The Workplace & Job Hunting | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

The Workplace & Job Hunting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DoggySwami, Jun 17, 2014.

1. By the way folks, this is what it's like working in software:

Txetxu, LP, ItTakesAMuscle and 23 others like this.
  2. Swifties won!

LP, spaceship, constantino and 5 others like this.
  3. I sent out a bunch of applications a week ago and I still haven't heard anything. A part of me is almost relieved because I'm shit scared of having to do more interviews (and, even worse, mock lessons), but I also worry that if I'm not gonna find something soon, I'll still be unemployed by the time the new school year starts. You'd think there'd be more vacancies what with there always being a shortage of teachers.

4. 2014

2014 Moderator

dd I have an interview

[​IMG]

5. I spotted a vacancy that is literally everything I've ever wanted in education and I applied with the speed of light. I don't think I've ever applied that quickly - usually, I put it off for days! It's also more in line with my previous work experience so hopefully that'll set me apart from other people.

The only problem is that the interviews - if I get invited - take place the day after a concert, and knowing me I'm going to be an absolute wreck. I was also kind of planning to hang around the artist's hotel with my mum that day. In a non-stalkery "there'll probably be twenty other fans there" kind of way. But I really do want this job. It's so perfect.

Dee91, LP, londonrain and 1 other person like this.
  6. I am rooting for you @Reboot, you can do it! Maybe a concert the night before is good because you won't be able to get stressed over the interview and have your mind focused on other things. But do prepare in advance! What concert?

londonrain and Reboot like this.
  7. I almost submitted a cover letter that said "R&B team" instead of "R&D team" dddd

LP, Lapras, constantino and 6 others like this.
  8. I had two internal interviews at work recently. One was a job I have done before and had tons of examples of work I had done and a huge amount of experience. They gave it to someone with no experience who hadn't even shown any interest in the job prior to this and I was absolutely devastated.

I managed to get the other job thankfully and I am so looking forward to it as it's a new challenge so I guess all has ended up being for the best.

9. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Moderator

I’ve posted in here before about the horrible manager I used to work for - I still have to do work for her until the end of July on a more or less full time basis but my new boss isn’t bothered if I want to work from home and doesn’t mind if I’m not exactly putting 100% into doing my old job so it’s not as awful as it was.

She’s just had yet another person quit, so she’s not managed to get her headcount back to full capacity since July 2018 and is currently running a team of two (plus me), and still nobody is intervening to maybe go... wait a minute, is there a problem there? I complained but nothing went my way so I just got on with it and applied for my new job when the opportunity came up... but every time another person quits her team I get more work to do and it’s not even my job anymore, I’m only being forced to do so much because she has no one experienced enough to do any of it.

Just came to get this off my chest because I’m just up to my eyeballs with stress and disbelief that no one cares. I’m up late, up early, have too much caffeine to get through the day, get home and feel lethargic but can’t get to sleep... and can’t take a holiday until August. No pay rise because I jumped sideways just to get away from her awful management, and no gratitude for any of my help because we can’t stand each other. Truly the most toxic environment I’ve ever had to persevere with, just waiting for her to quit so that things can settle at last.

Dee91, LP, HeartSwells and 3 others like this.
  10. I finally have an interview tomorrow and I feel sick with nerves ddd. I've put so much pressure on myself over it because this is the only thing that's come through in months.

LP, constantino, Floppie and 3 others like this.
  11. 2014

2014 Moderator

Good luck <3

Floppie and Mr Blonde like this.
  12. I'm getting at a point where I'm finding it more and more difficult to get myself to apply for stuff. There's not much out there at the moment, but the vacancies that are there, I'm still putting off applying for. It also doesn't help that my anxiety seems to be rearing its head again and that I keep thinking, "It's no use applying for this one because they'll take one look at my CV and realise I only have five years' experience in a part of education that is generally looked down upon."

I feel crap. I keep imagining myself still not having a job by the time the summer comes around and falling head-first into another depression because I won't have a job to look forward to having. I've genuinely been so scared these past few days.

JMRGBY88 and evilsin like this.
  13. I get what you're going through. I left my job in October to find something I would enjoy more, but to no avail so far. I've been through a couple of depressing episodes now and it is pretty scary if another one happens. Hope you will be able to find something nice in the end and hope you won't be so anxious about the whole ordeal.

Reboot likes this.
  14. I know how hard it can be, when I had no experience and had to get a job because studying further wasn't it for me I applied to lots of things and always got rejected for having no experience. I was lucky my previous boss gave me a bone and from that look where I'm at now, almost 3 full years of experience.

Try to keep applying, even though you think you don't have enough experience. Five years should be enough I think. Good luck! I know you can do it. If you do not get a job, join a temp agency just to work 3 days a week and apply to other jobs for 2 days or so, as a back-up.

Reboot likes this.
  15. I thought it would be cute to do an internship in the summer before starting my grad job in September but now I just have double the volume of excessive paperwork to fill in

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Sam de Jour and 2014 like this.
  16. Thanks! I sent out two more e-mails yesterday. I already e-mailed those two places three weeks ago but I don't think the applications arrived because I did it wrong. (Or maybe they're just ignoring me.)

Sadly, I'm not sure how a temp agency will help me as literally the only work experience I have is in education. And joining a school via a temp agency is generally not very popular with employers (i.e. head teachers). Most schools want people to be 100% committed from day one.

17. I'd say follow up with the applications if they do not answer within 2 weeks next time, to show you're really interested and pushing for it. Good luck, again - I know you can do it!

I meant it as a back-up for if you not succeed in getting a job in September, so you'll remain busy and have something to do. When you then get a job, you can easily quit the temp agency and get that 100% in the new job. I know that when I was looking for a job it's easy to fall out of the working rythm and you have no reason to get up in the morning. So much time will bore you and it's easy to slip into a bad situation.

Reboot likes this.
  18. 2014

2014 Moderator

I didn't get it BUT I got a cute personal email about how much they'd have loved to work with me but there were just other people more qualified and prepared for the role, so all in all I'm quite relieved about how this has turned out.

constantino, evilsin and Gasur like this.
  19. I had an interview last Friday for what looked like a pretty decent company. I had only positive feelings about it after the interview. Now we just sit and wait...

Floppie and Reboot like this.
  20. kal

kal

Someone at the company I work at apparently wanted to apply for a position in a different (lower paid) team because she was under the impression she’d get a higher salary. During the interview, when asked what amount of pay she expected, she demanded to see an excel sheet of the whole team’s salaries so she could round it out.

I’m DEAD.

LP, Meathook, Empty Shoebox and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.