The US #1s of the 2000s Rate (Part 2: 2005-2009 - Your #1 Is...) | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

The US #1s of the 2000s Rate (Part 2: 2005-2009 - Your #1 Is...)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, May 22, 2016.

1. Sing it to @Alouder98.

2. I'd very much like to be removed from this narrative. He's my rival (for your affection) and good forum friend, not part of your fantasies. Kii.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  3. Trying not to giggle! I meant it in a bromance way. Gosh how very dare you.

[​IMG]

DJHazey likes this.
  4. Who could forget her iconic first network TV performance:

aaronhansome and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.

5. I love singing along to it to deeply confuse people who are all worried about things.

Deleted member 21339 and DJHazey like this.
  6. Oh don't get me wrong, I have still been known to sing along to it. I'll sing out loud to any song anywhere around anyone without two fucks given...I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

No post tonight, I'm just too tired.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Apologies for last night.

Please don't kill me.

This isn't my fault.

[​IMG]

#4. We Belong Together (9.083)

Weeks at #1: 14 non-consecutive
    Highest Scorers: 11 x 4 (@beyoncésweave, @MollieSwift21, @ohdenny, @Remorque) 10 x 22 (@Conan, @constantino, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @evilsin, @GhettoPrincess, @Jeffo, @KAG, @K94, @Laura Vanderbooben, @Lost In Japan., @LPMA, @Mikl C, @Number, @ohnostalgia, @Pinkieshy, @Pinkladyisf, @Plethorya, @Posh Spears, @Robsolete, @sexercise, @Sprockrooster, @strangekin)
    Lowest Scorers: 3 x 1 (@Filler), 4 x 1 (@HeartSwells), 4.5 x 1 (@wackseed) #Pray4Them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHAT A TREMENDOUS, TOWERING, TRIUMPHANT MOMENT. FROM THE GORGEOUS PIANO TO THE ANCHORING KICKS AND HI-HATS TO THE LYRICAL PASTICHES TO THAT FINAL OCTAVE DEFYING CHORUS, MARIAH TAKES US TO CHURCH AND PUTS A PRAISE ON IT. Not content with ruining all other songs for us, she also delivers a deliciously melodramatic video, serving look upon look. She also blessed us with bonus Wentworth Miller. We are truly not worthy. AND ANOTHER THING. She did all this when the majority of the USA viewed her as a laughing stock. Chart records, airplay records, platinum records, Billboard #1 Song of the Decade, Grammy award winner. A comeback for the ages. Bow down.

Let's deal with our performance artists first, giving them as much attention as they deserve. @Filler (3): "Are you sure this was really a big hit and it's not just Mariah going back and editing her Wikipedia discography page? I don't remember ever hearing this before, except in as much as I've heard every other Mariah song this is indistinguishable from." Really. Not to be outdone, we have @wackseed (4.5): "Listen, I have nothing but respect for Mariah and what she can do with her voice, but this song is so...bland for me. It just feels like a basic boudoir song. " Really. @br0dy (6): "It's very well done, it's just not my thing." Really. @DJHazey (7): "I like this song, it's one of her best in my opinion, and yes that's a 7." Yawn.

Okay, that unnecessary unpleasantness is done. Time to pay our respects. @iheartpoptarts (9): "I wasn’t quite as obsessed with this as the rest of the world, but Mariah being everywhere again made my life." I'm curious what was your fave song on her comeback? @constantino (10): "A very rare 10 for Mariah here. Sure, the production is as dull and uninspiring as ever, but the vocal melody is stunning and the chorus is divine. Nice one, Mimi!" Okay, thank you. @KAG (10) shovels the praise: "One of the best comeback singles ever, it's absolutely gorgeous and exemplifies exactly why Mariah is in her a league of her own as a vocalist and a songwriter. I love the last chorus when she really lets rip, makes the song even more powerful and emotional." @Posh Spears (10) is overwhelmed: "Flawless, heartbreaking masterpiece." You tell em, @Sprockrooster (10): "The most iconic ballad of the 00's. Period." @sexercise (10): "Will anyone ever have a comeback this excellent?" No. @K94 (10): sums it up in two words: "a powerhouse." @evilsin (10): "Now this is a masterpiece, Mariah deserved this #1 for sure." A few of you singled out the finale: @Plethorya (10): "That last chorus is loneliness and desperation given form. Incredible." And @Conan (10): "When she belts out the chorus at the end, that is my favourite part. It cuts deep and the desperation is palpable." @strangekin (10) is all of us:

[​IMG]

Time to turn it over to our eleven givers. @Conan: "Most of my 11’s have been bops but this is pretty much the perfect ballad and hasn’t dated one bit. The last minute just takes it to another place. Although we’re not rating it, the remix is great. I loved when artists reworked songs." @Remorque: "This was a career re-defining return to form for her, it’s definitely a classic. Throughout the song she gives a fantastic performance and that climax… Oh, boy. Everybody, let’s go: "

[​IMG]

I could only give the last word to @beyoncésweave, who dropped this stunning masterpiece in my mailbox earlier this week: "There are some pop moments that, as they are happening, you just know you will relive with greater affection much later, long after their immediacy has faded. And so it was when We Belong Together appeared and began its massive, all conquering reign. Listening to it then, the fact that it was a masterfully made pop song was undeniable, and I knew this would ensure its remarkable longevity. The production is perfect, from the tinkling, AC-radio chords to the persistent piano, and complements the fantastic, watertight lyrics, which run from references to Bobby Womack(!) and Babyface; to wonderfully evocative radio imagery on the second verse; to one of my favourite lyrical moments in pop music ever in “this song ain’t even half of what I’m feeling inside”. And across it all is Mariah’s voice, controlled and in command, until it explodes into a furious flurry of belting that never overstays its welcome. It all comes together as a perfectly paced and crafted song, where Mariah’s signature rapid-fire delivery runs slightly ahead of you clocking it, so you’re left with a dazed, overwhelmed and gorgeously enveloped feeling, finely concordant with the song’s wistful, longing regret. It signalled, in the most emphatic way possible, the return to pop of one of its greatest stars. It was such a beautifully, warm rush to see her back at her dominant best, and that golden, delightful haze has, for me, lasted all throughout that decade and up until now."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Your Top Three:​

[​IMG]

10. I don't know her.

11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Mariah is always done wrong with rates on here.

12. Me and my big mouth. We Belong Together is absolutely fantastic!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  13. Did I really give this a 10? Huh. Maybe I'm finally warming up to Mariah or something.

14. Hmm this should have been top 3 at least. One of my favourite Mariah songs and doesn't ever get old.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

You sure did.

16. Umbrella will be out next. I personally am rooting for a Poker Face win but I think Say It Right is probably the right winner.

17. This should've duked it out with Umbrella for the top spot.

18. I worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies.

Nah, but really. A 9 from me - but I've got three 10s left, so whateva'.

LPMA likes this.
  19. That Oprah performance is hilarious thanks to Oprah herself not knowing the words.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.