The US #1s of the 2000s Rate (Part 2: 2005-2009 - Your #1 Is...) | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

The US #1s of the 2000s Rate (Part 2: 2005-2009 - Your #1 Is...)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, May 22, 2016.

1. The really striking thing about The Fame now is how fun it all is. Gaga has had a bit of a habit of being really seriousface sometimes since.

2. When I think about a certain album track of The Fame without thinking about other songs ; that song is so average for me.Same for other tracks. But when i look at entire album ; all the tracks match together greatly. It's an amazing dance/electronic album. Though it's one track (Eh Eh ) that I really don't like in it.

Remorque and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  3. Whatever happened to CherryCherryBoomBoom?

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I'm not used to having so much discussion here!

I am NOT complaining though.

I'm sure some of you will have a lot to say about this elimination.

Please.

[​IMG]

#5. Just Dance (8.869)

Weeks at #1: 3 consecutive
    Highest Scorer: 11 x 2 (@A$AP Robbie, @Pinkladyisf) 10 x 15 (@Animalia, @br0dy, @Conan, @constantino, @DJHazey, @GhettoPrincess, @Jeffo, @K94, @LPMA, @Pinkieshy, @Posh Spears, @Remorque, @sexercise, @Sprockrooster, @strangekin)
    Lowest Scorer: 4 x 1 (@HeartSwells)

just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmmm.

That record saved my life. I was in such a dark space in New York. I was so depressed, always in a bar. I got on a plane to LA to do my music and was given one shot to write the song that would change my life and I did. I never went back. I left behind my boyfriend, my apartment. I still haven't been back. My mother went in and cleared it for me.

just dance, spin that record babe, da da doo-doo-mmmm

Everyone is looking for a song that really speaks to the joy in our souls and in our hearts and having a good time. It's just one of those records. It feels really good, and when you listen to it, it makes you feel good inside. It's as simple as that. I don't think it's rocket science when it comes to the heart. I think it's a heart theme song.

I've been sat here for two hours trying to think of what to write. So please bear with me if it doesn't seem immediately relevant; there is a point, I promise. Earlier this year I was asked about my favourite Taylor Swift lyric. To the dismay of a certain poster (who shall remain nameless mayonnaise), I replied: "it's like I've got this music in my mind, saying "it's gonna be alright." So simple, yet so evocative of my relationship with music. Reading those quotes from Lady Gaga, it immediately struck me how Just Dance hits this same aching chord. You may be hurting, you may be overwhelmed, you may want to give up, but for four minute and twenty seconds just dance. You're gonna be okay (da da doo-doo-mmm).

@Animalia (10) has a confession: "I can't believe my ignorant, uninitiated early teen self dismissed this as talentless trash when it first made it big. This is Pop Songwriting 101. And that insane second middle-eight/breakdown/whatever it is remains life-affirming." We accept your apology. Actual teenager @constantino (10) is you, but stronger: "ICONIC. That intro still does things to me, I love the muffled synth effect. This is so fucking cheap and dated, as is the video, but it is all amazing. It’s amazing to see Gaga with such limited resources; she had all the ideas but none of the budget or contacts to pull it off…compare the messy DIY video to the Poker Face and it’s just…wow. That being said, this is still one of her very best and I love her vocals here. I remember seeing this on MTV for the first time and telling all my flop friends that she was the next big popstar…" @DJHazey (10): also submitted an essay: "Still have no fucking clue who Colby O'Donis is and I don't care. Anywho, this was my introduction to the Queen as it probably was for everyone else. Damn, she still rides each and every beat like she was born to throughout those verses and they are so fun to sing along to because of it. It really gets you into the zone, I'm telling ya. The middle-eight is still off the hook, especially when she demands that you "use your muscle...". You can tell she was having fun becoming a bonified popstar during this era and the infectious "do-do-dos" help remind me just how fun the music was too. "

@Kyle. (6) has no soul: "I was never hugely taken with Just Dance. It's fine and all, but Poker Face is where it's at." Neither does @Filler (7): "It's no Americano, but it's a start." I wonder if @iheartpoptarts (7) will regret this score now: "Tacky but fun." Forgetful alien @Laura Vanderbooben (8) did indeed vote in this rate: "It's good but she's done way, way better." I need to have a word with @wackseed (8): "This is such a solid song, even though it often gets forgotten in light of Gaga's later, more...colorful hits/appearances/ensembles. It's not revolutionary (that'll come later), but it is a legitimate bop." @SuperNerd (8): "I love me some Gaga, but I don't think this has aged very well. *hides*" I'm not that scary, I promise. @br0dy (10) swims with the consensus: "Her subsequent releases have overshadowed it a bit, but still a solid bop."

