The Winner's Gonna Take It All: The final...

D

Deleted member 312

I think I may have been a bit shady with my 4 for Lovesong. The verses are pretty lovely, quite Carpenters-esque. But the chorus is indisputably annoying...

D

Deleted member 26234

Oh no, I really, really have liked this song since I was a kid and still do. And @Remorque I did not forget about a certain classic, just don't like it that much ;-).

He/Him

'...Gonna be, gonna be with you baby every single night... I can teach you how to rock all right... Your sweet lover, honey, that's what I wanna be...'
- Björn Ulvaeus in Rock Me -

abba-rock-me-polar.jpg

Frida's iconic leopard skin leotard... Yath.

Average: 5.7717
Highest score: 2 *
10.0 - @Gotnomoretosay @idratherjack (kii...)
Lowest score: 3 * 1.00 - @AGiantSheep @DJHazey @P'NutButter
My score: 6.50

Our last song to not break the 6.00 average leaves us at #76. Yes, that means the complete top 75 has a 6+ average, which is quite impressive if you ask me...

Recorded in 1974 and released a year later as a track on the self-titled, it was originally the b-side to I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do. After that single reached no. 1 in Australia and New Zealand, the record company smelled dem coinz and it was subsequently re-released as a stand-alone single over there, becoming a big hit in its own right...

Björn's on the lead again and he's really feeling his wannabe-rock-star oats here. The other three members join him in harmony during the chorus, but something sounds a little bit off on this one and it can get quite irritating after repeated listens to these ears... It's definitely not a favourite of mine off ABBA, but something keeps me from giving it a lower score...

Poor ol' connoisseur of the genre Sprockrooster is quite clear, deciding "NO. This does not deserve the word 'rock' in the title. Blasphemy!". Calm down, sis. It's just a little early ditty that should have gone a lot earlier, but hey ho.

Mina thinks it sounds "Cacophonous.", so he's not a fan and with him is Mikey1701 who finds it's "so basic and the quality of the audio makes me think that this is a demo rather than a finished product. And to top it off, it sounds like it could have come straight off the Ring Ring album. If they wanted to revisit that sound, why couldn’t they have tried to replicate the sound of the title track (again).". I don't really think this sounds like anything on Ring Ring though, sis. Maybe a bit Waterloo-era-ish though, but do you.

SecretsOfFatima thinks "The version/verse/demo sung by Agnetha would’ve been better if finished in my opinion, but I still enjoy the released version. I can’t believe that they shoehorned this non-single into their only two world tours. Stubborn icons.". I think it's strange this one was included as I'm having trouble believing all four members loved this one that much...
The demo isn't really very good either though:

This was included as a part of ABBA Undeleted. Agnetha sounds dreadful if you ask me...
One Stop Candy Shop admits he's "Still waiting for that NSFW version called F*** Me.". You called it, we thought it!

While we're talking of sounding dreadful, some of you weren't here for another Björn vocal, especially one where he's doing a bit tew much.
bichard thinks this "Clearly predates Bjorn's acceptance of the fact that he was never going to be a rock star. Oh dear…" and TrueBeliever finds it's "Memorable in the worst way: from Bjorn’s faux growl to the girls’ thin vocals.". I wouldn't call them thin, just a bit drowned out...

Someone who was a fan was WhatKindOfKylie?. (Shocking, I know...)
"Bjorn's lead vocal on this is quite raw and energetic, and perhaps helps what would otherwise be a rather simple melody come alive, and sounds especially good on live recordings. The two girls on backing vocals sound fab as ever too of course.".
Sis...

Others were reminded of different bands when listening to Rock Me.
CasperFan calls it "One of their more successful rock songs-more pop-rock I guess (not too keen on the Slade sounding verses).". I can totes hear it...
Two are mentioned by constantino, as he thinks "This is one of those times where they end up sounding like Wizzard...and I’m not mad about it. It’s nowhere as good as One Direction’s Rock Me, mind.". I get the Wizzard reference, but I'd have to listen to the other one you mentioned as I don't even have a notion of how the One Direction song sounds...

idratherjack is one of our two 10-givers and confesses he thinks this is "Another new discovery, this is a bop!". You already gave out 10 (ten!!!!!!!) zeroes, but you'd consider this one to be among their best work? Okay.

