The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. MONSTER (FEAT. JAY-Z, RICK ROSS, NICKI MINAJ & BON IVER) | KANYE WEST
    THE NICKI MINAJ DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @lemonsqueezyy

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Super Bass
    2nd Runner Up: Side to Side (Feat. Nicki Minaj) Ariana Grande

Sure, it's a bit strange for a feature to win an artist's discography rate, I'm not denying that. But of all the features and all the artists, this victory can be forgiven. A fairly unestablished Nicki Minaj went into a room full of rap's greats and completely decimated them. Her Monster verse is considered by many to be the greatest of all time and literally made her career. Kanye, being Kanye, almost deleted Nicki's part because he "knew people would say that was the best verse on the best Hip Hop album of all time." Thank god he didn't.

@lemonsqueezyy was pretty much left speechless: "How else can I describe it? It’s a winner, baby!"

2. I am so glad this was Nicki's victory song.

Trivia time: this was actually tied with 'Runaway' in the Kanye rate for the top position but by accident was left out in the first winners rate, because it was unclear it was a tie. It wasnot until the Backstreet Boys winning via a tie other voters commented on this. So to have it now added officially feels like we solved that issue in the process. It basically won two rates, so this is definitely a force to be reckoned with. It is definitely a 10 from me, for Minaj' line alone.

3. I'm still bitter that Acapella didn't win the Kelis rate.

Remorque, myblood, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  4. send photo

send photo Guest

SISSY THAT WALK | RUPAUL
    RUPAUL DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @GhettoPrincess

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Read U Wrote U (Remix Feat. A Mouthful)
    2ND RUNNER UP: Supermodel (You Better Work)

What does RuPaul always say? Don't fuck it up. And what do you do? Fuck it up. Moving on we've got Sissy That Walk, AKA the theme song of the last season I watched. As far as Ru songs go this is the best of her more current output so at least you guys got that much right. The quality of the song accurately reflects the quality of the season.

Condragulations GhettoPrincess on your 11 winning, "What an anthem, if this was a popstar releasing this it would be #1 everywhere. The production, the fierce lyrics and the breakdown….. just ICONIC! What a musical moment. I was so scared someone was gonna give this a troll score and break it's amazing average but ya'll didn't do me wrong." Sorry I'm late but I'm here now, kii.

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 16 others like this.
  5. The most iconic element of Sissy That Walk winning was that the lowest score it received was a 10. When will your faves?

Remorque, myblood, Serg. and 8 others like this.
  6. YASSSS so proud of that average and what an amazing pop song. Don't do it too wrong guys or I'll ask you to sashay away.

[​IMG]

Remorque, Jwentz, myblood and 5 others like this.
  7. LONELY TOWN | BRANDON FLOWERS
    THE BRANDON FLOWERS DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @2014

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Can't Deny My Love
    2nd Runner Up: Only The Young

King Brandon is here to take names and defeat your faves with his refreshingly brilliant take on 80s pop/rock/Americana - take your pick. What I appreciate about Brandon the most is his weaving of religious imagery from his Mormon roots in a non-preachy way. You can tell it informs his music, but he's not looking to convert. Unless the conversion is to believing in male popstars because I am sold.

@2014: "From the start this was constantly called out as the winner and it easily stormed to victory in this little ol' rate - with an astounding 10 11s there was no stopping it really. This song still gives me everything when I listen to it now, with its glittering and bouncy production and that euphoric middle 8 with Brandon's cries proving irresistible - it's such a stellar effort and the crowning jewel of the triumph that is The Desired Effect. What a guy, what a talent."

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 13 others like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Yath.

Yath.

9. send photo

send photo Guest

And another one

MR. BRIGHTSIDE | THE KILLERS
    THE KILLERS DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @2014

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Read My Mind
    2ND RUNNER UP: Somebody Told Me

Since Call Me Maybe isn't participating this has the best chorus of this rate according to Billboard. I'm not going to argue, I still lose my mind whenever this pops up. Not as much as Read My Mind but that's like comparing gold and more gold. There was no way this wasn't going to win and I've made my peace. Enough rambling, let's get on with it.

2014 covers all the bases, "All this for a song that is basically about a man paranoid that he's being cheated on, but what The Killers have always excelled at is their way with words, their lyricism, and the fact they've made such a taboo subject the basic of one of the biggest rock anthems ever, it's an incredible feat - I don't think anyone can hate this; yes it may be overplayed, but the fundamental fact is that it is a total earworm, a total success and and one of the best ways to spend 3 minutes and 43 seconds, quite frankly."