@Plethorya (7): "Still can’t get over how dark this song is- this girl’s trashed and panicking. Shame Colby had to be here though." In the words of a different PJ songstress, it's always darkest before the dawn. Hey, @Lost In Japan. (8) and I are getting back in harmony!: ""Just dance, gonna be okay” is SUCH a good hook." @evilsin (9) rejoices: "I can't sit straight whenever this plays." @Sprockrooster (10) has questions: "What is left to say about the euphoric debut song from a phenomenal break out star? The lyric 'What Is The Name Of This Club' is my fave." Actually, quite a lot. For instance, @K94 (10): "What a debut. It sounded and she looked like absolutely nothing in the charts at the time and it was a total breath of fresh air. Hooks galore and Colby earns his $10 fee here." @Remorque (10): "Though Poker Face made a bigger impact over here than this, the good schwests of PopJustice made sure I was fully aware of this one and it’s definitely made a lasting impression on me. She was just such a fabulous and exciting new artist to me and I probably listened to this over 150 times in the weekend I first heard this.Still would. Still could. Bop." @sexercise (10) is simple but sweet: "No commentary needed."

@A$AP Robbie (11) references the greatest lyric of the 00s (yes, I said it @Ironheade): "Genuinely quite life-changing for me, I don't think I'd be who I am without this record existing. Poor Colby O'Donnis though, the Don Phillip of two-thousand-and-late." @Pinkladyisf (11): "I loved Lady Gaga at this time! She was so cool to me.This video is one of the reasons why I started listening to David Bowie more. I'd play this song over and over all night just dancing in my room! "

5. Wow, what a tragedy. I mean we really are dealing with 5 of the absolute best songs of this time period, but this still stings a bit.

ohnostalgia and Remorque like this.
  6. I was sure I gave this a 10... nope, seems not. It probably could have got one, though. Great song. Just dance, it'll be OK. (Watching the video, I was quite shocked at Gaga's outfit. Why, she looks almost... normal!)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. Just Dance is so 2008/9 but it's also such a bop. The opening synths blare in the club and I nearly dislocate my head rushing from the bar to the floor.

8. These are the three worst songs left though.

9. Excuse your mouth!?

ohnostalgia and Remorque like this.
  10. KAG

KAG

'Just Dance' is catchy but I've never been enamoured with it. 'LoveGame' and 'Paparazzi' were the best singles that era.

11. K94

K94

Before Poker Face? Not on my Popjustice.

12. When I saw the tag, I actually shouted NO at my laptop.

It is quite interesting looking back how normal she was sold as at the very beginning, and how quickly that changed.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. @ohnostalgia, girl, you're absolutely fucking right... In my praise I forgot to praise that fantastic outro. Takes me there, if you get my jist... And can we talk about the video real quick? I mean... I think this was when Timbaland came on my radar... Him in that vest? Hmmmm. The only things that kinda irk me is that Nelly can't dance for shit, in the blue backdrop it seems like she's dancing up her young cousin and Keri fucking Hilson making a little appearance at the end.

AND IT STILL SHOULD HAVE MADE THE FUCKING TOP 5! @Posh Spears, sis... I feel you.

And after the disappointment of seeing Promiscuous at number 7, you say goodbye to poor old Leona at number 6? I really shouldn't be this disappointed, but I've listened to it again whilst reading all of your commentary and it still is a fucking triumph... Let's all wail the outro in honour of it being boosted out, sistren.

AND WHAT THE FUCK AT THE ORIGINAL VERSION... Jesse, sis...

To top it all of Just Dance (which I thought and expected to win, being quite the underdog here) goes out at #5.

All of the top 7 were 10s for me (with my 11 going top 5), but Just Dance was just SUCH a moment for me at the time. I was kinda going through a rough patch and I remember hearing the song and just listening to it for a whole weekend on end. I even got the DJ at a festival I went to to spin it a few times during his sessions that weekend. It always kinda took me to a feeling where I just had to spin a dance song and be taken elsewhere and that was just what I needed... That's why she's still so special to me after all these years. Her own interpretation and yours, @ohnostalgia, are spot on and personal, but both of them talk to a whole generation of people like me.

AND YOU FUCKING THROW IT OUT BEFORE POKER FACE I CAN'T.

14. I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ at this sounding like Mama Gaga went in and cleared the boyfriend out of the apartment too.

Deleted member 21339 likes this.
  15. I really did love Gaga in the early days. I think all the "Look at me, I'm so art" business that came after kind of put me off her, good music or not.

I miss the days when I was happily bopping away to 'Summerboy' without a clue as to who or what Lady Gaga was.

16. I loved "The Fame" and still do now. The first time I heard "Just Dance" I was so excited! One of my favorite songs still to this day!

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  17. Summerboy is a masterpiece.

18. Summerboy, Poker Face, The Fame, LoveGame, Just Dance, Paparazzi, and Starstruck are still all 10s to me.

19. Let's not forget about Boys Boys Boys!

20. I love it, but find hard to sing along to, I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.