The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. King winning was such a victorious feeling. Yes.

2. Friendly reminder that I will not hesitate to send your ballot back for trolling, even if you send it to @send photo.

3. send photo

send photo Guest

Aaand my final summary is the last song added to our rate! What is it?...

[​IMG]

ACROSS THE SKY | MADONNA
    THE MADONNA UNRELEASED RATE
    by: @Raichu

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Revenge
    2nd Runner Up: Animal

Of course the one with Justin Timberlake won. I don't know if you relate but I have a violent hatred of him, even if he's in the song for all of ten collective seconds. Kind of like that moo in Another Lonely Night. Justin aside it's a cute song, it’ll be interesting to see how well it does considering Madonna dominated the top two of the last Winners Rate.

Raichu says this about his winner, "I totally get why this is so popular in Madonna fandom. The instrumental has a dream-like quality while still bopping and still feeling “modern,” and the vocals and melody go down really smooth. She wouldn’t even have to have done much to do it and it could have replaced Spanish Lesson and slightly improved Hard Candy, but is it really that interesting on its own? I don’t know. I think the problem is the lyrics. They have that awkward, overwrought feel that permeates a lot of M’s unreleased music and it takes way too long to get to chorus. But the fundamentals are more than solid here and one can lost in the heavenly atmosphere. And Justin’s vocals are a very pleasant touch."

And that's it from me! @ohnostalgia will be handling the rest of the summaries over the next few days. Be sure to vote by July 9th! I'll be on mobile until Friday so if you happen to finish your scores before then please send them to @ohnostalgia to ensure they're entered in a timely manner.​

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, Number and 16 others like this.
  4. Probably later in the day only, I didn't get to work on my artwork because of some health issues today.

5. apologies, my laptop started fighting me now.
    but i will not let it hold me down
    (this is for my girls all around the world!!!!)

EVERYBODY (BACKSTREET'S BACK) | BACKSTREET BOYS
    BOY BAND SINGLES RATE
    by: @CorgiCorgiCorgi

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    "Runner Up:" I Want It That Way (Backstreet Boys)
    2nd Runner Up: Larger Than Life (Backstreet Boys)

A great injustice occurred in the Boyband Singles rate. Everybody was declared the winner over I Want It That Way by one piddly lowest score. Okay it's a fun pop song with a fun video, but is it the greatest boy band single of all time? I mean, that would've been Fireproof if 1D made solid single release decisions, but still no, Everybody is not that gig. Great mummies, beautiful mummies.

Take it away, @CorgiCorgiCorgi: "Never in a million years would I have predicted this song as the winner, but here we are! And what a winner it is. It’s irresistible and cheesy and so, so weird. It’s a series of never-ending hooks and quotable lines - even if you haven’t seen it in years, you know all the lyrics. You can’t talk about this without talking about the video. The guys had to fight tooth and nail to get this made, and it’s a good thing they did: 'The concept of the video came from the band itself. The label did not get behind the concept of the band in costumes or the large budget requirements, and did not believe MTV would respect the video. The band ultimately had to put up its own money to shoot the video and had to fight with the label to get reimbursed once it was successful.' -Wikipedia"

But wait! There's more.

I WANT IT THAT WAY | BACKSTREET BOYS

BOY BAND SINGLES RATE
    by: @CorgiCorgiCorgi

[​IMG]

"Winning" Post
    2nd Runner Up: Larger Than Life (Backstreet Boys)

Once boyband trash, always boyband trash, as they say. As a child in the late 90s, I Want It That Way was inescapable. I honestly do think it's one of the greatest pop songs of our time, and certainly one of Max Martin's all time classics. When this didn't flat out win the Boy Boy Band Singles rate I was shocked and appalled. Let's right this wrong and correctly score I Want It That Way over Everybody, please and thank you.