Filippa concurs, saying it has a "Good melody, very positive – I love it.".
"Oh my God..." indeed.

A weird little confession comes from Hudweiser... "As a kid I couldn't be sure if the girls were singing particularly low or the boys particularly high. I was obsessed with it for a while (it was on GHV2 amidst all the other post-Arrival stuff so sounded really different). Now, it's just alright.". It was kinda strange that this one was included on that compilation...

Meanwhile, VivaForever's firm and short, dismissing it with an "I'll pass thanks.".

This could have been used as the official video:

Last edited:
He/Him
As previously mentioned, this was performed on both of their world tours.
Here's the version used in ABBA: The Movie when they performed it in Australia in 1977...

...and it was recently released as part of the Live at Wembley live album from when they performed there in 1979.

The British pop/glam rock singer Brendon released a version of the song in 1977, but it failed to make any impact on the charts though...

And German eurodance group E-Rotic covered the song for their 1997 ABBA tribute album Thank You for the Music...

Kinda bopping to be honest.

D

Deleted member 312

I've always been perplexed by the decision to release Rock Me as a single in Australia. Sure, they were massive and needed an inbetweener single (a la Gaga's Eh Eh), but who in the world would choose this over Bang-A-Boomerang? Whether you think the latter is better or not (it is), it cannot be disputed that it's much closer to the previous three mega-hits there, especially I Do X infinity. It has the female vocal and the beginnings of that trademark ABBA sound, plus it has the fucking word boomerang in the title!! What were they thinking?!

@Remorque My comment about the demo version has been labelled as Hudweiser's commentary here.
On topic, I'm low-key pressed that this left, it's a bop that I often find myself returning to but never immediately picking out as a favourite track.

D

Deleted member 26234

I totally understand why they liked playing it live. It's because of the up-beat rhythm and the cheerful melody. It's one of the - in my opinion really few - ABBA-songs where you can easily dance along and so they caught the audience. When I watch "ABBA - The Movie" this song - along with "Why Did It Have To Be Me" - conveys a very good feeling. That feeling when you lose yourself to the music of a really good rock or pop concert.

I read that it wasn't so much released in Aus as the radio just started playing it and it did a Rivers of Babylon / Brown Girl in the Ring rebound up the charts due to national obsession.

In other news, Ed Sheeran has equalled Fernando's record for most weeks spent at #1 in Australia with his song Shape Of You (14 weeks each). One more week and he takes the record...

he/him
I've been waiting for Rock Me to leave for a quite a while. I don't think have very many super low scores left.

The only early song that should go soon is Disillusion. I also wouldn't really be too upset whenever Waterloo leaves, but that's probably not happening for a while.

Song to go next:

My Love, My Life
Why Did It Have To Be Me?
Arrival
Thank You For The Music
I Wonder (Departure)
As Good As New
Does Your Mother Know
Ardante, Ardante
Our Last Summer
The Way Old Friends Do
Like An Angel Passing Through A Room
Under Attack

They're all pretty much 5-6, so don't come for me.

D

Deleted member 312

I've been waiting for Rock Me to leave for a quite a while. I don't think have very many super low scores left.

The only early song that should go soon is Disillusion. I also wouldn't really be too upset whenever Waterloo leaves, but that's probably not happening for a while.

Song to go next:

My Love, My Life
Why Did It Have To Be Me?
Arrival
Thank You For The Music
I Wonder (Departure)
As Good As New
Does Your Mother Know
Ardante, Ardante
Our Last Summer
The Way Old Friends Do
Like An Angel Passing Through A Room
Under Attack

They're all pretty much 5-6, so don't come for me.

I was agreeing until you got to the Voulez cuts. Especially As Good As New. It's phenomenal.