mandolinists players. The harmonies between them are fantastic.

Year 3000 is also a jam. Being American I heard the Jonas Brothers version first.

14. MollieSwift21

I haven't listened to much of Linda Ronstadt though I know my parents are fans. I have listened to an album that featured her, Dolly Parton, and Emmlylou Harris.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Did someone get replaced or did the really cute guy in the song you picked just age a bit?
    (that was the main thing grabbing my attention in your song pick)

I had no idea that was a thing!
    It's a catchy track, but the utterly random fact they live under water (probably only for the fact it rhymes with granddaughter) somehow ruines the chorus for me.

iheartpoptarts and MollieSwift21 like this.
  16. Is miss Q any relation to "Jackie Q" in the film "Get him to the Greek"? Or is Jackie Q's brand of innuendo too sophisticated for actual 80s British pop?

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Do you mean Stacey Q?
    Cause she's american.

18. MollieSwift21

It's all the same members @Mvnl . There was about 15 years in-between the song I chose and the other I just posted though!

Mvnl likes this.

19. Yeah they are. They actually had a reunion in January after 15 years as their 20th anniversary. Also they are probably the oldest (or at least one of the oldest) K-Pop girl group(s). I never listened to their material though, I only know some facts about them n n n.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.