Poor @CorgiCorgiCorgi: "I know, I’m shocked too! I thought I Want It That Way had this one in the bag. It’s their signature song, if you ask me, and it’s absolutely timeless. VH1 ranked it as the third-greatest song of the 1990s, behind Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit and U2’s One. It set a record for the most weeks at #1 on the Billboard Top 40 chart, and it was their first (and only) #1 single in the UK. It was nominated for three Grammys but lost them all to Santana. I Want It That Way and Smooth are two of the greatest songs of all time so I can’t be mad, really. The lyrics, I’ll admit, don’t make the most sense. LA Weekly said the song is “just simply destined not to make any sense” in their thinkpiece "What The Hell Is Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" About?" and Kevin Richardson agrees: “(Max Martin’s) English has gotten much better, but at the time... There are a lot of songs out there like that that don't make sense, but make you feel good when you sing along to them, and that's one of them.” And he’s right. This song has the power to make anyone feel good - between the genius production and smooth vocals, it’s everything I love about pop music compiled into one song. For three and a half minutes, it really feels like everything is going to be all right."

evilsin, Remorque, Number and 20 others like this.
  6. I prefer Everybody if I'm honest. Both are 10's though!

7. send photo

send photo Guest

Poor Brian.

8. I literally changed my 11 last-minute from I Want It That Way to Everybody and became the only one to give the 11 to the latter. I feel responsible for this tie (obviously everyone is that participated). Amazing.

OOOOH AND YES AT R.L. STINE PROMO!

9. Everybody is stunning.

iheartpoptarts and send photo like this.
  10. [​IMG]

Me, yes #misandryjustice me, will be giving both Backstreet Boys songs auto-10s and will fight anyone who comes for them.

11. HEY YOU

YES YOU

[​IMG]

I NEED YOUR HELP.

@send photo didn't authorize this, but I think we all know who's running this ship. I'll bring him back when we need someone to sleep with a criminal and lose our money.

Have an all time favourite rate? Wanna show some appreciation to your fave rate hosts? Send me messages and I will include them in our elimination posts, even anonymous if you want!

Miss an intro song post? Did you forget to like it? Do you want to help me while stupid shows like Big Brother wreak havoc on the leaderboard this summer? Here's an updated post of all our summaries for your liking pleasure.

Did we miss somebody you want to vote? TAG THEM. I'm cool with that now that it takes ten minutes to switch pages on my laptop.

~ VOTE ~

Chris_P, Remorque, Oleander and 12 others like this.
  12. Great idea on giving shoutouts to your favorite rates and sending love to the hosts. In fact, I've already done that exact thing in my commentary for one song thus far.

13. send photo

send photo Guest

Chris_P, Remorque, Oleander and 14 others like this.
  14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Im such a Backstreet Boys stan. Really hope they do well here. I want it that way is the better song. I should probably do a discography rate of them sometime.

Remorque, myblood, tylerc904 and 6 others like this.
  15. @iheartpoptarts -- your moment might be coming. I expect two paragraph essays minimum for each song in the commentary.

16. WORK (FEAT. DRAKE) | RIHANNA
    THE 2016 #1s RATE (UK/US/AUS)
    by: @Pinkie

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: In My Blood (The Veronicas)
    2nd Runner Up: Starboy (The Weeknd)

It's still one of my greatest accomplishments that I liked Work from the beginning. None of that unfortunate hating before ANTI leaked came from me. I was ride and die from Day 1, Rih. Anyways... here's my standard warning re: Work. I'd like to remind you that Patois is not nonsense, it's a full formed creole dialect. Any comments about "lazy" singing or "nonsense" will be automatically deleted.

On a semi-related note, thank god that tacky Veronicas song didn't win.

@Pinkie gets it right: "Well, considering… recent events, it’s actually quite heart warming to see Work triumph. The first listen wasn't the kindest, and it really didn't give me any faith that Anti wasn't going to be the mess FourFiveForehead and Armenian Nicotine signalled towards. But, as with a lot of the album, it makes so much sense within the context that I grew to like it. It's only recently that I've learned to fully appreciate it as the carefree dancehall bop it's always been, and Drake doesn't add anything to proceedings, but it's not hard to see it as a worthy winner. And on PopJustice, seeing a song that isn't straight-forward pop led by someone using dialect not usually seen in the charts, and with a *gasp* rapper attached, triumph over other songs that follow the pop formula much closer is one hell of an achievement. #blackgirlsrock"

evilsin, Remorque, Number and 16 others like this.
  17. Look at me deciding all the boyband winners, sorry not sorry!

As if you're going to be there to read them!

18. send photo

send photo Guest

Will Be My Lover be in your 90's Eurodance rate? I'd throw my 11 at that so damn fast.

19. I helped put together the song list, if it wasn't on it you could call me a fake eurodance stan.

I'd probably vote to be honest.

20. It is indeed on the list!

Ooh, I'd love to see this!

londonrain, DJHazey and send photo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.