The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

The Ultimate Popstar Countdown 2017 - #450a

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, May 8, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

2. This is your annual Public Service Broadcasting call. Roll up, roll up.

ModeRed and Mvnl like this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Kosheen are fab, and State Of Mind is such a fantastic single.

4. Holly Valance was such a great discovery of my no-pure-pop-on-the-radio-so-I'm-going-to-go-online-and-find-it-anyway era. Good times.

Also, Creamy! I live for our occasional bubblegum dance moments.

Island, londonrain and Mvnl like this.
  5. CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMY!

Best song by them EVER. Change your lives now, everyone.

Sprockrooster and iheartpoptarts like this.
  6. Creamy! REPRAZENT that Faroese pride!
    (Damn you for making me feel guilty about not entering enough Danish acts. Reminds me, Moo tickets just went onsale for October)

Adam Ant truly is an epic popstar. Seeing as I have actually worn a 17th century casaque while having a white stripe painted across my face on a night out, he is one of the very few on this list I have ever tried to imitate - the sincerest form of flattery. To all the flop fans like me who forgot to include him - the devil take your stereo and your record collection.

The Andrews Sisters - proving close harmony is timeless and never goes out of fashion.

7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Feeling so tempted to push O'G3NE tonight.

8. That is a truly wonderful 4 minutes 14 seconds of music video...

...slightly biased as one of my selections features, but Public Service, Adam, Kosheen... all great

Mvnl likes this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

The weekend was quite busy, but no worries: new video is on its way, including quite a few acts that weren't there last time around!

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

That's it for people's #38s!

11. Two acts that I love, even though they didn't make my Top 40.

Monrose with admittedly a choice for a song (it was an unpopular opinion that I didn't care for "Like A Lady" in their rate) but Strictly Physical on the other hand (and a gazillion other bops they have), yes please:

Fefe Dobson as well. I probably rank the Canadian pop-punk trio Avril-Skye-Fefe, but Fefe's discography is loaded with a variety of styles. "Ghost" is from her more 'poppier' material. Self-Titled and Sunday Love are more pop-rock and Joy is bit more of the pop. Here's a fav from Sunday Love:

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This Monrose song is brilliant.

This one really hits me as well (also because it reminds me of their split.. never seen a band that distraught announcing it.. does anyone still have a link to that moment.. it was painful how little they seemed to be behind the decision)

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Clare Maguire!!! Yas.

14. YES "This is Me" is brilliant @Mvnl, I am getting my LIFE right now.

Strictly Physical was my 11, but This Is Me was in the running, so was Golden (ddd), so was Hot Summer, so was Certified, so was Catwalk V-O-G-U-E, etc. ugh what an amazing discography.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  15. Vixen and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yes, where were you guys voting for this?

(Not that I voted for Monrose. There's only so much space in a top 40 and I'm really just a casual fan.
    BWO was my vote though. I was close to removing them this time around for not having any connection to the actual band, but they had just too many great songs to ignore them)

iheartpoptarts and DJHazey like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Has there been a Monrose rate?

Also, my 11 probably would go to This Is Me, if not Hit 'N Run or You Can Look. Those were massive.

Sprockrooster and iheartpoptarts like this.
  18. Indeed.

Hot Summer will be in the next Winner's Rate coming up.

iheartpoptarts, Vixen and Mvnl like this.
  19. Fefe was mine. She's one of those acts who has been treated so badly by her label and yet still comes out with A-grade material every time. Fefe's version of "As a Blonde" is one of my highlights from her, but the first half of of her album Joy is a seriously strong run in tracks.

Unfortunately her most recent album, Firebird, has seen the same fate as Sunday Love, and unless it gets a surprise release in 10 years to come.. we aren't seeing that album.

20. I do like Fefe Dobson's own version of "As A Blonde" a lot more than Selena's because her voice was made for it in comparison. It's one of the worst songs in Selena's entire discography if you ask me.

WhenTheSunGoesDown likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.