The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. The song that's getting my 11 wouldn't have got it in the rate either (I didn't take part in that particular rate but it wouldn't have been my 11, would've easily snagged a 10 though.

2. Look I don't expect Runaway With Me to win because let's be honest, the songs in this rate are amazing and great competition, but if it doesn't get top 5 then ya'll are lying!

evilsin, myblood, constantino and 6 others like this.
  3. CRUEL SUMMER | BANANARAMA
    THE BANANARAMA DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @VivaForever

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Venus
    2nd Runner Up: A Trick of the Night

I was lowkey worried that I wouldn't like @VivaForever's rate winner, but turns out I already knew it and it is a B O P! Yes, Cruel Summer is part of that magical "oldies" soundtrack that you hear on the radio all the time so it becomes part of your musical subconscious without your permission. Or does that only happen to me? ANYWAYS, I added Cruel Summer to my Apple Music today because it has an iconic chorus and I love the way these ladies sing "it's a cruel - (cruel!) - cruel summer."

Let's share some #edgy trivia from @VivaForever: "Oh, I do have some trivia, courtesy of Songfacts. According to Siobhan, the reason their acting is so manic in the video is that some scenes were shot before their lunch break, while others were shot afterward - and in the meanwhile, they'd done cocaine for the first time, courtesy of dockworkers they'd met at the tavern."

4. Cruel Summer is so amazing.

I've continued scoring the songs today, and the lowest I think I'll go is a 4.5. (Sadly.) 20 10s so far, though, so not bad!

Oleander, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  5. What a wild ride of a paragraph! Halfway through, I thought they were being manic because they were hungry before the lunch break, and then OH!nostalgia

6. I honestly think another Run Away With Me vs. Into You top 2 is very possible. Formation should round out the top 3 but it'll be done wrong again.

7. send photo

send photo Guest

Today's choice is inspired by its use in the Broad City season 4 trailer, J.Lo ha everlasting impact~

GET RIGHT | JENNIFER LOPEZ
    JENNIFER LOPEZ VIDEOS RATE
    by: @Mr Blonde

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Papi
    2ND RUNNER UP: Waiting For Tonight

I'm conflicted over whether If You Had My Love or Get Right is my favourite J.Lo song. This is, however, her videography rate we're talking about so Get Right wins hands down. I got lost looking for it and found her singles rate. What the fuck at Papi making it to #2 there? I digress, we're here for Get Right. It felt like a proper event of a video and Jennifer sports a plethora of different personas. It was so iconic Ayumi ripped it off for her my name's WOMEN video.

Mr Blonde gives us his take on the video, "One thing we can take away from this rate is that Francis really gets JLo and is a damn good director. This is a such a great, joyful, funny video, and the cane choreography is ridiculously amazing. The 2nd edit is so boring though! Feelin' So Good playing at the beginning is a sweet touch."

8. Move is on another level.. Black Magic is cute and definetly top 3 on Get Weird though.

9. Going from "Move" to "Black Magic" (and Salute to Get Weird and onwards in general) is like shifting from 72% single origin Ghanaian dark chocolate to... a Kinder Suprise.

I mean, both are delicious, but one of them is empty and filled with cheap plastic tricks and the other one is rich, complex and smooth.

10. Here are my 11-contenders:

You Oughta Know // Alanis Morissette
    Bad Girls // M.I.A.
    The One // Kylie Minogue
    Come Clean // Hilary Duff
    From This Moment On // Shania Twain
    Escapade // Janet Jackson
    Crazy In Love // Beyoncé
    Bleeding Love // Leona Lewis
    Summer Son // Texas
    Glorybox // Portishead
    Nothing Compares 2 U // Sinéad O'Connor
    Sissy That Walk // RuPaul
    Paparazzi // Lady Gaga
    Monster // Basically Nicki Minaj
    10.000 Luchtballonnen // K3
    Ace Reject // Sugababes

How in the world am I going to choose. Bold are the ones that were 11's in the rate and I tend to go for one of these. Or for my precious Texas, cause they probably need all the help they can get.