10. WHEN DOVES CRY | PRINCE
    THE PRINCE SELECTED SINGLES RATE
    by: @Jwentz

[​IMG]

Winner's Post
    Runner Up: Kiss
    2nd Runner Up: Sign O The Times

Back in the days when @Jwentz finished rates, I used this one as a starting point to launch into the intimidating Prince discography. And I found some B-O-P-S, with When Doves Cry coming second only to P-Control. That riff.

Let's turn it over to @Jwentz: "When Doves Cry has the distinction of being the Prince song, and that's not just coming from Pop Justice. Let's talk stats for a moment here, X factor style: #1 on the Hot 100 for 5 weeks, Song of the year according to Billboard and The Village Voice, #11 Pitchfork's best songs of the 80s, #6 on Spin's greatest singles of all time, #52 on Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time. When I say that it's the Prince song I mean that it's a song who's legacy is so big that even in a discography like Prince's it stands head and shoulders above the rest. Everybody know's the story, a song so funky that it doesn't even need a baseline and a hit so big it took a movie to the top of the box office with it. And for the lyrics are just so Prince, but despite that they remain so relatable. The feelings of alienation, identifying your worst traits and trying to diagnose the, seeing your own evil and rebelling against it. It's heady stuff for a pop hit, but Prince ties it all together in such a gorgeous way that it all just works."

I can't embed the official video because Prince, but it's here:
    http://videos.sapo.pt/eUiSShQtRYIJPnjQMOws

11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Prince had immense talent but there's something about his voice that I just can't get down with.

From the forum I've been able to tell that Mr. Brightside gets played a lot more in the UK then the US. Which has probably helped me stay such a big fan of it.

2014 and send photo like this.
  12. [​IMG]

13. send photo

send photo Guest

Remember when he did two at once? The decay.

NOTHING COMPARES 2 U | SINÉAD O'CONNOR
    PRINCE COVERS RATE
    by: @Jwentz

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Love Thy Will Be Done
    2ND RUNNER UP: I Feel For You

Poor Ginuwine's When Doves Cry wasn't even in the running, boo. Whatever, this was going to sweep either way. Sinéad has such a gorgeous delivery and this is one of my favourite ballads to come out of the 90's.

Jwentz tells us exactly why this won, "Was there ever going to be a different winner? Well, yes actually. Martina racked up a lot more 11's than this and seemed to be the fan favorite, but as votes came in Sinead never got a single score below an 8 and made up ground in getting 13 10's out of 22 votes.

But it only makes sense, though all the songs in the extras we're brilliant, only one went number 1 in 17 countries, made #3 on Billboard's end of year chart, #2 on the UK's end of year chart, placed #37 in Pitchfork's best songs of the 90s and #162 in Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time. Yes the breakup song to end all breakup songs won handily and with good reason.
    "

evilsin, Number, Remorque and 14 others like this.
  14. It was actually All Of The Lights that was the runner-up. I think Monster came in around 12th in the end. So it still isn't represented properly. Kii.

(the idea of a rate having a joint winner remains... deeply unsatisfying to me tbh, and it was basically Dark Raider that tanked Runaway alone so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

15. I want to give 10.000 Luchtballonnen my 11 just for how much I enjoyed their rate.

I heard Black Coffee live again the other day and now I'm officially bitter that Never Ever or Pure Shores didn't win. Maybe it's not so 11-worthy as I thought after all. (Still good, though.)

Remorque, Island, ohnostalgia and 2 others like this.
  16. Black Coffee coming through with that surprise win was amazing. Pure Shores was shook.

17. Ow oops. How could have Monster performed so badly. You bunch of heathens.

send photo and Number like this.
  18. Now, Nicki's verse is a crowning moment of brilliance and splendor, a pinnacle of contemporary rap, brimming with personality, nerve and hunger, but let's not pretend it's not surrounded by utter trash (yes, I'm looking at you Jay-Z and Bon Iver).

19. I just checked and it landed at #13 with an average of 8.969, with everything left earning a 9 and above (and this was before 11s were a thing) nn. But yeah, the reason it landed so 'low' was all on Jay teebs.

(I'm still quietly proud of pulling off a 102 song rate efficiently with my first attempt)

20. Oh wow. Those averages kind of make up for it!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.