The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. Phew, okay. I looked at the post on the first page, somehow missed Shakira, and panicked. (Mind you, it's not like I don't have enough bloody 11 contenders in the first place...)

send photo likes this.
  2. Those Kylie rates are my proudest achievements on this forum. Truly hard work though!

3. Kylie's The One is a 10 and an 11 contender. I don't think I'm emotionally capable of giving Kylie any kind of low score ever!

4. I'm still slightly sad that Fireproof didn't end up winning the 1D rate, but then again I could say the same about a lot of their album tracks.

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  5. My 11 is probably going to be "The One" or "Ace Reject." I am still so thrilled that they won their rates!

6. send photo

send photo Guest

WHITE DIAMOND (LIVE) | KYLIE MINOGUE
    KYLIE MINOGUE ANTI-RATE
    by: @P'NutButter

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Lose Control
    2ND RUNNER UP: Waiting 4 The Sun

You know how Britney stans are frothing at the mouth for Rebellion? That's child's play compared to the #Lovers waiting for a studio version of this. It's a bit shrill but I remember playing it on repeat back in the day. I must have some fanmade extended mix because I definitely use this.

P'NutButter will wait until the cows come home, "So 'White Diamond' scooped it, No 11's! - But I'd say 80% of the scores sent in for this were 9's or 10's - which is impressive. But then again this track has become legendary among the fans hasn't it? We all yearn for the studio version... will we ever get it?"

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 17 others like this.
  7. GLORY BOX | PORTISHEAD
    THE BRISTOL SOUND RATE
    by: @NecessaryVoodoo

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Unfinished Symphony (Massive Attack)
    2nd Runner Up: Safe From Harm (Massive Attack)

A rate by one of my favourite posters covering songs that were too cool for me even back in my hipster days? Of course I was sold! The Bristol Sound, for the unaware, "...has been described as "possessing a darkness that is uplifting, a joyful melancholy". As a whole the Bristol Sound was characterized by a slow, spaced-out hip hop sound..." Thanks Wikipedia! You might also know it by a different name: trip-hop. If you're scared to listen to Glory Box, don't be! You've actually probably already heard it's most famous sample - Ike's Rap II - on Alessia Cara's Here. If you don't enjoy the vocal stylings of La Cara, I promise you the smooth tones of Beth Gibbons are infinitely more pleasing to the ear. Although I still stan Here and you can't stop me.

I'm going to turn it over to @NecessaryVoodoo now: "Beth expertly weaves a web around that slinky familiar sample from Isaac Hayes' Ikes Rap II, which takes on a completely different flavour here to Tricky's usage, moving from her seductive Billie Holiday delivery in the verses to the quiet desperation of the woman fighting to stay afloat against Adrian's squalling guitars in the chorus."

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 18 others like this.
  8. As much as I love a lot of those songs, there are also a lot of 1's and 2's...

send photo likes this.
  9. send photo

send photo Guest

WHENEVER, WHEREVER | SHAKIRA
    SHAKIRA DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @JuanJose / @D.F.P.

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: La Tortura
    2ND RUNNER UP: She Wolf

The throwback jam prevails yet again. Shakira and Janet are the only ones who can get away with quirky lyrics like relating breasts to mountains. It would be a few more years until she conquered pop with Hips Don't Lie but in the meantime she conquered the green screen with that iconic video. Shakira definitely knows her way around a melody.

JuanJose covers much more ground, "I definitely didn’t expect this to take the top spot, but I am glad that it did because it’s definitely Shakira at its best. The immaculate production, the exquisite melody, the Latin influence, the personal lyrics, the guitars, the shaking, the drama! What is there not to love? I couldn’t have imagine a better introduction to Shakira for the wide international public. The song not only got the top spot here, it charted at No.1 in 22 countries (outside Latin America), staying several weeks at that position in many. It also charted at No. 4 in Canada, No. 6 in Billboard top 100 and No. 2 in the UK. English speaking market conquered: check! Amazingly, it spent 17 weeks at No. 1 in Switzerland, which is where I live now, coincidence? Didn’t think so! I equally love both the Spanish and English version of the song, the lyrics are equally interesting and beautiful in both. The video is as iconic as the song, giving us horse stampede, wave breaking, spread eagle and cliff diving!"

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 23 others like this.
  10. DEAD.
    COD: laughter

Remorque, myblood, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  11. CRAZY IN LOVE (FEAT. JAY-Z) | BEYONCÉ
    THE US #1s OF THE 2000s RATE (2000-2004) (2005-2009)
    by: @Ironheade with an assist from @ohnostalgia

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Say My Name (Destiny's Child)
    2nd Runner Up: Say It Right (Nelly Furtado)

chi-lites horns
    a deserted road
    that white tank top
    those denim shorts
    them red pumps
    you ready?