11. My 11 is in there as well.

sfmartin and send photo like this.
  12. COUNTDOWN | BEYONCÉ
    URBAN QUEENS THIS DECADE RATE
    by: @allyshone & @Petty Mayonnaise

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up (TIE): All Hands on Deck/ 2 On (Tinashe)

I absolutely adore this song and if you all do it wrong there is going to be hell to pay. Countdown is 3:32 of musical joy.. From the iconic Roberta Flack interpolation to the busy as fuck horn section to those chainsaw synths to the amazing wordplay on the countdown to the cute as fuck video, I don't know what else you could ask for??? Unless you mean more Beyoncé, which yes of course. Always.

Let's turn it over to someone I originally bonded with over dragging problematic people in the Beyoncé thread. @Petty Mayonnaise: "Even without my (or anyone else's) 11, my queen has somehow managed to triumph and walk away with yet another award under her belt. If we're going to get technical, the rate is the R&B Queens rate, and Beyoncé is without a doubt the queen of modern R&B. I'm sure some of you will be pressed and distressed, but oh well, this is the last write up anyway, so feel free to let the hate flow through you, sistren. It won't change the numbers or the fact that this is a worthy winner. It also partially makes up for some of the injustices committed against Bey throughout the course of this rate. Countdown is just another of Beysus' tracks that should've been at #1 for months, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. That said, when Countdown started on the Formation Tour, every single person in my section went fucking nuts, even my hunty I took with me who is at best a casual fan. It's just so....fucking.....good, y'all. It's certainly one of her best, and I would say it's the best song on 4, so at the end of the day, I'm pleased with the outcome DESPITE ALL THE MESS OF THE ROLLOUT. Y'ALL MADE IT A STRUGGLE TO GET TO THIS POINT WITH SOME OF YOUR TASTE I'M JUST SAYING."

13. I am interested in how Mama Ru will do here, I guess there's lots of posters who don't watch Drag Race and aren't familiar with his music, but Sissy That Walk is a proper bop that deserves good placing.

14. Countdown is still that bop and probably her best song pre-self-titled.

15. [​IMG]

16. Papi is one of Jennifer Lopez's best songs and if it had won it might've gotten my 11.

londonrain and send photo like this.
  17. send photo

send photo Guest

YOU OUGHTA KNOW | ALANIS MORISSETTE
    ALANIS MORISSETTE SINGLES RATE
    by: @One Stop Candy Shop

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Hands Clean
    2ND RUNNER UP: Thank U

All right motherfuckers slap on your best flannel because it's time for some Canadian royalty. Apparently the 1996 Juno Awards weren't well documented so I took some artistic liberties to let you know she swept every category with Jagged Little Pill. Whoda thunk the angriest damn song in existence would come from one of the most stereotypically polite countries? Dave Coulier's impact. And scream at them rating Alanis' My Humps cover. She's a comedy queen too, dontcha know.

Poor One Stop Candy Shop ended up the lowest scorer, "I was the lowest voter for our winner, so that a little sad. But I don't hate it and 7.5 isn't even a very low score. I love how brutally honest and confessional this is (and for that it's a well deserved 90's anthem), but my beef with the song is that it just doesn't speak me to that much musically/melodically." Well shit, that’s a bummer. Let's look for something more worthy of the song? How about from previous Winners Rate host Sprockrooster? "There are so many parts in this song that make it a 10. That guitar-riff, that post-chorus, that chorus-buildup. That middle-8. I joyride from start to finish. This song is also the perfect blueprint for any song that you would wish to hear while driving the highway." Thanks babe!

P.S. If anyone mentions that fucking Britney cover in their commentary we're dragging you for filth.

evilsin, Number, Jwentz and 21 others like this.
  18. Although these are all fantastic songs, for me personally, there are some clear frontrunners.

I'm loving this concept, 'cause I'm rating as we go along.

19. I don't watch the show (I do know it, obviously), but I think I've given it a 8.5. It's rather good! (And it's stuck in my head again now...)

20. Oy, @send photo.
    [​IMG]

Fix it, fat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.