The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. WHEW Sorry is a BOP. One of my favourite songs of whatever year it came out. Justin is continually great at the moment, actually - save those singles from Purpose I like him much more as a featured artist than a lead (Cold Water, Let Me Love You, I'm the One, obviously the incredible Despacito).

JoJo was my selection - I'm actually surprised that she only got one vote! I think she was a late addition for me too when this was re-upped so she actually could not have made the list at all. I really fell back in love with her with the release of Mad Love and seeing her live at the start of the year, and though her debut isn't that strong everything that has come since is pretty incredible. Say Love is one of my many favourites but she's one of those artists where I don't have any one stand out song - it could just as easily have been Disaster, or Mad Love, or Marvin's Room as my choice.

2014 and Robsolete like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

JoJo's last album really made me turn around on her. I liked Leave/Too Little Too Late, but somehow (probably cause of the attitude of those songs) I just saw her as this bratty girl.
    She also seemed to go the 'one album wonder'-way of the likes of Stacie Orrico. Glad to be proven wrong.

As for Justin, I know he doesn't have a lot of discussion on here, but still: wow, Popjustice really isn't here for male popstars is it?

3. Not sure which one is the shock exit, cause I find Chic, Basement Jaxx and Marilyn Manson all shocking to be honest. But you probably mean Justin Bieber. But I do get why doesnot make a lot of lists.

londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  4. Marilyn Manson has always intrigued me. Apparently he is one of the nicest artists in the music industry? ha

Looooooove 'Le Freak'. Bloody always attached to Sarah Harding now though!

Mvnl likes this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I had no idea this happened.
    What even was the concept of the show? Clumsy dancing with a ball?

6. Personally I've never been able to listen to Marilyn Manson the same way since Amelle's ill-fated balance beam routine to Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon.

unnameable, Island and Mvnl like this.
  7. Jojo should have been on my list. She's one of the few that I thought of after like ''how the fuck did I forget her?!?''

Absolutely incredible woman.

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's it for the number 18s with one vote!

Let's see if I can throw out one (or a few more videos) with the #17s later tonight?

constantino, funkyg, 2014 and 10 others like this.
  9. Y*ss, QOTSA really were at the top of their game right then, weren't they.

Oh and Chic was me (again). I'm surprised there's still nobody else who likes 'em as much. How sad.

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I actually enjoyed Le Freak a lot more seeing them sing it.
    When I just hear the song I'm afraid it has become one of those overplayed disco staples that they throw in at every single wedding and '70s party for me. (See also: Get Down On It)

11. Me, I don't really believe in overplaying; true class will always shine through.

marie_05 and Eric Generic like this.
  12. The Nutcracker Suite is a fantastic piece of music. A very pleasant surprise to hear on PJ.

#17 is finally an artist again in which I think it is very likely I am the only one voting for it. But I thought that before, so I am not entirely sure.

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

There are definitely some surprising acts to pick up 2nd (or more) votes.
    While at the same time as you all can see perfectly PJ-friendly acts are already leaving..

14. Oh, I'm fairly sure that my #17 artist is a one-of.

Mvnl likes this.
  15. Meja sounds really nice.

Zar-Unity, londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

She is, although for me she never topped her one big hit:

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I could swear we only just discussed Sting, but I assume with the Ultimate Album and Song threads going on at the same time it probably was in one of those?

funkyg and londonrain like this.
  18. Yes, his debut solo album was in the Ultimate Album thread early on!

funkyg, Zar-Unity, londonrain and 2 others like this.
  19. The Chic "sound", as it were, would be among my very favourite music, but neither Chic nor Sister Sledge could quite break into my own Top 40.

Mvnl likes this.
  20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I did quite enjoy her vocals on this as well:

Who nominated her? @Zar-Unity?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.