The Weeknd - After Hours / SBLV Halftime Show | Page 62 | The Popjustice Forum

The Weeknd - After Hours / SBLV Halftime Show

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Nov 26, 2019.

1. So excited about Save Your Tears becoming a single, it’s my favorite from the album. I heard it on the radio yesterday and it sounded amazing.

2. I'm obsessed about everything on this campaign, he keeps delivering punch after punch without one single misstep. A complete triumph (which comes as a double shock since it's from a male popstar!!)

3. Oh we got a Pepsi deal

4. Pepsi always sponsors the Halftime Show now, but it’s nice to see they actually spent money on some promo.

kingbm likes this.
  5. Absolutely need to buy tickets to see him before the Super Bowl but these shows won’t happen this year so what is the point

6. After the video I'm confident in putting Save Your Tears in my Weeknd top 10.

Wicked Games
    Morning
    The Hills
    High For This
    Tell Your Friends
    Acquainted
    Reminder
    Wasted Times
    In Your Eyes
    Save Your Tears

Much as I adore all three of the mixtapes, House of Balloons really was his masterpiece up until After Hours which now sits comfortably next to it. There's a lot of excellent material between Beauty Behind the Madness and Starboy but neither quite comes together like After Hours. Kiss Land remains his weakest effort but gets a bit too hard of a time in my opinion.

An Insider, tea, spaceship and 6 others like this.
  7. After Hours is the perfect culmination of someone hungry for more stepping out of their comfort zone and stepping up, becoming an even better artist than before. His growth has been incredible, and the way he's managed to finally deliver an album that balances his two sides without sacrificing anything from either has been amazing to consume and witness as a fan. Like, we've truly been beyond spoiled at this point and there's still more to come. It's rare that an artist gives such an experience of an era – period, let alone a male artist. I cannot wait to see what he's come up with next.

Sam, dylanaber, Dreampopboy and 24 others like this.
  8. I saw a rumor that supposedly his halftime set will be longer than 12 minutes?

9. I think people might be misunderstanding this quote from the Pepsi rep:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/super-bowl-commercials-pepsi-soda-halftime-show-weeknd-1234881117/

They were just talking about building an interactive ad campaign leading up the performance itself.

10. Save Your Tears is already #44 on the Spotify Global chart and the video has 25 million views in 4 days.

Get that post-album smash Abel.

11. I'm so happy to see Save Your Tears smash. What a song. If we're seeing these increases already then I'm guessing the Superbowl will send it to #1. A nice 'fuck you' to the Grammys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  12. I can’t remember if they sent anything else beyond “In Your Eyes” to radio, but I’m glad a single finally seems to be stepping outside of “Blinding Lights” shadow. Especially this song considering what the video is about – it’s the ultimate fuck you to the Recording Academy.

upu, happiestgirl, jtm and 4 others like this.
  13. Honestly, I don't get this mentality at all. I've had shows cancelled in the past for reasons such as the artist losing their voice, health concerns, the venue flooding on the day, "scheduling conflicts" (see: poor ticket sales) and "logistical issues" (see: horrifying ticket sales). The risk of cancellation or postponement is always there, it's just considerably higher at the moment.

Worst case scenario, you get your money back. Second worst, you have something to look forward to in 2022, and God knows we all need something to look forward to.

BelievixStar likes this.
  14. It still feels incredibly unjust that this incredible body of work is getting absolutely no recognition from the organisation that supposedly represents the pinnacle of musical achievement, recognition, and celebration.

I genuinely cannot remember another occasion where a male artist has committed so whole-heartedly and extensively to every single facet of an era. The music, the visuals, the social media strategy - all of it perfectly executed, during a global pandemic. Yet nothing? Not even one nomination. It's gross.

Not to mention the fact that "Blinding Lights" is easily one of the, if not the, defining song of 2020. I don't think there are many people who haven't heard the song at least half a dozen times thanks to its viral TikTok challenge.

It's a complete failure of the Recording Academy not to recognise both this incredible artist and this incredible era, given everything he has put into his art and the critical and commercial success it has enjoyed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  15. tea

tea

Whew what a top 10! And that's not even factoring in some stellar features, or including these:

16. In a way I wish he had kept Secrets for this album and have it smash the way it should rightfully have.

Conan, RossMusik, Nephilim and 7 others like this.
  17. Secrets is great, but I remember someone pointing out on release day that it sounds like it samples Steps' Heartbeat and I could never unhear it.

Also it unfortunately leads into the awful True Colours, which may be the worst song of his career.

18. Honestly, the best accidental consequence of COVID has been the sustained investment in some of the big album campaigns of last year. The Weeknd, Dua Lipa and Harry Styles really proved that the album campaign does not have to die in release week. I think not being able to tour has been part of it, but obviously, Abel clearly had a very strong vision for this album and I'm so glad he's been able to realise this fully through his videos and TV performances. I've not felt this satisfied and fed by a male popstar in a long time.

luluthecat, Sam, Hyrulian and 15 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.