The Weeknd - After Hours | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

The Weeknd - After Hours

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Nov 26, 2019.

1. RJF

RJF

I don't know. Everything he's doing is well done, but it's tired as hell. The music, the Tarantino-esque stylised violence of the imagery. I can't fault it on a technical level but I don't think I've seen an artist go this long and remain so successful while being creatively static at the same time.

2. But Blinding Lights is new territory for him sonically, for the most part so I don't understand how he's creatively static.

girlsaloudjunkie likes this.
  3. RJF

RJF

Sis... it's basically just "False Alarm" from the last album.

4. aux

aux

Blinding Lights isn't new territory for him. It's literally this song.

ñnn @RJF beat me to it

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. I did say "for the most part" but the synth work in Blinding Lights is enough for me to feel the songs aren't THAT similar. False Alarm is a whole damn riot while Blinding is way tamer and in my opinion better anyway.

6. I’m okay with him fully embracing the heavier synths here. Blinding Lights is reminiscent of False Alarm but I also feel like False Alarm was by far the most brash cut on Starboy. Delving further into that across an album the way he’s shown on the two leads here is enough progression for me.

Mr Blonde, tea and TheDangerZone like this.
  7. I think the main issue is he’s lyrically stagnating. It’s the same themes and subject matter and perspective again and again.

I love both songs and it’s enough for me that he’a playing around sonically and visually but it’s not a stretch to say there’s some degree of stagnation

8. Blinding Lights is such a bop ugh. When it started playing at the club last night people were cheering but I'm not sure if it was because they thought A-ha's "Take On Me" had started dd.

Anyway, ready for Megastarboy.

9. Blinding Lights hit the number 1 spot on the U.K. Top 40 yesterday. Pop Justice indeed.

10. This and Physical could share the top 2 spots in every single worldwide chart for the rest of the year and I wouldn't mind it one damn bit.

neinzedd, Robert, lushLuck and 4 others like this.
  11. Blinding Lights is a great track indeed, Physical is very much in the same vein but strangely doesn't do much for me. I heard them back to back on the radio the other day and I have to say that Physical felt a bit insipid.

12. RMK

RMK

giphy-8.gif

13. The autocorrect on this forum is a killer girls!

14. The album is called After Hours

15. I fully hadn’t heard anything from him in ages / thought about him but my spin class has been blasting Blinding Lights and I’ve getting my SWEATY ass LIFE. Bop!

Verandi, Aidan and Bslg17 like this.
  16. The title is giving me mixtape teas at the very least.

17. I hope the music will match the visuals.

18. Insert @RJF post criticising everything being...the same.

Eel_Ssab and spaceship like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.