Bonafide generation defining pop icons are like the men I find attractive; pretty damn rare. I've been exceptionally fortunate to grow up with Bey - from a preteen bopping along to Destiny's Child to an obsessed fourteen year old watching Crazy in Love on Much Music; from an out of touch hipster shit returning to pop music with Self Titled to an older and possibly wiser woman struggling to articulate Lemonade. Only a true PopJustice Queen would have her propulsive breakthrough single plus one of this century's greatest intersections of music, pop culture, race, and feminism entered in the same rate.

If I've not said much about Crazy in Love itself, it's because I don't know what else I can say about one of the most critically acclaimed pop songs of our generation. So instead, I'll let @Ironheade do the honours- "Well, PJ knows I'm not the biggest Beyonce fan in the world, but I gotta give her "Crazy In Love". The horn blasts that give this the feel of a coronation, the percussion that transitions from sensual to stomping in a wink, Bey's surprisingly emotive vocals that somehow manage to avoid her usual hectoring, a dash of guest style from Jay-Z, it's a winner all round."

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 21 others like this.
  12. TRICK ME | KELIS
    THE KELIS DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @2014

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Acapella
    2nd Runner Up: Caught Out There

Noted granola nature boy vegan @send photo kindly "suggested" I write about Kelis for the greater good of us all. Full disclosure: I'd never heard Trick Me until I sat down to write this post. Once I got over the incessant whoa-whoa-whoas I decided there's a cute little bop hiding underneath.

Let's just turn it over to @2014 who will do Trick Me more justice: "Yes, that's right, Trick Me is the winner of The Kelis Discography Rate! The second single to be taken from her 3rd album Tasty, it is still such a massive bop and with only 4 voters not giving it a 10 or 11, it is clearly the people's winner.
    Written by Dallas Austin, the track was released in April 2004 and peaked at number 2 in the UK singles chart and was her 2nd consecutive top 5 hit there. It also went top 5 in Australia and becoming another huge hit for Kelis and proved to be the perfect choice for second single following on from her global hit Milkshake. The reason I gave it my 11 is pretty simple; it is my favourite Kelis track, everything about is just so perfect; from the production to the lyrics and its accompanying video, it gives me such a rush every time I listen to it - it's Kelis at her sexiest, or tastiest if you will. "

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 20 others like this.
  13. send photo

send photo Guest

My impact.

14. I ditched granola the next week cause it has too much sugar. Sorry!!!

15. send photo

send photo Guest

That's why you buy the kind without M&Ms.

16. I did. I bought the "health ones" which are actually notorious for being bad for you.

myblood, LE0Night, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  17. send photo

send photo Guest

10.000 LUCHTBALLONNEN | K3
    K3 SINGLES RATE
    by: @WhenTheSunGoesDown

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Tele-Romeo
    2ND RUNNER UP: Blub, Ik Ben Een Vis

I'll just gloss over the environmental damage 10,000 balloons would cause and say that they look happy. I’d also like to give a big thank you to the kind soul who made that transparent picture of them to make my job 10,000 times easier. And the one on the left looks eerily like a cross between Rumer Willis and Natalie Portman.

Perhaps WhenTheSunGoesDown can persuade you to bump your scores up with his tale of how this rate came to be, "And so this ends the way it started - with 10.000 Luchtballonnen. When I entered this in PopJustice Song Contest 37 I thought I'd get a couple of votes from the BopJustice folks, but then it ended up almost winning! (Stupid @iheartpoptarts beat me by 3 points.) The surprising popularity of the song led me to consider a K3 rate, and now, over a year later, here we are! K3 3.0's first single wasn't just a big hit in the charts, it also won the hearts of Popjustice. (Until it ends up being the first to be voted out in the next Winner's Rate, but let's deal with that later.)" Ddd at least he's self-aware.

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, Number and 21 others like this.
  18. To make it even worse: they're singing about 10,000 hot air balloons!
    I'm nothing if not realistic!

Everyone: for the love of key changes and line-up changes, give this song the 10(,000) it deserves!!!

Remorque, myblood, Island and 9 others like this.
  19. send photo

send photo Guest

Well shit. I really need to learn to translate before doing these summaries.

myblood, Island, LE0Night and 7 others like this.
  20. K3 is amazing and I will not hear otherwise!

I still hear Trick Me from time to time on the radio. I am amazed people hear it for the first time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.