The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

The Winners Rate: AND THE WINNER IS.... Me, Because I'm Done

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, May 29, 2017.

1. I hope you enjoyed my little Carly Rae Jepsen math story! It still makes me laugh to this day.

But in all seriousness, all my rate scorecards end up loosely fitting a bell curve centered around 5-6. Most scores fall in the 4-7 range, with relatively few at each end of the curve (hence, 2 0s and 4 10s). My original iteration featured more lower scores, but with this revision there are more scores that are between 6-10 than between 0-5 (at least so I guesstimate).

myblood, GimmeWork, Island and 4 others like this.
  3. I'm perched to find out what @Mina bombed. I know Hilary is safe after the 10 she gave Come Clean in my rate.

Sprockrooster and send photo like this.
  4. ....

I think I bombed one of the same tracks as @ohnostalgia , at least judging by her earlier commentary.

5. Burning House and I Could Use a Love Song are both fucking incredible and I'm already pressed at their inevitable early elimination.

6. "...." better not mean you had to edit the score here.

Mina likes this.
  7. Only a little?....it's definitely one of Hilary's best songs so of course in her rate it was a no-brainer 10, but I didn't think it stood up to the 4 10s I gave out in this rate (given the whole rating on a curve thing).

Oleander, myblood, GimmeWork and 3 others like this.
  8. Looks like my boyband average is going to be a 10.0. (unless there's some other boyband lurking down the list I'm unaware of)

What is happening to me?

hjalp

myblood, Kuhleezi, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  9. ACE REJECT | SUGABABES
    THE SUGABABES DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @beyoncésweave

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Freak Like Me
    2nd Runner Up: Run For Cover

Can you believe that a year and a half ago I didn't know what a Sugababe was? Thankfully @Island educated me in the now twice defunct PopJustice Album club and I've been a stan since. I love their particular brand of gritty R&B pop, their (mostly) empowering lyrics, their willingness to be weird and freaky, their intelligence, their values, and... I could be here for months so let's move on. The Sugababes discography contains a metaphorical diamond encrusted vault of classics galore but somehow this album track that almost wasn't leaped to first place, toppling towering singles left and right. Ace Reject is the Sugababes song that stole my heart, moving into an upper echelon of life changing songs. It's truly one of the most heartbreaking musical pieces I've ever heard- and I listen to a lot of Sufjan Stevens. It's also one of my very few 11s to win a rate so I enjoyed that sweet sweet smell of vindication after charlatans with dreadful taste started calling for its eliminations in the thirties.

I wish I could quote @beyoncésweave entire post, but that would be a pale copy. You can go read it yourself and make it the most liked post in PJ history. Yes, even more than the real joyride along the way is the friends we made post. It's that iconic. For now, here's a brief highlight: "And that is, in the end, the essence of “Ace Reject”. The time that has passed and the events that have unfolded throughout the band’s entire history have imbued the song with greater, and now unretractable, meaning. It is less about Mutya, Keisha and Heidi reflecting on their four years together, and more about the Sugababes as a whole, in their decade and plus of existence. How, despite an unspeakable (and unguessable) mountain of pure bullshit from record labels (a total of four), management (including one particularly odious entity in the form of Crown Management) and various other industry hangers-on; despite the entire industry and press almost willing them to die off; despite a rabid and tempestuous fanbase that was quick to turn on them and tear apart the band’s members and eventually the band itself; and despite those members’ own demons… it still produced seven albums worth of accomplished, ambitious, beautiful, heartfelt, introspective pop music. And even when the music didn’t meet that remit, still managed to come off as spikily interesting as it spiralled towards disaster. It can’t be repeated enough, but that is a record of such amazing power. And “Ace Reject” gives life to all of that."

If you do this song wrong I will probably arrange for bad things to happen to you. Yes, I'm talking to you voter who already submitted with a sub-5 score. This is your chance to change your score and save yourself.​

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, Number and 21 others like this.
  10. Horrific.

If this is @PLUTO again, we must report them.

11. FLESH WITHOUT BLOOD | GRIMES
    THE ALT-POP GIRLS RATE
    by: @Petty Mayonnaise

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Kill v Maim (Grimes)
    2nd Runner Up: Realiti (Grimes)​

How do you solve a problem like Grimes?
    How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
    How do you find the word that means Grimes?
    A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Yes, I'm writing this on the fly... why do you ask?

