The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

HOW Lemonade didn't win the Alexandra Stan rate I'll never know.

2. UGLY HEART | G.R.L.
    FLOP GIRL GROUPS RATE
    by: @DJHazey

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Scandalous (Mis-teeq)
    2nd Runner Up: Potential Break Up Song (Aly & AJ)

Ugly Heart is exactly that type of pop music with pseudo-country instrumentation that I adore. I will never understand much of PJ's aversion to "country," but I pray that Ugly Heart does not suffer from these weird beliefs. Another thing I love about Ugly Heart? It calls out all those awful men who think they can get away with everything because they're "pretty"!

Of course Ugly Heart is now tinged with bittersweetness after the death of Simone. I know that Simone made an enormous impact on many people who struggle with depression and other mental health issues, including one commentator in the Winning Post. After reading their story @DJHazey summarizes why this win meant a bit more: "I don't think the rate could be capped of any better. Such a different situation which is so sensitive to discuss but you really got to heart of the matter and how popstars can impact our lives without even having sing one word. This might be a rate winner I am most proud of seeing because of how much it means to their fans beyond rooting for their favorite songs to win. It's about so much more here. This is popjustice at the its most raw application. The next Rate Winners rate just got infinitely stronger."

evilsin, Remorque, Number and 18 others like this.
  3. I thought Lemonade was going to win, but I couldn't do anything to change it myself because Mr. Saxobeat and Lemonade are both 10s and Get Back (ASAP) was my 11. In fact, out of the 40 songs in that rate I handed out over 20 perfect scores.

I really hope Ugly Heart goes kind of far. I'm glad the rate produced a winner that many people could get behind because there were admittedly others options that would've been far more polarizing.

4. send photo

send photo Guest

SHOWER SCENE | SAINT ETIENNE
    SAINT ETIENNE/SARAH CRACKNELL SINGLES RATE
    by: @Ray

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Tonight
    2ND RUNNER UP: Method Of Modern Love

I've been calmly bobbing my head to this on repeat, it's very relaxing. It seems to be an underappreciated single within the fanbase as it was only released in Spain. I'm sitting here envisioning a rainy day, good job at translating that into a song Saint Etienne.

Ray was pleasantly surprised, "And so the rate comes to the VERY UNEXPECTED END. I would have guessed that "Shower Scene" would win this approximately never. The Spanish only release, backed by "New Thing" and "Time And Tide" on the 12", with added "Shock Corridor" on the CD. NOT A SINGLE REMIX. Criminally it was not a single anywhere else, which shows the Spanish have impeccable taste and I am in the process of moving to Barcelona right this very moment. As a curiosity, the most expensive copy of the CD single was sold on Discogs for over 91 euro, but you can snatch one today for sensible €27.33. I don't have one, so please buy it for me as a thank you for the rate. (Kidding. Get me the vinyl instead.) It's a great song, but I was shocked (corridor) to see it score five 11s and end up on top! I actually tweeted about the rate to @BobPeteSarah and I would love to hear what they think of THAT.

The intro and outro gives me Futurama's Professor teas
    (vote in @Island's Futurama rate!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
    evilsin, Remorque, Number and 16 others like this.
  5. Ever got an answer @Ray?

londonrain and send photo like this.
  6. Mis-Teeq were in a flop girl groups rate? <This is just too fucking much.gif>

7. [​IMG]
    Me realizing I didn't get a single tag/mention in 20 pages suggesting I vote.

[​IMG]
    Me still sending my ballot in anyway.

Chris_P, Remorque, myblood and 7 others like this.
  8. I saw Mr. Saxobeat on the list and assumed it was from some year-themed rate. Beating Lemonade is truly concerning...

Mis-teeq being in the flop girl group rate was technically wrong because they were quite successful, but it gave me a chance to stan so I wasn't upset.

9. I gave Mr. Saxobeat my 11 in its own rate, but it does stick out a little in the winners rate I'm afraid.

send photo likes this.
  10. I know I tagged you!!!

