The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 44 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Ahh, I know what we have here. My first act to not leave with only one vote! But if someone else voted for a different song by the same act, which song will in fact be featured, once we arrive to the 2 or 3 votes videos? Which ever song got the most votes? What if it's a tie between two different songs by the same artist? And now my head hurts.

Well, I am relieved and very much looking forward to the 19 pointer videos next!

londonrain and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Your number 36/35/29 didn't leave yet either!
    Actually all songs chosen get featured a little. To break 'ties' the amount of votes a song got as well as the position those voters put the act in play a part.
    Last time around the initial aim of the countdown was to make an 'Ultimate Popstar' compilation, where the top 40 acts and their top songs made up the tracklist. I guess this time around the songs are more there to represent each act, although with acts that got a lot of votes finding out the top song picks will be interesting as well!

3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

4. I only know like three Gavin DeGraw songs (I Don't Wanna Be of course, Chariot and Follow Through - which I think I found from this countdown last time around or something similar?). I like the sound of Make a Move!

I was going to be very shocked that Sophie had only secured one vote on Popjustice of all places, but then the text saying Freemasons came on - makes much more sense! What a song.

5. Oh, I see..

Thank you for that strange (as in having all the info on these girls but not listening to their music) and interesting info!
    I definitely like their voices! I think I might take a peak at their material.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  6. Ah! We're back on to me losing picks again. Those soundtracks make the Silent Hill games for me. Haunting, disturbing, atmospheric – Lolly might be an unconventional choice of composer, but she makes it work.

(I like that the last laugh in Devil's Laughter sounds like the "back up and turn around" guy from Government Hooker. Ditch the soft rock shit and sample it, Gaga)

Island, marie_05 and Mvnl like this.
  7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Haha I did leave a little longer for the artist name to pop up there to fool everyone for a second!

What a song indeed. The Freemasons really had a great sound for their productions and remixes. Original songs weren't half bad either.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This was actually where I considered throwing in a little 666.

iheartpoptarts and Filler like this.
  9. Wow, three new videos in one day! You are amazing!

Rainbow, she's got a cool sound to her! Once again, I think Kpop.

Mvnl likes this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh right, I forgot to edit that bit, but he was actually #434 last time. Not a new entry.

londonrain and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. Oh yeah, I must have forgot about those! I'm really glad that "all" songs will get their own little moment.

Oh the position helps to break a tie on a song with the same amount of votes, great idea!

I see, I love the way you are presenting everyone's top 40 acts this time, with the main focus being on the artists themselves, rather than just their songs from a fixed number list. Seems more natural that way. And that way, everybody's time and effort put into coming up with each one of their beloved songs and artists gets to shine, for a moment. Everything about this song contest is just..magical.

Yes! It should indeed be most surprising and entertaining, seeing which artist come out on the top this time around! And I don't even need any popcorn, because the videos provide the tasty snacking portion. hehe

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah, I think the first time I started doing these kind of countdowns Rates weren't even much of a thing on here, and much as I like those, I also like the surprise element here. Have everyone send in their own selection and than see which acts get the most mentions. Apart from discovering random acts I'm sure there'll be also plenty of surprises of acts getting a lot more (or less) votes than expected.
    Last time around I remember when we got to the top 2 some people still weren't sure who the remaining acts were. Definitely part of the charm.

iheartpoptarts and Zar-Unity like this.
  13. Let me catch up a bitsy.

I LOVE miss A! My fave has to be I Don't Need A Man

(and Love Alone and Good-bye Baby).

iheartpoptarts, Zar-Unity and Mvnl like this.
  14. Yaaaaaas to whoever voted for CL. I also love the GO West song, such a classic.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It is. Whenever I see their name I think they're a Pet Shop Boys tribute band though.

funkyg and _hazzie_ like this.
  16. Oh...there must be at least 9 better Sam Fox tracks than that.

mump boy likes this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Tell that to @ohnoitisnathan
    But then, there's no competition when it comes to personal favourites!

18. Per Sempre Amore is my favorite Lolly song too. Orange Caramel's best bop is...

Never really payed much attention to Rainbow.

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Well that's something different to them dressing up as fairytale characters.
    I feel, if only I could get past the language barrieres there'd be so much to enjoy for me in these K-pop girl bands!

iheartpoptarts and _hazzie_ like this.
  20. Oh nooooo, what a terrible day for my picks... Okay, Dirty Projectors I can sorta understand wouldn't amass too much support here, but even Tune-Yards? C'mon! I can only assume nobody's seen her live then? A fucken genius, Merrill is:

Oh and my heart goes out to whoever voted for Serge -- the comp clip's live performance from his later alcoholic years really doesn't do justice to that beautiful song of his...

constantino and Mvnl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.