Flesh Without Blood is an unstoppable force against an immovable object. And by immovable object I mean those terrible rate voters who will refuse to let Flesh Without Blood or Grimes into their hearts. I don't know who you are yet, but I just know you're out there reading. There's always someone who fucks up the indie girls' chances in these versus rates. But honestly, Flesh Without Blood is pure pop magic, simultaneously providing a sugar rush and serving misandrist callously smashing undeserving hearts (the flippant "I don't see the light I see in you anymore" is more vicious than any PopJustice skulldrag I've ever read). Grimes is the future of pop music and I can't wait to see what she cooks up next.

What does my partner in indie crime @Petty Mayonnaise say?: "Queen of pop rock. Queen of music. Queen of following up her critically acclaimed breakthrough album with something completely different and unexpected and earning even more critical acclaim whilst making unashamedly capital P pop music. Queen of tricking the pretentious, indie bloggers into liking pop. Just Queen. This song is honestly just on another level entirely. Some of you all predicted this very early, but I wasn’t one of them. I assumed Grimes would either be the Beyonce of this rate and do incredibly well across the board but lose to something like I’m A Ruin or Gemini Feed at the very end, or that if she did win, it’d be Realiti snatching the crown. Luckily, this outcome is preferable to either of those, since Flesh Without Blood is honestly a religious experience. It’s catchy as hell, impeccably produced, and left-field enough that it still feels distinctly like Claire while feeling euphorically pop at the same time. I know I’ve said this about her several times throughout the rate, but she really, truly did. THAT."

evilsin, Number, Oleander and 13 others like this.
  12. Flesh Without Blood is so fantastic.

13. FORMATION | BEYONCÉ
    THE BEYONCÉ DISCOGRAPHY RATE
    by: @RJF + @strangekin

[​IMG]

Winning Post
    Runner Up: Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)
    2nd Runner Up: All Night

I've written commentary with Formation as my eleven twice now and I still haven't done it justice.

Third time's the charm and all, am I right?

FUCK.

Okay.

Formation is the most important song in this rate.

It's the most important song I've rated across all rates.

It won't win.

(It's not right.)

But it will be okay.

Formation doesn't need our validation.

Or our elevens.

Or my commentary.

Or yours.

It's powerful.

Towering.

Thrilling.

All consuming.

Anthemic.

Searing.

A call to arms.

You only need to listen.

@RJF:

"People more astute and in tune to the issues will articulate it better than I will, but a song like is so important and vital in 2016. To see arguably the biggest artist of our generation unapologetically embrace and celebrate her blackness with an equally unapologetic, celebratory song is marvellous. For her to take all that frenetic, spiky energy, and unleash it on middle America, her heels leaving holes in their precious football field as she stomped about in a Black Panther uniform and said “negro” twice during the fucking Super Bowl halftime show in the middle of a white nonsense Coldplay set? Good. Night. Nurse.

“Formation” is relentless. It’s loud and barbed and unambiguous in what it wants to say and how it wants to sound. Beyoncé tells us just how black and successful she is and we love every single second of it. Every zeitgeist snatching line, every resounding chime that follows every “I sIay!”, every jagged bounce in the production, and of course that masterful hook that the video makes you wait double the time for. AND THE VIDEO. Christ. Just her best ever. I don’t even have the words any more."

evilsin, Number, Oleander and 16 others like this.
  14. send photo

send photo Guest

It does though so consider it.

Oleander, myblood, Kuhleezi and 3 others like this.

15. *evil laughter*

londonrain likes this.
  16. Any score below a 10 for Formation is trolling and will get your ballot shredded x

Oleander, myblood, Kuhleezi and 3 others like this.
  17. #notmyfeministanthem #sorrynotsorry

18. I mean unless you're a black woman, it wasn't written for you anyways. I'm sure Bey will sleep just fine.

19. Fair enough. I'm not a Bey-hater by any means; just her song selection here wasn't my favorite. (And I only gave a 7 to my favorite artist in the rate, because the song selection is far from my favorite.)

DJHazey and Island like this.
  20. Poor @beyoncésweave and me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.