The Workplace & Job Hunting

Yes AI still has a long way for improvement but I see it as a valuable tool to improve or accelerate human work. Many technologies have made some jobs defunct but also created new job opportunities and helped our lives a lot, and AI is no different.

Any former teachers on here that successfully transitioned into another career? For various reasons I need a change. Not the point of my post and not looking for sympathy but recently had an organ transplant which may be needed again further down the line so need better balance and job satisfaction. People always say “There are loads of transferable skills, try the council” (been on the senior management team for a while now) but it feels like my experience isn’t niche enough. Would happily take a massive pay cut but have a mortgage to consider.
If anyone has had a good outcome from transitioning from education, please let me know. Tempted to look into a careers coach but don’t know anyone else who’s used one.

Any former teachers on here that successfully transitioned into another career? For various reasons I need a change. Not the point of my post and not looking for sympathy but recently had an organ transplant which may be needed again further down the line so need better balance and job satisfaction. People always say “There are loads of transferable skills, try the council” (been on the senior management team for a while now) but it feels like my experience isn’t niche enough. Would happily take a massive pay cut but have a mortgage to consider.
If anyone has had a good outcome from transitioning from education, please let me know. Tempted to look into a careers coach but don’t know anyone else who’s used one.

L&D roles in public or private sector organisations might be a good shout?

Yes AI still has a long way for improvement but I see it as a valuable tool to improve or accelerate human work. Many technologies have made some jobs defunct but also created new job opportunities and helped our lives a lot, and AI is no different.

For a lot of desk- based jobs I expect AI will enable the top third and put the remaining two thirds out of work.

Had an interview for the job of my dreams this week - a company that I’ve loved since a young teenager, the dream role, the interviewer was so nice (we talked about Charli and Girls Aloud)… trying not to pin all of my hopes on it! Feel like I might not have as much experience as other candidates but hopefully my passion for the industry shone through.

Sam

he/they
The way I’m pretty much my own boss now. I’ve never known such a hands off approach. It’s wild that I’m still actually in the same company, it’s a whole new way of working

Also someone handed their notice in today so here’s hoping I take their spot on the team asap!

So I've been ringing the organisations I've been applying for to receive feedback because I'm getting really pissed off with how many rejections I'm getting...

So I've found that the higher level Policy Officer jobs don't want me because I don't have any experience within the workplace regarding implementing policy, despite the fact that throughout uni I've constructed numerous policy papers and I have addressed the essential selection criteria in my application with clear examples of what I have done throughout my work history/studies that makes me a decent candidate for the role. How do I get experience within the workplace when no one will fucking hire me?

So I decided to start applying for lower level jobs just to get my damn foot in the door, mostly roles such as Administrative Assistant etc which are level 2 and you don't need a degree for. Apparently I'm overqualified for these roles????

So... how the fuck does someone start their career if there's no middle ground it's either overqualified and they think you're going to leave for something better or you don't have enough experience???? It's so fucking frustrating. I graduated in August last year, been applying for jobs almost every day and I'm still stuck in a shitty job that I have no desire to show up for. It kinda feels like it was all for nothing.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, that sucks. Maybe when you apply for the higher level, state that you will show how you would do those tasks, or eager to learn anything they think you are missing.

It’s tough times in some sectors. It’s also probably to be lucky to get a chance somewhere to start, especially in a new field where you have no connections yet.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, that sucks. Maybe when you apply for the higher level, state that you’re willing to learn anything they think you are missing or you can show them on the job and otherwise learn? It’s tough times in some sectors.
Agree. It’s also fairly common so you’re not alone in your struggles. It’s also why networking in the industry is important. People are more likely to be take chances on someone who’s referred to them by someone. Point is, @MusicLover1994, don’t give up. You’re waiting for someone to give you a break. Keep manifesting.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
The way I’m pretty much my own boss now. I’ve never known such a hands off approach. It’s wild that I’m still actually in the same company, it’s a whole new way of working

Also someone handed their notice in today so here’s hoping I take their spot on the team asap!
You betta collect on these hoes. Let them know who's IN the building!

• Love
Reactions: Sam
Sorry to hear that, that sucks. Maybe when you apply for the higher level, state that you will show how you would do those tasks, or eager to learn anything they think you are missing.

It’s tough times in some sectors. It’s also probably to be lucky to get a chance somewhere to start, especially in a new field where you have no connections yet.

Agree. It’s also fairly common so you’re not alone in your struggles. It’s also why networking in the industry is important. People are more likely to be take chances on someone who’s referred to them by someone. Point is, @MusicLover1994, don’t give up. You’re waiting for someone to give you a break. Keep manifesting.

Thanks guys! I'm just really starting to lose hope because it seems like no matter what I do I fail. I really thought getting a degree would make getting a job easier but honestly it hasn't at all nn

I'm going to keep trying but I'm just feeling so deflated at the moment.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Yesterday I sent a rejection letter - which was sooooo weird but actually liberating.

It felt nice in the sense that they have been chasing me to fill this position, but ultimately they wanted me to undertake new changes for my life that just aren't not aligned with my long-term plans. On my track, I'll be debt-free in a few short months, and accepting their offer would offset my financial freedom. It feels good to know that my skills are employable, but having power to say "no"... it was very impactful.