The Weeknd - After Hours / SBLV Halftime Show | Page 54 | The Popjustice Forum

The Weeknd - After Hours / SBLV Halftime Show

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Nov 26, 2019.

1. The way even he still bagged a nomination after literally pissing on a Grammy and posting a video of it not even 3 months ago.

2. Them mentioning the Superbowl in the statement feels weird...

We would have loved to nominate his excellent album. We would have loved to have him perform. Well, what didn't click??? Hmm.

tea, sesita, SMG and 9 others like this.
  3. This album has been everywhere. I didn't even know Coldplay had had an album out. And I thought Justin disappeared into purgatory after Yummy *vom*. Even my freaking Mom was sending me links to songs from After Hours earlier in the year.

Racism / Awards equivalent of payola - plain and simple.

At least we have the Superbowl.

4. Yeah but the 2017 Superbowl was on February 5 and the Grammys were after on February 12.

kingbm likes this.
  5. I was going to say although Abel shouldn't have to choose between Grammy Awards or his Pepsi / NFL Half-Time Show cheque, the latter is the better option, but then I discovered that artists aren't paid to play the Super Bowl Half-Time Show.

lushLuck and dodoriazarbon like this.
  6. He should go to a rival network and put on a show called the Weekndys to hemmorage even more viewers away from the Grammys dddd

7. It is as simple as this. When most (white) male pop stars have a campaign for an album they get away with the absolute bare minimum. Unlike female pop stars who are expected to deliver something huge. The Weeknd gave us a true Big Pop Girl campaign. He gave us numerous visuals and performances. After Hours has an 80 on metacritic and Blinding Lights has broken records. Meanwhile notably terrible human Justin Bieber has gotten numerous nominations for his poorly received and performing “music”. He also has the audacity to complain about being nominated for the pop categories and not RnB. However, because The Weeknd doesn’t fit into the grammys preconceived notion of what a black artist looks and sounds like they snub him. The Weeknd's snubs are honestly baffling and I smell a huge whiff of racism coming from the grammys.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Sam, LTG and 31 others like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The way the Grammys just cannot help but embarrass themselves with their archaic...everything. Ecstatic for my faves getting their recognition but the ceremony just loses any sort of relevancy and meaning every single year.

spaceship, tea, Andy French and 11 others like this.
  9. Makes you wonder if Taylor or Dua did that...

10. Coldplay’s album coming out over a year ago... hmm.

11. Billboard did a write up, supposedly clarifying the whole voting process:

They also posted a short Q&A from Harvey Mason Jr. It’s the way they won’t even bother trying to come up with something beyond “he didn’t get the votes” for me:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...ason-jr-responds-the-weeknd-the-grammys-tweet

Sail On, lushLuck and Dreampopboy like this.
  12. I can maybe accept the pop/R&B fuckery but him failing to get any nominations in the general categories is a travesty and a blatant sign some fuckery went on behind the scenes.

heavymetalGAGA, -M-, Bobbyrae and 3 others like this.
  13. I don't disagree with moving him to pop categories. Blinding Light is unquestionably a pop song.

Sam, Laurence, godspeed and 8 others like this.
  14. Any chance this could be part of some weird strategy to get people talking about the Grammys?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. They can’t really afford the negative press, considering they were exposed by their own (former) chief for corruption and racial bias earlier this year

16. To be fair he did submit Blinding Lights for pop, it was Heartless that was submitted in the R&B categories:

spaceship, tea and lushLuck like this.
  17. Their statement basically admitted they were petty assholes who wanted their cake and and eat it too cause why parade around the word “excellence” only to mention the Super Bowl in the second sentence? Idiots.

spaceship likes this.
  18. RMK

RMK

Scream. Someone else needs to write their press releases. Why mention the Super Bowl? It only makes everything look worse for them.

This is clown behavior. If they at least threw him a nod in the big four, or at all, they would not be in this position. You really cannot look back on music in 2020 and, at the very least, avoid Blinding Lights or his name entirely.

19. For the Super Bowl halftime show, please can Abel can wear a Harvey Mason Jr version of this? -

[​IMG]

Andy French, lushLuck and djmakemewet like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.