The Voice - U.S. | The Popjustice Forum

The Voice - U.S.

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mvnl, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I realize noone on here will watch this show because it's only just started in the Netherlands, but I can see the concept being bought by some other countries..

In short: the jury can't see the contestants, only hear them, and when they feel they want to be the coach of what they're hearing, they press a button and get to see the contestant.
    If more than one judge turns around the contestant gets to pick who (s)he likes as his or her coach...

When it comes down to the excitement of a contestant once the chairs turn, it's really all about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXudr1kdX0

Though I personally really enjoyed these auditions too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JV5wjecIg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omIaU5l9VDc

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

3. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

I love this concept! The chair turning is fantastic and Sarina seems like such a star. This would work really well on Sky1 over in the UK.

4. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

Oh My God, that's Shemsi! She had a single 11 years ago in Germany. I don't think it was a hit, though.
    However, I really hope they don't bring it to Germany. We've got more than enough of these shows (currently 3 are running, and we had another 2 earlier this year), but I guess that's what youtube is for.

5. Charley

Charley Moderator

Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

It's basically Dragon's Den meets talent show!

I've been meaning to follow this online since it started, but still haven't gotten round to it.

I love that Raffaƫla, who you may remember from me posting her band Monroe, is having another shot too!

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

7. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

This is such a great concept.

8. Charley

Charley Moderator

Yes! Belgium is the first country to buy the format!

It'll only start in 2012 though, as they're going ahead with the already planned Idool 2011 first!

9. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Moderator

It's a clever concept.

I would argue that detaching looks from talent in a pop star contest like X Factor is impossible, as image is a crucial 'part of the package' - but I guess if the shows lays out very clearly that it is a SINGING contest by calling itself 'The Voice', then I suppose it makes sense not to judge the image at all.

The Dragon's Den similarities are interesting.

However, from what I've read about the show - once it gets to the live stages, it becomes a pretty basic talent show, where the 'Voices' are styled and sing and dance like in X Factor/Idol and the judges can see exatcly what's going on. So suddenly the show does a u-turn and the visuals of a performance do become important.

It's a shame that the show doesn't remain consistant in terms of it's purpose through-out the entire series.

10. Charley

Charley Moderator

I definitely see your point.

As for the first step, something that hasn't been pointed out yet is that there are no 'comedy' auditions. From the very start it's made clear that all auditionees have already survived a number of casting rounds and that some of them have been scouted from gigs etc.

I guess what they're going for is to make sure they have 'the voices' first and then the live shows are there to find the best popstar out of the best voices.

Though I have to say you can tell that for a part they're still kind of making this up as they go along. For example, when the show turned out to be huge they added a second host (the woman who already co-hosts Dutch X Factor with the original host) and started looking into a concert venue to broadcast the final out of.

PS: The no 'point and laugh' auditions makes me think this might be a good format if the BBC were ever to attempt another talent show. Am I making this up or was part of the reason they went for Fame Academy back in the day, apart from it obviously being the second biggest still available talent show format around then, that they didn't want 'freakshow' auditions?

11. Charley

Charley Moderator

Oh and by the way, after each live show the songs are available on iTunes. Unlike American Idol's, for example, they are chart eligible. This means that the runaway favourite, Ben Saunders, is set to top the charts this week, before the season is even over!

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Only a selection though, unfortunately (guess something to do with the rights of the songs?).

I have to admit, for a show that's supposed to be all about the voice, they didn't really preselect any ugly people with amazing voices though..

13. Charley

Charley Moderator

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

He'll probably win this thing, and I hate having an overhyped and overobvious winner...
    It's Jaap all over again.
    I'm also sad all the best candidates are in one team.

15. Charley

Charley Moderator

Let's hope his second single is better than Jaap's follow-up song!

16. Charley

Charley Moderator

The live show studio versions will be released on a double CD together!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't get how Simon Cowell never released X Factor: Greatest Moments albums. Super cheap to make and an easy sell.

17. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

NBC have bought the format and will be airing The Voice Of America, starting next spring. It seems awfully quick.

18. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

For the sake of America I hope they change the format's biggest flaw: the fact a candidate of every team leaves each week.. Over here one team had pretty much all the greatest singers, and they leave over some of the terrible ones in other teams.

19. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

Carson Daly has just been annouced as the host of the American version of The Voice.
    http://bit.ly/e8IBk5

Most auditions and callbacks for various cities have concluded with only LA (today) and Seattle (Feb 11) left.

http://nbcthevoice.com/

20. Re: The Voice (another twist on Idol/X-factor etcetera...)

Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine to judge The Voice!!

Wow... Looks promising!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.