11. A&E

A&E

Brilliant track! I'm always reminded of it when Tove Lo's Keep It Simple comes on (it's the intros).

Hint: for listening convenience, the single version without the man talking (which gets annoying after a while) is available on the deluxe version of the band's London Conversations compilation. I think it's there on Spotify and the like.

(also that compilation is a pretty good introduction to the band if you're new to them!)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Sprockrooster and send photo like this.
  12. send photo

send photo Guest

THE SIGN | ACE OF BASE
    ACE OF BASE DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @AcerBenII

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Beautiful Life
    2ND RUNNER UP: Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry

What's more 90's than this song? If you had to pick one song to define the decade this would damn well be in the running. These days it's used for mockery like in Pitch Perfect or South Park but you're lying if you're not secretly bopping away, even just a little.

AcerBenII reminds us of this europop song going beyond borders and invading the states, "So we've come to the number 1, and I suppose it could only have been this. Check out that average! This was written by Jonas on a bus and was the song that sealed the deal with Arista, who were rather worried that "All That She Wants" was the only pop hit they had up their sleeve. Well how wrong they were! This spent six weeks at number 1 in the USA and was the best-selling single of 1994. The album of the same name sold an incredible 9 million copies in the USA alone and for a short period, Ace Of Base were the biggest band in the world. I just wish I had been old enough at the time to appreciate it!"

evilsin, Remorque, Number and 17 others like this.
  13. Why have you used a pic of A*Base?

14. send photo

send photo Guest

It goes with the stop sign? It was one of my questionable 2am ones. Apologies.

Remorque, myblood, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  15. ALL THE TIMES I CRIED | SHARLEEN SPITERI
    SHARLEEN SPITERI SOLO RATE
    by: @Sprockrooster

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: It Was You
    2nd Runner Up: Day Tripping

Yes, good ol' Sprocky snuck two rates into one as he had the denzions of PopJustice also rate the solo work of Texas frontwoman Sharleen Spiteri. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't some sixties girl group esque bop! All The Times I Cried was released during the height of that late-naughties retro revival, but I'm certainly not complaining.

What does @Sprockrooster have to say? "I told you this rate was a mess. The #1 didnot change throughout, but it wasnot until the very last voter it received a 10. Such a diplomatic win if Constantino 9'ed this too. It is the lead single and biggest hit, but I do not necessarily see it as the best of her solo career. Oh well."

... oh.

16. send photo

send photo Guest

HOT SUMMER | MONROSE
    MONROSE DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @Vixen

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    RUNNER UP: Say Yes
    2ND RUNNER UP: Strictly Physical

I was ready to hand this summary over to stalgy when I went to play the song and it sounded... familiar? As it turns out, this German number had quite the impact in Asia as both K-Pop group f(x) covered it as well as my M-Pop queen Jolin Tsai who oddly enough renamed it Hot Winter. I have to pay them my respect for such influential merit.

Vixen gives us a review of the original version, "Hot Summer was one of the first collaborations producers Remee and then-new partner Thomas Troelsen worked on together in the Delta Lab White recording studios in Copenhagen, Denmark in fall 2006. The song was selected out of a total of three hundred songs as the album's lead single unanimously, aiming to break away from the ballad stereotype associated with the group. The band has described the up-tempo track as a perfect 'get in a good mood song'."

17. Hot Summer remains incredible. Those ad-libs at the end give me nice summer chills ever time.

Remorque, Vixen and send photo like this.
  18. Hot Summer is an iconic song and I am glad we are doing this rate during the summer. It must benefit.

Concerning Sharleen. That write up was a bit too savage from me, but the average for the winning song was a 8,17. That has to be close to (or the) lowest average for a winning song on PJ ever. Like I said it was one of the few songs with.out a 10 until the last voter (there was no 11 in this minirate). It is still a lovely song, but there is so much better! That artwork is absolutely gorgeous @ohnostalgia

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  19. @send photo is taking over for the weekend. Good luck, voters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.